Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Jalopy Journal #3 Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 27, 2015.

1. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thanks guys. Stunning

Geoff aka whodaky

2. ...'been thinking about the "portrait stuff". The photos were all very good from a technical standpoint and I enjoyed viewing them, but then I'm into photography. After looking at them a while and studying the lighting and composition I found myself wanting to know more about the people. Who are they? What's their story? Some more information, maybe just brief captions, would have perhaps made it more interesting. Don't give up on this.

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  3. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

If you like the portraits you can buy George Brainard's book All Tore Up. Get it here:http://utpress.utexas.edu/index.php/books/brainard-all-tore-up

WE do an artist feature in each book and thought these were a good tie-in to cars since these are all photos taken of people at a car show (LSRU in particular). I personally love them and love Georges work, BUT I hear the comments loud and clear; less people and more cars. We have some ideas for artist features for the next book and I promise you the subject matter is more "car" than people. Thats all I have to say about that.

Thanks guys!

4. bathcollector

bathcollector

Mine arrived today, very nice work once again. But, as with my #2, the envelope was split all down one side again, long way to New Zealand, how the book stayed with it I don't know ? Wouldn't mind a copy of #1 either.

5. Mine was split two sides. Australia Post ran some tape over them to hold it all together.;)

Typos? I've only read the Argentina story, but there are spelling and grammar issues in that. (e.g. 'then' rather than 'than' and by pension I think you mean penchant.)

Having said that, I love the book. Like #2, the feel is wonderful, good art direction makes it a pleasure to look at and read and putting the ads in the back is a really good idea. I don't think there is any doubt they will be studied just as much as everything else. Other publications should take note!

6. Swede64

Swede64

Love #3, got it today just before i went to work. Good thing it´s been a slow day at work so far making me get thru the book the first of many more times. Like most others, more cars, less people but this is not a must.
    Keep up the good work, it´s an absolute joy to have this quality product in my hands.
    You´ve raised the bar for #4 !!!

7. bald_and_grumpy

bald_and_grumpy

Don't listen to those whiners complaining about the portraits. They were great.

8. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got mine, really enjoyed the reads and photos, not sure about the portraits , .........one major question, what happened to page 52 ? Mine is completely blank

9. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I got mine on Friday after work. I gave it a quick look over as I had a huge list of things to do this weekend. This is the first one I have purchased and my initial thoughts were "WOW!". Well, the wife is happy after a great Mothers Day and the kids are in bed and our new puppy, Coupe, is passed out at my feet after a great family post dinner baseball game and I finally got a few minutes to start reading it.
    All I can say is that I wont be on the HAMB for a while as I barely managed to put it down long enough to write this. Thanks Ryan and crew. This looks fantastic and so far, has been a fantastic read. The photos are killer and I cant take my eyes off them. Just trying to see the pic from all angles, not just what the initial focus is, the stuff on the walls in the back ground and such, they just tell a great story.
    I know you are probably looking for more of a critical feedback and ideas to improve, But man....I cant think of any.
    Back to the book,
    Latter guys :)

10. I got mine last week. I've only read the first few stories so far. I've been enjoying it...savouring it. Much like a fine scotch, I didn't want to swill the whole bottle in one sitting.

JJ #2 was great, but I wished it had been longer. JJ #3 seems to have exceeded the quality of #2, as well as the content. I think it's absolutely a home run.

As for the portraits, I didn't mind them at all. A little something different, and very well executed. The cars are so much the focus, but cars are only a reflection of their builders. It was neat to see something unexpected when I flipped the page.
    And if you really want to get down to it with your art gallery metaphor, well, every art gallery is going to have art that somebody doesn't like or appreciate.

11. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

12. Still hoping for a re print of #1.

13. Sakke

Sakke
    from Finland

Yes. I really hope that you consider of printing the first issue. I suppose it is a document of that era and it has pictures of cool rods. You could write a foreword about your feelings about first book and we have our responsibility about buying that. Limited edition maybe..
    Anyway JJ #3 is a must buy. The book came to Finland last week and I finished it last night and I enjoyed it really.
    You have done a great stuff and I`m looking forward seeing next one and a reprint..

14. Got mine in the mail last night.
    The mailer package is thrashed, torn and crumpled on all corners.
    Looks like multiple postal workers used it as a frisbee against a concrete
    wall. The book has bend damage on all the corners.

I haven't started to read it yet, but I know it will be great,
    I really enjoyed JJ2.

But I will say this, any book cover and binding of lesser quality would not have
    sustained the kind of punishment mine has gone through.

15. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

dig it.
    ditto on #1.

16. 35desoto

35desoto

I received mine over a week ago and have now read it twice - and still intend to go back and read it again - Presentation wise I am rapt that it can keep JJ2 company on the coffee table - same presentation and great quality. It survived the distance downunder in a not too bad condition - the envelope was open but the book safe and sound. Loved the articles on the cars and the people around them!