Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Dream road trip finally going to happen, LARS here we come!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODSWE, May 4, 2015.

1. HOTRODSWE

HOTRODSWE

Hi all

I'm in my final steps on my dream road trip planning and I'm so excited! I have bought a 32 roadster that I will ride from Wisconsin down to Los Angeles for the Roadster Show. I’ve never been there and I have waited for the best part of my life to be able to do it. I’m turning 50 at the week before L.A.R.S. and now it’s time to do it!

The plan is to go from Bloomer, WI to Salt Lake City on the I-80 and then down to Las Vegas – Palm Desert – El Mirage – LA. We will start on the 25th of May and we will have time to stop for nice places as well as having some time for potential break downs!

Anyone living near the route? I would love to have some contacts to reach out to in case of any problems

The car is not 100% my preferred style and so, but it’s a fresh new build, only wonder what new car gremlins she has….only 90 miles so far

[​IMG]

60'coupe and Hotdoggin DaddyO like this.
  2. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I sounds like a great trip, and that looks like the perfect car to do it in! I'm about 5 hours south of Bloomer (between Chicago and Milwaukee) so I'll be a little out of your way, but I hope you have a safe trip and best of luck.

3. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Sounds like a great time! I'm near Salt Lake City and could help if you guys run into issues.......just let me know.

4. Not anywhere near but a hints. Get you hotel reservations if you haven't done so. Take long sleeve shirt & good sunshade hat & plenty of sunscreen & water. It is a big area & you best have your best walking shoes on & maybe take a extra pair of socks to change about midday.Get yourself a ID tag say that you ar a HAMBr so folks will recognize you. You will have a blast . Be aware of potholes & rough paving as Cal freeways are not the best conditioned roads . A bit rough riding in a short wheel base roadster. Last was probably my last as being over 81 I'm getting too old & my stamina ain't what it usta was. Sure would love to do it again tho. I think OLE Burn Out Bob is just about burned out. Might have to come up with a new handle like Just Hot Ashes Coals.

5. DSCN4235 - Copy.JPG
    Forgot the pic for above post. Heh HEH HE

36couper likes this.
  6. You would look good going down the road.:D

7. Drive'em

Drive'em

Just a suggestion. I took a road trip in 13 to Bonneville on my way home from Louisville. When I left SLC I took 80 to Tahoe around the lake then to Monterrey and down thru Big Sur along PCH. That is one of the most beautiful drives in the world. If you can make a slight change of plans you might consider that route.

oldcars.acadia and Special Ed like this.
  8. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Don't know what you don't like about that roadster. Looks perfectly kool to me. I'll be there with my avatar. Probably spend most of my time in the swap area. A lot of us HAMB guys are getting together out there. Look for my roadster and come over and introduce yourself. BURN OUT BOB did last year. If you do take the coast route add another day to your schedule but it will be worth it. The worst part of that route would be from Sacramento to maybe San Meteo and then back across Los Angeles to Pomona.
    Gary

jetman likes this.
  9. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats on making a great decision to DRIVE to the LAR show. You will not be disappointed in any sense!
    Like BB Bob says, take all the body protection & a hat for sure. Rainex applied to your windshield is a must, you never can under estimate in & out of sudden storms. In my 5 trips across the USA, its best to be prepared for any event. Also are you packing a spare tire? I always do, choose a size between the front & rear for that problem flat.
    Arriving in Pomona early will gain you lots of open house builders & parts that eagerly love to promote their wares.
    Picnic Hill is always a treat on Sat. afternoon (before Fathers Day) for all participants of the LAR show, it has become a great feed at no cost to exhibitors of open cars 1937 & earlier.
    Receiving an engraved English pewter mug at the LAR shows end, will be the thanks from LAR for making the effort to show your roadster for all the public to view. Not to mention the driving adventure you will have had plus the memories!
    Have a great time, & be safe!---------Don

10. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey there, BURN OUT BOB, I hope you see fit to do ONE more LARS. My wife and I are cruising from San Antonio, TX. to San Dimas for our first LARS. We drove out to Sou Cal in October for El Mirage, spent 6 days enjoying the weather, visiting rod shops and just diggin' it. I would also enjoy tipping a few with you as two old roadster drivers doing what we do best. Please think it over; we again hope to see you in San Dimas.

11. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will be nowhere near to help you in case of trouble since my wife and I are leaving from San Antonio, TX., taking the highways and byways west through New Mexico, Arizona, and into California. You are making the trip of a lifetime for a rodder. Your new ride looks quite up to the task. We have a similarly equipped '32 Highboy we will be driving. BURN OUT BOB offers some really good advice for ragtop cruising. Hope to see you there, but I hear it is a huge gathering. We will be the ones in the red roadster, one of 63. HUH ? Good luck on your trip, and safe sailing after the show.

