Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1950 shoebox rocket 324 oldsmobile

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950shu, May 26, 2012.

1. 1950shu

1950shu
    from california

I wanted to go oldschool on this one,so i decided 2 go with the 324 rocket,if any one has any tips or advice on installilation let me know.......

2. Colville

Colville

Good choice, unless you can get a J2... either way, olds motors are rad

3. Rideron66

Rideron66
    from Virginia

Nothing cooler than a rocket in your Rod, good luck with the build.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

As I recall, if you use a stock Olds pan you need a "dropped" tie rod center link for pan clearance. There may be other relatively minor clearance issues, but I think that is the main one.

Ray

5. what about mounting the engine - it is a front mount engine, the flatheads weren't. Is there an article out there or suggestions by others who may have done it?

6. You use a hurst style mount on this install and aside from pan clearance there is also a starter clearance issue as I recall. That said they along with the caddy were a popular swap into the old fords way back when. The starter issue is overcome with a starter swap from driver side to pass side.

GOATROPER02 here on the board will have everything you need to make this happen and he'll treat you right while he is doing it for you.

7. Thanks man I got a few 303 v8 engines and I am thinking I might want to put them in my 51 ford.

8. what tranny are you planning on using?

9. Running a ford overdrive.