Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods So lets talk about late model overdrive transmissions in a 35-40 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, May 8, 2015.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

For years I have ran either Powerg;lides or TH-350's in my hot rods. With gas prices and us wanting to traverse the countryside, something else is in order. I need overdrive.

I am looking for a transmission for the Produce truck (1935 Ford) I had planned on using the 200-4R behind my 327 I have on the stand. The problem is, they have all just about dried up. What other options are out there for the 35-40 frame?

You have to hack the frame up pretty badly to use the 700R4 or 4L60 tranny. I was looking also at a World Class T5, but they must be made of unobtanium for the SBC. Tons of Mustang T5's but no SBC stuff. What about the later truck trannys? Anyone used one in the early frame? I don't even know if it will bolt up to an early block.

Talk to me.

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm using an 833 MOPAR transmission out of an 84 Chevy 1/2T pickup in my '36 3w. Chevy used the transmission from '81-'87 and the 4th gear that was used in MOPARs was changed to an overdrive gear. Be aware, if you decide to use one of these, that there are two versions - one used the MOPAR transmission bolt pattern, which requires the bell housing that came with it. The other version bolts right up to a SBC bell housing.

3. I love the overdrive stuff. Depending on the Rig it's going into I may go auto or stick. I really don't like the late stick overdrive units due to the shift handles being part of the tail shaft. Ford, G.M, and Mopar all have stick shift trannys that use what looks to be your Old School Hurst style shifters. Add to it they all are plenty Tough. Ford has what's commonly called a 3+1. It looks like a standard T-10 Top loader 4 speed, however the 3rd gear position on the shifter is 1 to 1 and 4th gear position is Overdrive. G.M has the same basic thing that appears to be a standard 4 speed. Then the Mopar one is an 883 same thing. I like looking at stock looking Old School shifters in Rods not the Cheezy handle and position of the T-5 stuff. Then there is the fact you don't need any kind of adapter for any of them, just the correct factory bell housing for any 4 speed per gender (Ford, G.M. Mopar).
    The Wizzard

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I find it hard to believe that there are no 2004R's out there, They were produced in large quantities across several model lines. I have bought a few of them, as I have stumbled across them, and passed when I had 'enough' on hand. In my mind, a 2004R is hard to beat in your intended application.

Also, any of the 'name' trans builders offer them rebuilt and ready to go.

Ray

Model T1 likes this.

5. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

2004r is perfect for your application especially if its set up for a glide or th350.

the 350 was designed to be a bolt in replacement for a glide and the 200 is nearly a bolt in for a 350,same basic dimensions, uses the same yoke and the shifter linkage is pretty close to the same place.

Move the crossmember back 4"(ish) and add TV cable and brackets and a 200 will drop right in.

Well worth the added time it takes to find one.

BTW, I started looking for one to go in the Wife's Buick, took me an hour to find it and had to drive an hour to get it,$200 bucks.

Hnstray and Model T1 like this.
  6. Roothawg

Roothawg

There are only 2 listed on CL within 300 miles of me and both guys are flaky at best. I'm still looking though.

7. When I was having a hard time figuring out adapting the clutch etc in my 39 pickup I grabbed a 2004r off CL for a hundred and a half. Luckily I straightened out everything and am using the T10 I wanted (and didn't have to become one of those "shiftless" people) but I'm pretty sure if it's a 200 you really want, you'll find one soon enough.
    I've heard ok comments about the newer pickup sticks but I believe they're probably too large for your application. Yes, they will bolt up btw.

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks. I have feelers out. My first choice is a 200-4R, but I am not locked into anything.

9. Liberty faceplated TKO 600 fer me! Bang gears as hard as you can allll day and put it in the big hole (.64-1)on the way home!!!!

10. Try searching for 200R4 trans and you might have better luck, don't know if you made a typo or not.

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've put a lot of T-5's (non WC) behind various chev blocks and they hold up fine up to 400hp (ish). I may not recommend doing hole shots with a posi and drag tires but for everyday hot rodding they do fine. If you use a IROC T-5 you have to build an adapter for the trans mount because the T-5 sits at about a 45 degree angle to allow for increased ground clearance under the IROC. I just installed a T-5 from a 88 V-6 2 wheel drive blazer behind a flathead for install in a 34 ford frame, nice fit, should handle everything my flatty throws at it and the shifter is all the way forward so it comes through the floor in the right spot well head of the seat. just some ideas. I paid $250 for the trans, $400 for a freshen up and $125 for a hurst shifter adapter on e-pay.

12. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I set up my current 40 sedan build with a 2004r case then began to think I would not be able to find a core to build. The case I was loaned was not buildable. At the V8 club Creek Count swap meet a couple of weeks ago I put a sign on my trailer saying I was looking for one. A guy stopped by and said "there is a trailer over there with three on it". I hustled over there and bought one. When I told the guy who is building it for me, he went and bought the other two. I had walked right by without seeing them. Sure glad to find one.

Model T1 likes this.
  13. Model T1

Model T1

I'm old and my knees are older. Put a rebuilt swap meet 200R4 in my 55 Chevy wagon ten years ago. Love it.
    Thinking about putting one in to replace the powerglide in my 39 Ford SBC coupe. They're out there.

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The correct GM name for the trans is "200-4R".........unlike the "700R4". Always wondered why the number/alpha arrangement differed, but that's how it is.

Ray

Last edited: May 8, 2015
    Model T1 and fourspeedwagon like this.
  15. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks. I looked up the part number off the ID tag and I believe it's an 84 200C not a 200-4R. The guy doesn't really know what he has.

16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I wouldn't write that one off so quickly. That sure looks like a 200-4R to me. Has the longer case, multifit bolt pattern, etc. common to the 200-4R. I've had a TH200 and the case was noticeably slimmer from the mid section back than the 200-4R version.

Ray

17. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I agree that the Dallas one looks like a 2004r.

18. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I should add that you won't have to modify the driveshaft, P/G TH350 and 200 all have the same working length.

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

Really? Hmmmm........

This is what I found on the web.

1st digit: month of production (A through M, skipping the letter "I")
    2nd-3rd: production day of the month
    4th: shift transmission was produced (1st-3rd shift)
    5th: assembly plant (T: Three Rivers, MI; J: Windsor, Canada; W: Warren, MI)
    6th-7th: decade and year
    8th-9th: or 8th-10th: transmission ID code
    10th-13th: or 11th-14th: transmission serial number

86-90 200-4r trans used a 15 digit number.
    1st digit: calendar year built.
    2nd, 3rd, + 4th: julian date.
    5th: plant shift
    6th: Hydramatic plant built at
    7th + 8th: model year vehicle installed in
    9th + 10th: two letter code
    11th: is the letter F, denotes 200-4r
    last 4 digits: serial number of the trans

Apparently he sold it. He may have another one though. I'm waiting on a response.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  20. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Identifying a TH200-4R vs. TH200

[​IMG]
    Photo of TH200-4R transmission

The TH200-4R is identified by 10 bolt holes and 2 dowel-pin locator holes on the universal bellhousing. It has a dual bolt pattern for both Chevrolet and BOP (Buick, Olds, Pontiac) applications. The TH200 has only six bolt holes and 2 dowel-pin holes.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks. That helps for those who are new to the OD world.

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. i don't know but back in the 80's when i was working at a trans shop they were called 200R4's.

23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I am not disputing what they are commonly called, often in error. Nor do I wish to change that. My post was in response to the fellow who thought the OP had typo'd the name in the first place. He had not. GM referred to them as THM200-4R. People are free to call them whatever.

Ray

270dodge likes this.
  24. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

To add to the confusion not all 2004r's are dual pattern, the vast majority are but not all. The one in the Wife's Buick is BOP only and I have another that's Chevy pattern only. They are first year productions

25. Roothawg

Roothawg

Well, thanks to the HAMB and Hot Rod Cowboy it appears that I have a 200-4R headed my way. Hopefully it's a good core. $80. I may start collecting these things for future use.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  26. Hot Rod Cowboy

Hot Rod Cowboy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just went and picked up this trans for Root. All I'm going to say is you see some 1st-rate hillbilly when buying stuff off of Craigslist in Texas!!!

Attached Files:

27. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks again and I am guessing I was right about the guy being a squirrel.

28. Model T1

Model T1

Actually no matter where the R is they are pretty good replacement trannys for a Powerglide or Turbo 350.:rolleyes:

volvobrynk and Roothawg like this.
  29. Roothawg

Roothawg

Amen Brother. I gotta have OD.