Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Recreating the jesse lopez coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jivin jer, Aug 18, 2012.

1. jivin jer

jivin jer

001 (4).JPG 002 (3).JPG 003 (7).JPG 004 (3).JPG I actually was glad that these 1/4 garnish moldings had to be redone, it gave me a chance to reshape them a little bit. I wasn't happy with them prior.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
    ThunderRocket, Eric H and RICH B like this.
  2. greybeard360

greybeard360

Those turned out awesome Jer. Can't wait to see it at the Jerico car show.

3. Those look great Jer !

4. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

very nice Jer ;)

5. justafordguy

justafordguy
    from saginaw

Soooo looking forward to seeing her on May at the Jericho Car and Bike Show.

Another great job Jer

6. jivin jer

jivin jer

006 (2).JPG Thanks everybody. These seats have been cut down so much that I can actually see out of the windshield, just like a normal person, amazing.

drdave, Peanut 1959 and MUNDSTER like this.
  7. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

LOL - are you going to be able to see the stop lights?

8. jivin jer

jivin jer

I know that you meant that comment to be humorous, but it isn't to me.

As I immerse myself in the car culture of the time which is late 40's - 50's, I'm struck by how impractical these cars were. There was A LOT sacrificed for "coolness". When I learned that Jesse didn't go (almost) anywhere without a "spotter" it made perfect sense. The spotters task was to keep you on the street and out of trouble. Being able to see while backing up, HA, forget about it. You had one mirror that was made inoperable by how much that back window was laid down. To be able to keep your cool custom that you put years of sweat and blood from being damaged, you "didn't leave home without him".

But that was then you say, not to worry "these day's" you say, YA RIGHT. Once again we are reminded why these cars lost favor and were discarded when the "swoopy" late 50's cars arrived on the scene. Why put up with that crap when you could drive a "space ship" and have the girls whistleing at you (for a change).

daddio211, 296ardun, TonyVan and 3 others like this.
  9. Torchie

Torchie

Having owned a "Survivor" custom from the 50's I feel for you Jer. It truly was a time of "Form over Function". Hard to see out of. Had to watch out for every little bump in the road. And forget about crossing rail road tracks. But it was a time machine that took me back to the way that things used to be.
    I miss it.
    Torchie

Eric H likes this.
  10. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Well said Jer - well said.

11. Jer, you should have no trouble finding volunteers to spot for you!! Car looks awesome. ...you gotta drive it!! ;)

-Dave

12. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

In my 1940 Mercury, I have no problems at all with the view. But it is hardtopped, so there is no thick B pillar. Otherwise it should be pretty similar to your car. The view through the rear window is no problem at all when backing up.

But my 1940 LaSalle convertible is terrible already in original. So, I guess with a Gaylord style top I will need at least two spotters. Female! :p

jocktherock likes this.
  13. jivin jer

jivin jer

007 (2).JPG Finally got the radio done.

MUNDSTER and RICH B like this.
  14. vwdave30

vwdave30

This car is just beautiful so much attention to detail

15. TonyVan

TonyVan
    from Vancouver

Going back up the thread to the garnish moldings.. What is that chrome trim on the outside of the rear side window? I think I can see it in old pictures of the Lopez car, but I've not seen it on another '41.

16. jivin jer

jivin jer

I asked Jesse (many moons ago) what that molding was. He said it was stainless. I asked if it was made from the original surround for the ¼ glass. I couldn’t for the life of me figure out how that glass was mounted if that was the case. He said he couldn’t remember.

I told him that Junior had made the very front small molding that edges the brass sheet on the front fender of his car out of brass that he had chromed. Junior said that I should use the chrome plastic moldings that are available today for that purpose. I was very grateful for that “slack”. I told Jesse that I was going to do the same thing here on his car. He didn’t object. It’s 3/8” chrome plastic molding.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    Atwater Mike and Germ like this.
  17. TonyVan

TonyVan
    from Vancouver

Thanks for the info and the background. And congratulations on the car so far!

18. jivin jer

jivin jer

002.JPG Junior's car will be there too...here it is...or is it?

19. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

One of the best custom threads on the HAMB!

20. Germ

Germ

This is the best thread I have read in a long time. I log in to see if it has been replied on. This is one of my favorite cars of all time. I started studying the Kustoms as a kid, and how they were built. I tried my hardest to absorb all the details. This car always stuck with me.. I have some pictures of the original that I have collected and when I got to go through all that Barris original archive stuff, this car was a key aim in the search for things related to its creation....
    The job you have done with the car is amazing and I'm excited for you. I'm not known for being a nice guy or typing things coherently, but with all the douche nozzles on here trying to have the "traditional" big dick pissing contests, it is nice to see something that was studied, built with passion, creative direction and with the original details remaining as the paramount of importance to the build..
    Thanks for doing something that will spark an interest for the real history of Kustom car building. The rest is all bullshit! The cars are what is important..
    xoxoxo
    -germ

21. Germ

Germ

I see that "report" button on these posts and I think, "Damn that shit would of been busy in my heyday on this board" anymore, I just build lowriders, raise my kids, skateboard, and study Kustom history..
    100%er's
    FTW

22. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

"The Germ has Spoken." Pissing contest and all! Hi Germ. And fine work Jerry.

23. jivin jer

jivin jer

Thanks everybody for the kind words. Germ...I have to say that it's for guys like you, and I count myself as one of them, that this project was done for.

daddio211 and Eric H like this.
  24. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Holy crap. Germ AND Ken the pinstriper weigh in on your build thread. You're living right, Jerry.

25. jivin jer

jivin jer

001 (3).JPG 001 (3).JPG 006.JPG It may be a bit premature, but this will help the 'what the heck is this', crew.

Eric H, RICH B, eric54chevy and 2 others like this.
  26. Torchie

Torchie

27. jivin jer

jivin jer

001 (5).JPG 002 (3).JPG 003 (2).JPG The church is about twenty minutes away. Here comes Junior. Jesse is waiting in the wings. Gramma and me will leave at about 9:00 am or so and come back and get the JL coupe.

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  28. jivin jer

jivin jer

001 (4).JPG My glass guy is sick, so I will go without the inside windshield stainless trim. This means no Appleton's. I found out that I need a steering column bushing when I tried to install the steering wheel. I will have these pics in the back seat.

Tanoki likes this.