Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Engine Stand for 1951 Ford Flathead V8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John M. Hulley, Apr 28, 2015.

1. John M. Hulley

John M. Hulley

I have been following the threads regarding an engine stand for the flathead V8 with interest, as I will be needing one sooner rather than later. I have searched the archives and read many posts about them, but have found few sources recommended. My motor is a 1951 with the separate bell housing, so I could use the type that bolts on the back, or get the adapter plate to bolt to the exhaust holes.

What I want is a decent, reasonably priced AMERICAN made engine stand. I ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY DO NOT want a Chinese stand. No way. Period.

I would love to find a KRWilson or a Manzell, but I don't have the luxury of waiting until one shows up. I have found that OTC still makes one in the USA that can be found for under $500.00, and want to know if there are other American stands available in that price range.

So, are there any recommendations? Has anyone seen or used the OTC stand? Anybody got a good one that they are done with and want to sell?

John

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

check parts classifieds here, and place Wanted ad. might try: verntardel.com or Stumpys Fabworks or Reds Headers

3. John M. Hulley

John M. Hulley

[​IMG] Verntardel has this one, which could work. Simple, inexpensive, and American made. I will check out the other vendors as well. Thanks!

4. tjelwood

tjelwood
    from oklahoma

I saw a Old KR Wilson at a swap meet Saturday. Man those are cool. If you're just looking for a mount to hang an engine off of the exhaust ports on a regular engine stand they are real easy to make. I made this one using a piece of 4 inch flat strap 1/4 thick and a piece of pipe. Works real good. This engine has been hanging off of it for over two years. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430272323.434896.jpg

Hnstray likes this.

5. Slopok

Slopok

I have used an old Lakewood engine stand for many years which will allow you to rotate your motor 360 degrees. Bought long before the Chinese invasion, don't know where the new ones are made though.

6. John M. Hulley

John M. Hulley

I checked out Stumpy's and will be ordering a cradle from him.

Still looking for a stand, although I most likely will wait until the cradle is in hand, as I can probably work from the cradle (I'm short).

John

7. with an 8BA use any stand even the cheap HF ones............. no problem
    really don't need the side mount

8. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

just bought one from stumpy. great quality and quick delivery.

9. Some 3" square tubing, 2 1/2" and 3" pipe (I think) and some decent casters will get you a pretty nice stand - get somebody with a plasma cutter to burn the slots in a piece of 1/2" material and use 1" square solid stock drilled and tapped to attach to the plate and some short pieces of 3/4 heavy wall round tubing for the block end of the arms. Surplus Center has lots of suitable casters. If you use a shorter piece of the 3" square (like a T) on the front end and two casters up there it'll be more stable when you're pulling on the torque wrench.

10. PackardV8

PackardV8

I've got a flathead stand used by rebuilders in the '40s-'50s. It has brackets for front and rear and rotates a flathead easily.
    If it weren't such a PITA to ship, I'd make you a deal on it.

jack vines

11. John M. Hulley

John M. Hulley

How long did it take him to get back to you? I entered the info via his web site this morning, and I haven't heard back yet. Should I use the Contact Me toggle he has, or will the regular request go through?

Yep. Too bad you are on the other side of the continent from me. However........if you seriously want to consider it, I would be interested. I guess it depends upon the size and weight; although it could go in multiple boxes to meet UPS weight limits? Just thinkin.....

John

orangeamcs likes this.
  12. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

bought it via ebay. got it in about a week. he's located in waterloo, ill., which is in my area (20-minute drive), so i don't know if that figured in.

13. John M. Hulley

John M. Hulley

I can't find his listing on ebay. Do you remember what it was?

John

14. John M. Hulley

John M. Hulley

Kurt replied to my emails and my order has been placed.

John

15. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. I was new to flathead engines and needed a stand for one I bought. I ordered one of the mount's from Stumpy for one of the engine stands I already own. It worked great.