Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Show me your Shoebox grilles.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadpete, Aug 26, 2010.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

If you think about it, Ford interchangeability was excellent through 1948 -- all the cars that had been developed under Henry's watchful eye. It's only from '49 on, the cars that were completely new except for the engines, that they got stupid about interchangeability.

2. Wow. The Cal-Custom grille info on this thread has grown! I want to contribute a piece of instructional paper aka. a "How-to mount your Cal-Custom grille" that I own.
    Awesome job John on digging out all the info on the bullet-delete grilles.
    Maybe start a new thread just talking and researching the Cal-Custom/Bullet-delete grilles?

Attached Files:

daddio211 likes this.
  3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

One I built to imulate a 49'...Glass nose built to take a 51' grill but liked the 49' better so I fabbed grill out of SS to fit the opening..

Attached Files:

4. bobfrev

bobfrev

wow haven't seen any pictures of the cal custom center grille bar in years, I have one and its been sitting on a shelf for damn near 30 years, clean and straight no rot or dents, just light surface rust from laying around for that long, replate and go, just the center bar piece not the upper grille piece, have no idea what its worth and don't really care since I probably have had it over 30 years, forgot I had it but was cleaning and moving stuff and came across it the other day and now I read this thread, anybody have a need for it???? drop me a note, Bob

5. atomickustom

atomickustom

Cars made before 1949 don't really exist in my world, so I will take your word for it.
    (my initial response was going to be "they made cars before 1949?" But I was afraid someone would think I was serious and lecture me about what an idiot I am. I already know what an idiot I am, I don't need a lecture.)

6. John M

John M

In case anyone is interested, there is a 49 Ford smooth grill on eBay. It is not perfect, has some dings and the chrome looks a little worn. Copy and paste the following into the search bar, "1949 (1950 1951) Ford Cal Custom? Grill Bar" and the auction should come up. This was listed last month and was bid up to $162.50 and didn't break the reserve. I would think in the condition it is in it wouldn't be worth too much more than that.
    John

7. 162. should be plenty for that. Some guys pray on supply and demand and it works sometimes. I got one a few yrs back for 100 with dings and driver chrome and 50 ford 702 (Large).jpg that's about as high i'll go for the condition.

8. John M

John M

In case anyone is interested, there is a seamed smooth grill on Ebay right now. Looks pretty decent. Search for Cal Custom bullet delete grille for the Shoebox Ford 1949,1950,1951.[​IMG]

9. barfers

barfers
    from Florida

great bunch of posts its a hard decision for sure

10. ahshoe

ahshoe

Here's mine Added about 6" to each end of a 53 Chev grill. Extra 2 teeth hide the evenly spaced total of 5 teeth.

Attached Files:

11. U-235

U-235

What a great thread by John......now, if he'd just cover the modifications needed for the Pontiac and 54 Ford....I'd be in heaven. Right now I can't decide on which to use in my 51.

12. TS057

TS057
    from Fargo, ND
    1. shoe box hambers

P5030005.jpg

Do you know what these teeth or bullets are from? How about the surround, is it just the stock opening molded in?

13. John M

John M

14. TS057

TS057
    from Fargo, ND
    1. shoe box hambers

Thanks for the link! After browsing through the pics I think I've figured it out. I'm fairly sure it's the stock grille opening molded in. As far as the teeth I think they are Ford F1 teeth that have been flipped upside down and moved in closer together. I think it was that fact that they were upside down that threw me off!

Attached Files:

15. Karl Schofield

Karl Schofield

Seen any of these recently? I am looking for one for my car.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

16. Karl Schofield

Karl Schofield

Have you seen any recently? If you come across one please let me know

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. John M

John M

There was one that had been on Ebay about a month or two ago that had been up before. It was a 3 piece type for 49-50 Fords & had the filler piece for the hood. It was pretty expensive and probably why it didn't sell. There is a seamed grill for a 50-51 on Ebay now. It's pretty rough but is only $39.50. Search for, "1940's/1950's AFTER MARKET CUSTOM GRILLE/FORD ? HOT STREET RAT ROD VISOR" (without quotes). Maybe a good chrome guy could fix it. Good luck & if I see any more I'll post them here.

18. John M

John M

The one I mentioned above is back on Ebay. Search for, "Vintage Cal Custom Grill Bar and Hood Notch". $650.00! Looks like it is for a 50 Shoebox and is a seamed model. [​IMG]

19. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-5-21_5-56-40.png 2017
    Hello,

In the late 60s early 70’s, I went to Santa Ana, CA to check out a black 51 Ford Coupe. It was set up for drag racing, but fully legal to drive on the street. I knew I could put on some custom surf racks on top to hold our longboards, but, removing that back seat would have allowed me to slide the longboard in most of the way. It would necessitate a red flag tied to the rear of the sticking out board.

The motor was a flathead with three carbs on it. The transmission was a floor shift LaSalle 3 speed. Being familiar with the 3 speed LaSalle in our 40 Willys, it was a nice looking set up. The car was a 50s style coupe with blackwalls, chromed reversed rims, and a slight lowered rake. The motor had a mild cam and simple headers tied into the muffler system.
    upload_2018-5-21_5-57-38.png upload_2018-5-21_5-57-51.png A similar looking Ford
    The price was very good and I almost brought out the cash for the purchase. But, I knew that the significant other would not like the roll bar just behind the front seats. So, I went home empty handed and asked if the 50 Ford Coupe was in line for purchase. (our 65 El Camino was up in the 90s by then) Just like I predicted, after the description of the car, everything was fine until the roll bar was mentioned. From that point on, it was a blank stare. So, we went looking for a 46 Ford Woody with no roll bar or street performance items, just a stock woody to cruise around So Cal.

