Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration "Hot Rod" By David Perry

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Never seen or heard of this book. After looking at the posted pix I have seen quite a few of those, probably posted here on the HAMB.

I probably would never buy it though, I have zero interest in the pictures of the people that are living the "lifestyle", I'm not hating on them, its just not my thing, to each their own.

I do enjoy the rides and architecture of the era. I have seen some pics of Royalshifters home, Id live in it in a heart beat ... very cool styling.

2. Tony

Tony

Add me to the list that had not heard of it, but will be buying one.
    What i do have is a HUGE, like poster sized, framed picture of the "69 dawn-El Mirage" on my mantle that was a gift.
    I see it every day. Lol
    Unbelievable photography.

Tony

3. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

It's a great book and the gal sitting on the roadster on the lake bed has been a phone background on all of my phones that I've had. I like the shot of you Ryan (nice hair).......and to think that all of those days when you didn't allow shots of 'the boss'.

Chris

4. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Have owned this one since it first came out.. Still one of my favorites.

5. HandsomeRob

HandsomeRob
    from Austin!

This book came out right around the time I started to take notice of the hot rod scene. I was still a year away from getting a drivers license but dammit if I didn't want to be a little greaser haha. Never did nab myself a copy but still fondly remember flipping through a buddies. Looks like it's time to hit ebay....

6. plan9

plan9

I look at books like this and wonder where the hell time went?

OHV DeLuxe, jakespeed63 and Ryan like this.
  7. autobilly

autobilly

A version of this "scene" was alive and well in Australia in the mid 80's. I've also never seen or heard of this book, but I just bought one.;)

8. Muttley

Muttley

I've heard of it but never looked through a copy.

9. Chevydeuce

Chevydeuce

I would call it subculture.
    I´m born 1975 so I had my 15th birthday 1990. I´ve already been deep into cars back then and Rockabilly/Psychobilly was the musik I listened to. It was not only imitating that style or trying to follow that new "in" thing, cause it really wasn´t so popular at that time. Here in germany the most Rockabilly folks didn´t even have the chance nor the money to get their hands on a fine american automobile. They were driving old Opel Rekords and Ford Taunus...
    in the middle of the nineties that changed quite a bit and then that book came out. Just at the right time.
    It was sure a big inspiration.
    So many people were first into that musik and style of the 40ties 50ties before they got cool cars, so they did not try to imitate that style to be part of that car scene.
    About time to dust my copy off and remember those times. Hard to believe it was nearly 20 years ago!!!

jakespeed63 likes this.
  10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

It was not a subculture at all.The landscape was a page out of Orwell's 1984 in the so called "Streetrod World."
    It was,plainly put.Fucking Gross.
    The Dave Perry book changed it for A LOT of people… no matter there age or origin.
    Got mine at Tower Records.
    There was no internet.

In the early 90's you really could buy a old hotrod with a small nailhead that no one wanted for about 4-5 K.But that's because everyone swallowed the purple fibreglass billet IFS Tweed Kool-aid.
    The Mighty Rev. Jim Jones was alive and well.

The NSRA was a Bloated Penny Loafer,Hawaiian shirt shit show.
    GoodGuys always reminded me of Uncle Ernie from the Tommy Soundtrack.

A few years later,…. This was published.The Hamb was a year old and it was a much different time. HRD1.jpg

11. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

@Jeff Norwell, awesome characterizations of the NSRA and Goodguys. I didn't know anyone paid attention to the rest of Tommy other than track 13. I was one who fell victim to that particular "uncle Ernie" but I have been cured partly thanks to the HAMB. I never saw this book, but numerous copies are available on Amazon.com so I can get one soon. Thanks @Ryan for bringing this book to the light of day for a later convert.

12. banjorear

banjorear

Well said and so true. I can remember going to the NSRA Nats East in York just about the time the change was happening. You had a weird mix of cars. The majority were the from the tweed Kool-Aid camp, but the traditional cars that made the scene were all the rage.

The folks that sunk $100-200K into their street rods by Posey's and others were pissed as hell that some primer car done for $10K was stealing the spotlight from their very well done, but gaudy as hell paint job. After seeing the two cars side-by-side, one could quickly see that some of these street rods just had no soul. They were put together almost seemingly by formula.

I still remember seeing a particular glass '34 roadster there. I don't know who made the body, but it was more street rod than hot rod if that makes sense. A picture would help to tell the story, but here goes.

The car was trailered by a Provost RV. Right there the guy had $500K just in that, but the paint scheme is what was just over the top. It started on the RV and flowed to the trailer. It was one of those jobs done with multiple layered lines highlighted in fluorescent piping and a bunch of flake and pearl. Look through any late '80's Street Rod mag and you see something similar.

The trailer was glass sided and, when you looked at the entire rig from the side, you could draw an imaginary line from the paint scheme from the RV to the trailer. Once the car was put into it's place in the trailer, the paint scheme then followed the lines on the car.

I was certainly impressed by the workmanship, but I kept thinking why? Why would someone do this? Clearly the mindset was more about the show than about the go. I felt the traditional revival hot rod revival movement was against this mindset. They were all about driving 'em and having fun with 'em. That was a definitive turning point for me.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    jakespeed63 likes this.
  13. Damn, looks like I will have to start hunting around, for one of these books. The photo of the chick, sitting on the front tire, of that '34, is an iconic image. Remember it from way back when. David is The Man.
    This whole retro thing, hit me like a ton of bricks. First time, I saw a copy of Hot Rod Deluxe, I was hooked. (still have it!) Here was people building cars, just like my Uncle used to, back in Florida Roadster Club circa 1951. And all on a shoestring budget. Some things don't change. Had to add it to my Amazon wish list. Olds' Rocket motors are expensive to build.:cool:
    JT

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  14. autobilly

autobilly

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I understand the whole lifestyle thing the slicked hair and rolled up pants and tattoos and all that.
    At least I think I do. :confused: I just never could get my head around it. And definitely never wanted to participate in it.

It's kind of like the bikers. They all want to be rugged individuals and stand out, yet when they are all together with their studded leather and bandanas and all that, they all look the same and like some caricature of a group of pirates. :D

The Hot Rod book I read when I was a kid is the one I prefer, Hot Rod by Henry Gregor Felsen.
    As I said, I do like the photographs however.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    GreenMonster48 likes this.
  16. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Dang,I always wanted to get that one! Now since this post I went out and found one,it's on its way

17. Ohhhh God......never thought of that...great now I gotta go get a American Flag do rag, some black jeans that don't fit that well, cut the sleeves of my wolf howling at the moon t shirt, some black tennis shoes / boot looking shoes...or cowboy boots....the wife's gotta loose the bra, get a tiny tank top, some mom jeans, and be dazzled boots, maybe a chain wallet....hey that's the beauty of America...we get to do what we want for the most part....

Live to ride...ride to live.....

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

And sometimes look really really funny doing it :D:D

19. Got My Attention! :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

20. doublehipness

doublehipness

Anybody know anything about that Hellbillies mc car or club?
    I have had that book for years & never been able to get any info on them.
    And that blond made a big impression on me as well!

21. Lingerie for Hot Rodders

22. I have his older Pin Up book....great photography, cool cars and hot dames! I need to pick up this book now too...

23. seatex

seatex

^^^Okay, Jeff, you win the "Tell it like it was" award!^^^
    [​IMG]
    I'll be damned................... (I think Perry had a better view than you did!:rolleyes:

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  24. Firepower71

Firepower71
    from Atlanta

one of the best. thanks for revisiting this collection. timeless images, very inspirational.

25. chigger

chigger

I found a copy online and it came the other day, Guess what?...... It's signed!!