Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead fuel pressure gauge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chiro, May 6, 2015.

1. chiro

chiro

Running a 59A with two 94's. I have had some fuel pressure issues with the stock style mechanical fuel pump so I want to put a pressure gauge on the fuel distribution block. Problem is that most pressure gauges don't read well at the low pressure (1 1/2-2 lbs.) that the 94's are supposed to run on. I'm looking for a mechanical gauge with a 1/8" NPT fitting built into the back, 1 1/2" in diameter, NON-liquid filled that will read the low pressure. Also, it should look like it fits the era of the build. Haven't found anything yet. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,

Andy

2. alchemy

alchemy

There have been threads in the past about this, and I have posted on them as well, but nobody I've ever ran into has found such a gauge. A nice small gauge with a scale from 0 to 5 would be great. But nobody makes one.

3. Yep ^^^^^ perhaps a gauge for an industrial HVAC application but it is going to look modern.

I think I gave a 7 pound gauge to a fella here on the HAMB quite a few years ago. I have no idea where I found it or what it was actually designed for.

Something to think about is maybe going to a larger gauge and mounting it in your firewall. I have seen 10 pound gauges in the larger size and while it won't be as accurate on the lower end you will at least be able to read it and once you get it dialed you will know what to look for when you are looking at it. Firewall mounted gauges are as traditional as the day is long.

4. 36tbird

36tbird

Yeah, about the best you can find is a 0-15 but they show the 2 psi OK. I found a really small pressure gauge at Pep-Boys in the rice rocket speed parts department and it seems to work OK. You don't really need to worry about precision, just something that shows trends in case your regulator starts messing up.

5. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Found this one on flea-bay for about $20. It might fit the bill. I don't remember seeing a lower reading gauge but they might have one. (Marshall) fuel_press.jpeg

6. BucketHeadBart

BucketHeadBart
    from illinois

7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Dash board..:D..

8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've used several low pressure gauges from Jegs on my flathead powered cars. Mine have been liquid filled.

10. Andamo

Andamo

Wika makes a 0-3# gauge, but it's in the $50 range.

11. chiro

chiro

Thanks Myk,

Found it on eBay for $15.00 shipped. You da man.

Andy

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  12. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

You are more than welcome. Mike

13. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

I'm curious what's wrong with liquid filled? I have two (Speedway) that work perfectly. One is back at the tank just off the pump and the other is under the hood on the fuel block. Probably 1.5" or so with IMG_0662.jpg 1/8" connections out the back! g

14. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

When it got warm under the hood my oil filled gauge would not read. Found out that pressure builds inside the gauge and counters the pressure coming in. Dry gauge in the same spot works perfect.

pat59 likes this.
  15. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

OK...I just never had that problem. I have had liquid filled gauges in every race car that I've raced over the last 40 years. Can't really say how hot it got "around" the gauges...
    Could it be that you have a bad gauge. I can say unequivocally that my under-hood flattie gauge reads correctly even in the Texas heat after several hours in a traffic jam! g

16. LOL I have had more gauges fail from vibration than heat in my time. Even my stuff that is well balanced and I know for a fact that it is shakes. :D

17. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Yeah, I have had liquid filled gauges on equipment and stationary hydraulics work perfectly. Just not here. I think that its small size and in the flow of fan wind did it. The gauge still works fine when cold. Replaced it with the one pictured above and AOK.

18. chiro

chiro

Yup. I have a liquid filled gauge there and it failed to read after the engine warmed up even a little bit. Did a search on the HAMB and saw others had the same problem so I'm switching out to a dry gauge.

Andy