Jnaki

We did not buy a 46 Ford Woody, but another 40 Ford Sedan Delivery for our next car. It had all of the necessary stuff that met the approval of the other half of the equation. But, that black 50 Ford coupe always lingers in my mind as a "what if..." cool looking daily driver, racer, nice bullet nose, etc...

The following is an excerpt from an older story on this Ford coupe and unusual grille.
    Hello,

At the Lions Dragstrip Museum event, there was a 51 Ford sitting in a wing of the complex. People walked by and glanced at this old race car from back in the early 60’s. It was worn and showed signs of a car that had been raced many times over in So Cal.

It had an unusual front body panel that served as a platform for the gas tank, and as a shroud for the motor compartment. There was even a matching air cleaner scoop for the carburetor. The interior was immaculate in its machining and metal work.

The information posted on the window just called for more research of its history. The Ford was owned by Carl Swift. He was given the title of Irwindale Raceway’s “Mr. Unbeatable” because of his race records.

A small time racer with a win streak a mile long, turning times that any racer would love to have racing. He wasn’t the big time gas class champion with a blown Hemi or in a lightweight Willys, but a 51 Ford with a Flathead motor.
    upload_2018-5-21_6-0-41.png upload_2018-5-21_6-0-53.png
    Jnaki
    As I was standing there admiring the Ford, an old drag racer walked by and said, “That car was always the class champion at the drags. Boy, he won everything.”

Carl Swift, Irwindale Raceway’s “Mr. Unbeatable”

Hot Rod Network:
    Article by Dick Martin
    A young man who was about to be shipped to Vietnam approached Swift to sell his 51 Ford Flathead with fender mount headers built by Doug Thorley. Fender mount headers for a Flathead V8? Exclaimed Swift, thinking there was no such thing. He bought them for car for $200. Years later, Doug Thorley told Swift if he ever had a problem with them, he would repair them for free. Swift’s drag racing numbers advanced by tiny increments. So, anytime he could shave some weight off or gain a horsepower or two, was a bump up. He happened to stumble on Flathead gold. Or should we say Canadian aluminum gold, In a Glendale auto parts store, when he asked if they had any Ford Flathead parts. They said there were some old aluminum heads the store thought about tossing. He purchased the pair for $35. They were a point higher in compression than the cast iron heads.
    upload_2018-5-21_6-1-29.png upload_2018-5-21_6-1-38.png
    The aluminum intake manifold was courtesy of the Long Beach Swap Meet for $35. An aluminum timing cover was laying in the dirt at an auto repair shop in Pomona, which Swift promptly bought for $15. (Note Swift’s dazzling aluminum shaping after he restored the coupe.) Swift’s drag car became a nickel and dime project over the years, as were most early hot rod race cars. Yards project, but built many a 32 Ford and Swift’s 51 Ford was no exception/ this was not a thrown together a work in Salvage progress over the years. The aluminum work that Carl crafted speaks for itself, doesn’t it?”

upload_2018-5-21_6-2-7.png upload_2018-5-21_6-2-18.png

20. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-6-22_5-56-28.png
    Hello,

We have all seen nice grille set ups on cars, trucks and sedan deliveries. They add closure to the quality of the vehicle build. It is the small things that make or break the cruiser or hot rod. This Ford Sedan Delivery had an excellent grille set up with just the right amount of extra touches to make it complete. The painted headlight ring makes it look like the extensive “Frenched headlight” look.
    upload_2018-6-22_5-56-59.png
    The addition of the sun visor is/was to keep out the glaring So Cal sunny days, giving the driver/passenger a clear view of the drive. Remember, the front and two side windows are the only thing with clear vision on these sedan deliveries. The rear door window just shows a big 4x4 pickup in your rear view mirror. So the outward vision is hindered to say the least. (like in most sedan delivery makes)
    upload_2018-6-22_5-57-37.png
    Jnaki

The final touch was the addition of the cool labeled, Ford Fog Lights on the bumper. After all, we do have dense fog on some coastal driving days. (not that fog lights are legal in So Cal)

upload_2018-6-22_5-58-15.png

21. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

A couple of grills I found while searching for one for my '51 2dr Custom DeLuxe - a '55 Nash Metropolitan & a 9 tooth '54 Chevrolet. Finally decided on a '55 Chrysler rear over ride bar that I had cut down & re-chromed. IMG_0052.JPG IMG_0185.JPG

22. dutchrodder

dutchrodder

Also looking for an original 49 grill , when somebody has or knows something , let me know

23. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I believe I have one..Not sure how complete it is; too hot to go look..Be cooler in a few days..

24. xgarfieldx

xgarfieldx

25. ahshoe

ahshoe

Here's mine 20151212_112401.jpg

50Fraud, spiffy1937 and John M like this.
  26. John M

John M

27. Thanks for the wealth of knowledge and before I waste money on my 50 shoebox