Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Nasty Habit Willys part 12....A few changes.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi Kev, Oct 24, 2012.

1. chevy3755

chevy3755

can i have a ride........

2. photofink

photofink

Lets do this. Nasty Habit filmed charging down the streets of Ventura and Barona footage with Blasters Live at the Bowling Alley soundtrack. :)

3. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

Needs to include a stoplight wheelie but I dig the idea

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. photofink....I don't believe there is any Blasters footage from the bowling alley, it's an urban legend.

5. Hey Kev,I am at the point to where I need to upgrade to a 9".I currently have a 57 Olds with 35 spline spool,ujoint girdle,4.88,5.57,2- 3 rib cases,posi unit,moly yolk,35 spline&31spline axles,brakes,long 1/2" studs,billet cap on ring gear side on 1 of the cases,measures 37 -1/2" backing plate to backing plate,know anyone interested? Sorry didn't mean to garbage up yer thread tho! This rear fits 14-32s under my coupe and is in my avatar.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  6. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

"Lets do this. Nasty Habit filmed charging down the streets of Ventura and Barona footage with Blasters Live at the Bowling Alley soundtrack."

I second, third, and fourth that!

"Photofink....I don't believe there is any Blasters footage from the bowling alley, it's an urban legend."

Haha...yeah really! I was there when he recorded it, but I haven't seen it either.

7. 60'coupe

60'coupe

I think Photofink is a URBAN LEGEND...

8. dmorago

dmorago

Like your work, I love to see a man working the problems and challenges that come from a love affair with Willys gassers. Some day, I would like to visit you in Ventura. I have enclosed a picture of my 40 Willys running at the Beach. Enjoy, Dick Morago Morago & Hooykaas Lions Logo c.jpg

9sectruck likes this.
  9. Thanks Dick. You are welcome to come visit any time. It would be an honor to meet you. I had a picture of your coupe in my scrap book when I was a kid.
    When I raced at the antique Nats' at Fontana I got one good run where it stood right up and didn't miss any shifts, made a clean run under power, Turns out I had left my club plaque on the track when the bumper touched. I had no idea it went that high.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To stop my bending axle problem I decided to use an undrilled stock Willys axle and box the back side of the I beam. It still looks normal from the front but a lot stronger. I cut some 3/16 plate to shape and mig welded it in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also put the club plaque back on, this time with a hinge.

[​IMG]

I sold my funky daily driver 69 Buick Skylark and bought this 99 Tahoe so I finally have my own tow rig. Not bad for about 3 grand. Loaded up to go have some fun at the 48th San Diego Antique drags at Barona drag strip. I race at this meet back in the 80's when it was held at Carlsbad. My friend Perry went also and raced his roadster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Barona is such a great track, it is 1/8 mile and is like racing at a camp ground in the mountains. Really nice people running it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First run went OK but I smelled all kinds of burnt clutch. I remembered I smelled a little on my last run the last time I raced it at the antique nats too, checked out the linkage and it needed adjusting so did that, second run it picked the front wheels and took off but wouldn't go into any other gears so I adjusted the clutch fork stop. Third run I was in the right lane and it pulled a wheelie and headed straight toward the guard rail, when it landed it missed the the wall by about 2 inches, pretty exiting!
    When I got out I went straight to the fender to see if I'd scraped it but no. It usually launches straight so I put it down to uneven tire pressure. Everything worked fine for run 4. It stood up on the bumper and it went straight so I kept my foot in it and didn't miss any shifts. FUN! Rest of the day was more of the same with a few duds. Couldn't believe it when I counted my time slips, I made 11 runs! Best was an 8.0 at 86 mph. I have no clue what that equates to on a 1/4 mile and I probably don't want to know but this is a street driven car that only races 2-3 times a year. I can't believe how much abuse it will take.

[​IMG]

Hinge worked great....

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  10. woodbox

woodbox

Your rear bumper....do you have it filled with lead shot.........or plutonium 235? It would appear that you have balance issues! Or is it the helium in the front tires? Fronts 4' in the air and the slicks aren't even wrinkled!
    Looking great Kev.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  11. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Looking good Kev, it must be a blast getting 'er up on the bumper and banging the gears!

The standard conversion for 1/8 to 1/4 mile is to multiply the 1/8-mile times by 1.56 or 1.57, that will get you pretty close to a true 1/4 mile ET.

An 8.0-second 1/8-mile time is around 12.48 to 12.56 in the 1/4-mile.

12. jays41willys

jays41willys
    from nj

hi kev.I haven't for got your friend with the glovebox.I will give to him for free.if you want to sell your drill willys axle or make a trade with my willys axle.thanks jere

13. Jere, thanks. I am keeping the drilled axle for sentimental reasons. It came from the Orange Plus gasser and I've had it for about 30 years.

14. brady1929

brady1929

15. 40mel

40mel
    from SoCal

Kev, your Willys looks great. Pretty respectable for a 283 and makes for a fun day. Way to dial it in.

16. desotot

desotot

I love that Willys, I realize I need one too.

17. F-head

F-head

Kev,
    damn impressive as usual
    thats one badass 283
    cheers,
    B

18. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

19. 40mel..... I guess I am behind on my updates. We have replaced the short block, it now has 355 inches, C&A aluminum rods and forged flattop pistons. We used the cam, heads etc from the 283. I got the short block from a friend in a trade. It had 13-1 pistons but I wanted it to remain street friendly so I stepped up and bought a new set of flat top pistons and bad everything balanced before assembly. It now pulls off the line instead of jumping up and falling.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    40mel likes this.
  20. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

cool willys---enjoy watching your progress. Grew up in the Central Valley and saw a lot of them back in the day-Airoso Bros, Texiera, Big John, Stone Woods and Cook, the black one with the big Ford motor (can't recall the name)-yours is spot on--congrats

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. 440 deluxe

440 deluxe

Kev. That's just "bad ass" nothing more to say

22. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I know I haven't seen a lot, but a car lifting that high with a street mill, must be one scary mill. Like it a lot, and awesome pics!

23. The Nasty Habit sure gets it done!! One of my favorite cars. Well done Kev!:D:cool:

24. jays41willys

jays41willys
    from nj

25. good looking car Kevin
    when I rearch springs I use a slip roll run it back and forth and keep tightening it

rod1 likes this.
  26. Good to see you having so much fun with that "Frankenstein Willy's" Kevin! :)

27. Woodbox... Looks like the tires wrinkle for the initial launch but only for a half car length or so, then again, weird.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9sectruck and volvobrynk like this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

Spring wind up will do that tire loaded then unloaded.

29. Those are great pictures and congrats on getting back to the track.