Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Curbspeed Coupe. "Holy Hell" 10/4/2020

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by curbspeed, Dec 19, 2010.

1. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

Beautiful work Dale! Love the height of that rear window moulding.

curbspeed likes this.
  2. Update. I built a glove box for the 1938 Ford deluxe dash that I retro fitted into the 34 yesterday. Wanted to make it nice and deep but ran into my heater and cowl vent. Had to only make it 6 inches deep(insert joke here Bada Bing! AC Battery Box Car parts 008.JPG AC Battery Box Car parts 010.JPG AC Battery Box Car parts 011.JPG AC Battery Box Car parts 012.JPG AC Battery Box Car parts 013.JPG AC Battery Box Car parts 014.JPG ) 11 wide by 6 inches tall. Enough room to lock up a few items of value. It will work. I don't like the cardboard stock stuff. Probably would have not worked anyways. I love building shit. One more thing off my punch list. The quest continues. Thanks for looking. Hope it's not too boring.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
    mgtstumpy likes this.
  3. I forgot to put up a picture of my A/C slash battery box that I'm in the process of working out details AC Battery Box Car parts 026.JPG AC Battery Box Car parts 027.JPG AC Battery Box Car parts 028.JPG . It has a screened vent on the bottom to intake air. I will have dual Oddyssy PC925 batteries in this box. to make sure I have enough power. I am running an early Corvette generator with a tach drive unit on it and want to make sure I have reserve power to spare. These little batteries can be set in any position and that works out great for small cars. I will use a universal dual battery kit like the 4 wheel drive guys do to run all the accessories. I hope it work out. I think it will. Never done it before but I ain't skeered. See, plenty of room to wire them up. This whole mess goes behind the seats.

mgtstumpy and D-Russ like this.
  4. Don't drop the battery on that toe! Looking good....

5. Xman

Xman

Sure like your dash!

curbspeed likes this.
  6. Jimmy

Jimmy

Really nice.

7. Thanks you for the nice comments. I will be building a battery hold down bracket and mounting a battery kill switch today. I'll post later.

8. Ed Wrath

Ed Wrath

Progressing well! :)

9. Battery hold down brackets made. Can't find the damn Battery kill switch I had. I hate misplacing parts that I want to use. Vent on bottom for air intake for A/C also. Fasteners I found at Ace Hardware to hold down the top too. The batteries fit in there nice and snug. Should work out pretty well. Now where is that damn cutoff switch? ACbox 002.JPG ACbox 003.JPG ACbox 004.JPG ACbox 001.JPG

mgtstumpy, Tim, Outback and 1 other person like this.
  10. Started another small project yesterday and finished today. Lots of pictures. Here goes if you want to know how to build the ultimate hotrod cup holders.
    Ok, I like to have something to drink when I'm driving. Not alcohol anymore, thank goodness, as I've been dry for 2 1/2 years. You know, pop, water and coffee. The usual alternatives officer. In my roadster pickup I was always spilling shit everywhere. It's hard to shift and drive and hold something between your legs or tuck somewhere. So I decided I wanted some cup holders in my coupe. Not normal crappy billet cup holders or some plastic pos that rides the hump. No, real honest to goodness ultra bitchin' finned aluminum hotrod flavored cup holders. Follow along and I show you how.
    First, scour the swapmeets for these Stilko spin on oil filters. They are usually pretty cheap. Nobody uses them and I don't know what they where used for. Maybe diesel truck? Who knows? It don't matter. Cupholders 005.JPG Cupholders 006.JPG Cupholders 006.JPG Cupholders 007.JPG for originally but this is what they look like

mgtstumpy likes this.
  11. Next, Take all the guts out and pitch in your junk bin. I always hang on to stuff like this as I never know when I'll need to make something. Set the inner tube in a vise and turn the filter housing off of it. It comes right off with a little muscle. Cupholders 008.JPG

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  12. Next, take your 90 die grinder and use it carefully to take that ugly parting line out of your fins and then trim the top lip back as it hinders the looks of the unit. I am pointing. File or carefully grind this smooth and break the edge for a cleaner look. Cupholders 013.JPG Cupholders 012.JPG Cupholders 011.JPG to the excess lip to be removed. File the excess of the material out of the grooves. It is very time consuming so be patient and it will turn out great. Cupholders 010.JPG

mgtstumpy and brEad like this.
  13. I will be using some flat strap 1/8 x 3/4 for the mounting holders and I am using 1/4-20 elevator bolts so the heads will be flush in the bottom of the cup. Acorn nuts will dress it up. Disregard the threaded knob as I went with a different style in the end. Cupholders 015.JPG Cupholders 016.JPG

mgtstumpy likes this.
  14. Next, I drilled a .266 hole in the bottom of the filter in the center. Then I polished the hell out them to make them look pretty. I marked my mounting strap where I wanted to make my bends and drill my holes. Hotrod cupholders 002.JPG Hotrod cupholders 004.JPG

