Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 8BA Coil Bracket

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bandit Billy, May 7, 2015.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This probably isn't very interesting to many but I am getting my engine ready to mount in my frame and I have been trying to find a neat place (by neat I mean both tidy and cool) to place the MSD coil. I am trying to keep the firewall tidy so I thought I would hang it off the front head in the original position but with a few upgrades for aesthetic purposes. I couldn't find what I wanted so I built it and thought I would share it.

Started with cardboard and went through a few design changes to make it both structural and simple as possible.
    coilbracket.jpg
    Then transferred the pattern to thin aluminum that is easy to work with, using double sided 3M tape to hold it together so it could come apart to make the pattern without destroying it
    coilbracket1.jpg
    Then made it out of 1/8th stainless steel, ( I will polish the crap out of it later)
    coilbracket2.jpg
    I made the bracket to hold a polished ribbed (for her pleasure) coil cover designed primarily for firewall mounting. I bought this on from the nice folks at OTB gear. Very high quality, studs in the rear so you don't run bolts through your coil and a set screw in front to secure the coil. Polish job was excellent.
    coilbracket3.jpg
    It needs a couple of acorn nuts I think, my wife says I could use a few extra, pretty sure this is what she was referring to. Then a simple job of 2 bolts to hold it in place on the front of the head
    coilbracket5.jpg
    I tried my best to keep the bracket at the same angle as the distributor and maintain clearance on my water pump pulley. it is also off the block and away from the head so as not pick up any more heat than necessary.
    coilbracket6.jpg
    And a shot form the rear. Needs polishing but you get the idea. Plenty of room top side for distributor adjustment and a short distributor cable is all that is needed. I used the chrome MSD so the top would match the polished cover (and it was 7 bucks cheaper than the red one?).

Like I said, not highly technical and may not be to everybody's liking but it fits my look and my style...which is basically "if it runs-its good, if it runs and is shiny-it's better". I hope I didn't waste your time but it was fun to build and I wanted to share. Thanks for looking. Bandit 10-10 on the side.

Attached Files:

waxhead, Mikel50, cretin and 2 others like this.
  2. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks nice and clean....well done!

3. millersgarage

millersgarage

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

thanks for the positives guys

5. Blue Coupe

Blue Coupe

That is way cool! Thanks for sharing.

6. very nice clean job

7. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Very nice work. Wish I could weld that good. I would have to do a lot less grinding;)How about showing more of the nice little flatty?

8. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Nice job, I like it.

9. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

10. That looks perfect brother

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It isn't quite done yet but getting close now, I didn't have a pic at work today with yesterdays coil addition but this is the little flatty you asked about 39guy. Warning: do not look directly at image for prolonged periods of time, eye protection is suggested.
    flatty10.jpg
    flatty9b.jpg
    Like I said, I know it is not to everyone's traditional standards. thanks again for the kind words.

12. hell with traditional that's bitchin..................

13. pumpman

pumpman

Damn, I looked too long, now I'm dizzier then my normal dizzy! Talk about eye candy, hew!

14. CTAV8

CTAV8

The first thing that goes is the color.

Jet96 likes this.
  15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

yeah, regarding the color, I'm a big fan of Ford Royal Maroon, had a 69 Mach, a 66 t-bird and a 69 XR-7 drop top all that color, so the motor, frame and body on the 34 are all going to be the same...but with a tan rag top and maybe a Wimbledon white firewall...if I don't cover it in engine turned (shiny).

16. One of the most amazing stock motors I have seen in a long time!

17. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thanks for the pictures! That is a beautiful engine!

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the coil bracket tech as that may get a few brains kicked in gear on fabbing their own pieces. That engine looks more like and art piece than an engine. Way cool and beautiful though and here's hoping that it runs as good as it looks.

19. 46Chief

46Chief

Nice process, nice design, nice fabrication. Well done sir!

20. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Really looks good. Nice job.

21. frosty-49

frosty-49

would look good in mine

22. heminh2o

heminh2o
    from Tulare, CA

If that's what the motor looks like, what does the car look like that it will be going into?

23. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

Who's manifold & drive are you using & where did you get the water pump pulleys? I like it. Bill

24. fatkoop

fatkoop

"hell with traditional that's bitchin.................."
    X2

25. 36tudordeluxe

36tudordeluxe

DROP DEAD GORGEOUS! When I was younger I used to reserve that comment for just women but I've matured now.

26. Very nice, love it.

27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry, tuned out for a bit there...mothers day and the whole bit.

Anyway, to answer a couple of questions (and thank you for the interest outlaw) the blower, pulleys, intake and heads are all Navaro goodies from Mike at H&H. Good man, Mike, he and his pops were a lot of help assisting me by phone in assembling the blower and blower drive assembly. the water pumps came from Mike as well with his polished pulleys attached. I bought the books, but H&H made it a reality.

Heminh20 (personally I like scotch and water), the car it is going in probably wont get a lot of "creds from the peeps all up in here" but I promise to keep it as traditional looking as a new steel bodied car can be.
    speed1.jpg
    the car is a Speed 33 body, I am making mine a 34 since I have a titled 34 roadster frame with a champ QC that she is going to be bolted on top of. Black e-coat so it doesn't rust in the pacific northwest until I put color on it. Top is driftwood, hard to find Hertz cloth, zip out window, long doors which I love being 6'2 and 250 lbs worth of gear head. They also cut down a wise guys seat that fits the car perfectly giving me a lot of head room inside that chopped top frame. I can hear the dissention already but I'm deaf in one ear so it bothers me less than some.

Mr48chev, your words are kind, it is art that I am going for...the drivable kind...but art none the less.

28. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

Bandit, Thanks for the reply. I have a 36 three window retirement project a couple years down the road still & I plan a 4-71 blown flathead. I'm collecting parts & ideas for it . Oh yeh & Scotch on the rocks. Thanks. Bill