Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 38 LINCOLN ZEPHYR COUPE

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by oztinbasher, Jun 3, 2014.

1. CadMad

CadMad

Gday Mate, U and i did speak on the ph a few months back. I have the 39 Caddy custom. We should catch up for a beer when i get back to Brisbane in few weeks. I'd love to see the Zephyr in the metal as a comparison to what I have done on my Cad. Now that Ford vs Holden means nothing . . . Cadillac vs Zephyr could suffice

Attached Files:

2. Good work Steve. I may have to see you soon, our last meeting turned out successfully!

3. Wow. What a save !!! What the hell does something like that cost to fix ? Is that rude to ask ? This is amazing. Fix a roof? WHAT ROOF !! Geez......you are one talented guy brother man.

4. Be good to see this thing done, i'll wait till its back at Richards as he lives down the road from me to check it out.. but man i'd expect nothing less from what i've seen of your work Steve!

5. desotot

desotot

Wow! very cool, very long, this is going be a very classy custom, looking forward to seeing more pics. Keep up the great work.

6. I just hope Richard doesn't go all street rod with it like he did with that '36 Coupe.. Be a shame to see this filled with all that billet shit and digital gauges like the last one had..

7. CadMad

CadMad

I dont know Richard. . . but can we organise an intervention. . . or at least can someone point him in the traditional direction? That Zephyr demands a traditional build. To see another Scrape would break my heart.

8. oztinbasher

oztinbasher
    from oz

Thanks Guy's, The Zephyr is getting a big motor and will be more hot rod than custom. But that is about all I know of the build after i'm finished with my part. Richard wanted to put a V10 but ASRF knocked him back as that is over the 460ci max. The body has to be separated from the chassis as well. Thems the rules we have to play by here in Oz? Cadmad give me a call if you want to drop by.
    Cheers Steve. P.S the roof was somewhere between 5- 8K

9. Graveyardsaint1

Graveyardsaint1

Kool.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Any way to repost the missing pics in post 4. Love this work!

11. Please what he said.

12. oztinbasher

oztinbasher
    from oz

All the photos are still there?

13. fortynut

fortynut

It is good to see craft so refined it skirts being called just that. Steve, you are an artisan, without doubt; and your skills, I am sure were purchased with diligence and devotion, because with seeming effortlessness your work bridges the gap between pure magic and the kind of repair that makes mere mortals weak in the knees. I used to sit in one of those old putts parked rusting in a shed; looking at the snaps, I still got a buzz from the odd thinking the designers managed so long ago, each element suggesting lasting elegance. I am glad in my heart to see one saved to live in another incarnation. Your touch, as I have said, is magic of a high degree. Keep the faith.

14. CadMad

CadMad

Did you waterboard the owner till he repented and decided to go traditional?

15. Sorry, your right, it was because I was trying to see it using the mobile app, not from my computer. Looks great! Thanks.

16. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

X2. My sentiment exactly. Very well phrase. "Those who can, do. Those who can't, marvel and wish they could."

17. GKM

GKM

Wow, that is impressive. The first picture looks like its a lost cause with what was done to it. It astounds me some of the things people do to cars and then just give up on it.

18. I tried to use the ozrodders chat board to tap in to this great talent pool but was blocked. I guess you need an Australian e mail account prefix

19. Any way to post a cross section sketch of all the components used to construct the door frames. Still trying to wrap my head around it! Thanks in advance!!

koolkemp likes this.
  20. oztinbasher

oztinbasher
    from oz

Hi Guys,
    I haven't been putting much on the internet lately, and most of my paid work is rust repairs on muscle cars.
    There has been a few jobs since the Lincoln, but here are some photos of the frame. I think I made channel for the lower part with a long edge on the inside, and stretched the sides to get the curve. The top part was a Z section with the edge shrunk and stretched to form the curve and the two pieces welded together.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kage, Aussiepete. and dana barlow like this.
  21. I'm not often speechless, but............................it must be magic!

22. Here's my interpretation. Does this seem right?

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430157993.763837.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  23. oztinbasher

oztinbasher
    from oz

Almost, the door frame becomes a box section. The bottom one is a channel and the top is folded at 90 degrees.

24. I musta read what you just said about 200 times. So. #1 is a U shaped channel? Which other # is bent at 90*? My first attempt at making a doorframe almost got me kicked off the board so I'm trying really hard to make amends.....

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430234659.804920.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  25. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

26. came out well ... =0)

nice progress ...

27. oztinbasher

oztinbasher
    from oz

There's not that much to it , if you are making this kind of door frame the U channel will have to just be folded at about 45 degrees until you stretch the curve in it. Here is a drawing of a sectional view of the door frame.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers Steve

28. Ok. Thanks!!! What about the gutter lip?

29. oztinbasher

oztinbasher
    from oz

The gutter lip was like your first drawing made on the pullmax.
    [​IMG]

Kage likes this.
  30. Again, thanks! Probably have to try my hand at a hammer form for that piece.....