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy and brEad like this.
  15. Hotrod cupholders 016.JPG Hotrod cupholders 015.JPG Your going to want to drill and tap your mounting hole first. If not it's going to be hard to tap it after it's bent. I decided to use these type of turn thumb/wingnuts, Ford air cleaner nuts is what they are marked as at Ace Hardware. Hotrod cupholders 007.JPG Hotrod cupholders 012.JPG

mgtstumpy likes this.
  16. Hotrod cupholders 017.JPG Hotrod cupholders 013.JPG Hotrod cupholders 019.JPG I put the elevator bolt down in the cup and bolted it to the bracket. Mounted the bracket to test fit on my underdash package tray to see how it was going to look. I ended up using a one inch long elevator bolt in the end with an acorn nut. The one in the picture was for mock up. Hotrod cupholders 019.JPG

mgtstumpy likes this.
  17. Then to have a look see. I can move these anywhere along that rail on the package tray. I can also make another bracket if I don't like where these are in the future. I like it as of now though. Hotrod cupholders 022.JPG Hotrod cupholders 021.JPG

mgtstumpy likes this.
  18. Next, I detailed them with some copper paint. I will be using copper as an accent color on this car. And that is how I built the ultimate finned aluminum bitchin' hotrod cupholders. Hotrod cupholders 024.JPG Hotrod cupholders 025.JPG Hotrod cupholders 026.JPG Hotrod cupholders 027.JPG Hotrod cupholders 028.JPG

brEad, chop job and D-Russ like this.
  19. More work. Hop MAG FINALLY 015.JPG Hop MAG FINALLY 017.JPG Hop MAG FINALLY 019.JPG Hop MAG FINALLY 018.JPG

mgtstumpy and ls1yj like this.
  20. I continued to piece the compound curves hammering over the breaks and trimming off excess until I welded it all and smoothed it out. Had my good buddy Kirk Ward(thanks) punch some holes for me and it's almost done. Just a couple more little things and move on to the next project. I have a punch list I'm picking off. Final fit and finish will come when I start bodywork. Rear pan 34 001.JPG Rear pan 34 002.JPG Rear pan 34 003.JPG Rear pan 34 004.JPG Rear pan 34 005.JPG

mgtstumpy, brEad, ls1yj and 3 others like this.
  21. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

You have quite the collection of bitching ideas.. Those cup holders are awesome. Keep at it!

curbspeed likes this.
  22. U-235

U-235

Your the man Dale...love those cup holders........but I am a little concerned about the position of your foot feed.....your leg is going to get tired holding it up in the air like that....

curbspeed likes this.
  23. I assume your kidding U-235. Throttle rod is not hooked up so spring is holding it in that position. Thanks for the props guys. I'm trying. I see your in Aces and Eights Car Club. You guys supported me big time. Do I know you?

24. Man, you are too good. Amazing. Gawd' I dig this car. It's good to know, I probably can't build it .... but, I'll know how maybe. Detail heaven and fine print in BIG friggin' letters. Bitchin' ... as always. Thank you !

curbspeed likes this.
  25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

There is a lot of really smart shit going on with this build.. a whole lot...

hipster, curbspeed and Bam.inc like this.
  26. seatex

seatex

Damn Dale, you have really got it going on. This car gets more bitchen' with every post!

curbspeed likes this.
  27. You guys are giving me too much credit. Really. I 'm just a redneck Swede that wants a bitchin' hotrod. My motto is 'Fake it until you make it". Got a couple more things done today. Received my Pure Hotrods early Ford F-1 style shock mount kit yesterday and proceeded to smooth out all the bumps in prep for chrome. I am making the upper shock mounts with front F-1 shock mounts cut up and severely modified. You can see in the picture I have not finished the uppers yet as I have to wait till the body is off the chassis to set them up the way I want. Also made a gauge pod out of an electrical outlet cover. Found it at work and thought I could modify it to work between my 4-speed and E-brake on the tranny cover. Not sure what gauge I'm putting in it yet so I just stuck my start/run/kill switch in it for now so you could see. It will get chromed too. 004.JPG 001.JPG 002.JPG

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    mgtstumpy, brEad, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  28. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Yeah... curbspeed; you say"fake it -'til ya make it
    & then I say"if ya can't make it right, make it bright"
    Don't be so modest; this builds kickin ass.

Outback and curbspeed like this.