12. I'll be there hoping to meet as many of you hoodlums as possible:D

13. Don't forget to take lots of pictures and maybe to a road trip log on here. I'll be there in the panel again, 95% of the day in the swap area. If you forget water or sunscreen I'm sure there will be other HAMBers that will have extra.

Main thing is to have a great time......

14. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

I'm on the other side of Pomona from your route but have driven it many times. As others have said, cover up and sun block but also, bring lots of water! It gets blazing hot and you will be driving across a desert with large areas of a whole lot of nothing. If you are not used to the heat it can be a literal killer. I have a squirt bottle that I use to spray myself periodically to help stay cool. I also use a wet tower on my neck. Avoid leaving Vegas area headed to LA on a Sunday as traffic can be bad the whole way.

I would also suggest headed west from SLC to Northern CA and then down the coast. It will be a much nicer drive.

Either way, have a great trip and there is nothing like a road trip in a hot rod. Just beware of the HRDF (hot rod delay factor)! Every stop you make will require extra time to talk to people and answer questions about your car. :)

Flathead Dave likes this.
  15. Gary I started a new thread as I didn't want to hi-jack this one. See Ramblings of an Old Fart.

16. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AAA membership plus the optional roadside assistance seems like a sensible move, especially in a largely untested vehicle. They've a scheme for visitors to the US too but i don't know what that entails exactly. Last time i looked membership wasn't expensive but not sure about the roadside assistance element.

Will be checking this out myself after 10 years of trying my luck, and getting lucky!

Chris

17. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I forgot to say, enjoy the journey :)

Chris

18. brady1929

brady1929

Great roadster

19. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I live just down the freeway (10 miles) from Pomona where the LARS is put on. It is at the Pomona Fair Grounds (L.A. County Fair Grounds) which is in L.A. County. You'll have a good time if you follow some simple rules.

1. Remember that the area is in gang territory. Be sure that you know where you are at all times.
    2. Always have a planned route and a map while in So. Cal. it's easy to get lost to newcomers.
    3. Our freeway's suck! They are not kept up properly and they can become congested at any time. The beach is 40 mins, the mountains are 40 mins and the the desert is 40 mins away. So. Cal is the desert except that we are irrigated.
    4. If you go to the beach, be prepared to pay at least $20 for parking for all day. Depending on which beach you go to. If you want a decent time, go to Balboa, New Port, Huntington, Redondo, Venice, Coronado, Hermosa. There are more but these are near Pomona. Coronado is in the San Diego area and is good to go to. NO DRINKING ON STATE BEACHES.
    5. GAS IS EXPENSIVE HERE! Now it is pushing $4 per gallon.
    6. Do not make eye contact with other drivers. Let them have their space and road.
    7. Always have WATER for drinking.
    8. NEVER DRINK AND DRIVE HERE! NEVER! ZERO TOLERENCE!
    9. NEVER HAVE AN OPEN CONTAINER IN YOUR VEHICLE! NEVER!
    10. Let the police know right away if you have a CCW and are carrying. DO NOT HIDE YOUR WEAPONS. We will find them. Make sure that they are properly registered.
    11. Carry sun screen and wear hats.
    12. Basic common sense will make your stay in So. Cal. very enjoyable.
    13. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THE STREET VENDORS! Flowers, fruit, toys, fake furniture etc. The flowers are stolen most of the time. The fruit is old. The toys are usually stolen and very cheaply made. The fake furniture is home made crap and sometimes they use formaldehyde and other chemicals in the materials. BUT...you can buy food from street vendors at the beaches if you dare to....
    14. Have fun.

I am here if you need anything.

20. HOTRODSWE

HOTRODSWE

Thanks for all help. Anyone living close to I-80?

21. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Flathead Dave is right on topic!
    Best reason I moved from SoCal to Oregon in 1984.
    In Ca. you would NEVER get a CCW.---Not a problem here in Oregon.
    You will have a great time regardless!
    I'll see if I can spot you while driving my rented golf cart around the fairgrounds.
    Keep the shiny side up!----------Don

22. HOTRODSWE

HOTRODSWE

Made it to Salt Lake City!

23. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Great, enjoy your dream road trip, a lot of us never manage to make that trip. :cool:

24. Special Ed

Special Ed

Excellent!!!!
    Don't let these guys scare you about stuff happening in Southern California. It's no different than any other big city. We get millions of visitors here every single year taking advantage of all the sights and the mild weather. Please don't believe everything you read on the internet ... :cool:

60'coupe likes this.
  25. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Just injoy and have fun ,be safe.

26. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Just injoy and have fun ,be safe.

27. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

DON'T JUST LEAVE US HANGIN'!!