Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods what color is your radiator ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by V4F, Apr 28, 2015.

1. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

no topic here .

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  2. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Why wouldn't you want it black???

3. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Dull black dissipates heat better than any other color. Its in the book

Weezy1930 likes this.
  4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Inside or outside?

Model T1 likes this.

5. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

rust, and kinda minty green??? I don't understand????

wojojo likes this.
  6. I used to have a T with a brass radiator, polished of course. I did leave the core black though so even if I did have a pic it would not count.

7. The more paint on a radiator, the more heat can't be dissipated. And, yes, a thin coat of flat black transfers the most heat out of the brass.

8. ^^^correct and they actually make a paint specifically for radiators although I was told my a radiator guy once that stove paint was cheaper and a thin coat worked just as well as radiator paint.

The rad I was talking about would have been from this era and I didn't own the car very long at all.

[​IMG]

9. Learning from prior experience when painting my old '65 F-100 and not taping up the grill a nice coat of red paint made it run hotter than a 4 balled tom cat! :D

Took it to the radiator shop a a quick dip in the hot vat and a fresh coat of radiator black and I never had another problem. HRP

Beau, clem, 1927graham and 1 other person like this.
  10. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Ha Ha 4 balled tom cat!!!! Ive never heard that one. That would be one hot to trot cat.

Beau likes this.
  11. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

gezzzzzzzzzz , just looking for comments not BS.......................... sorry I posted this ............... steve

oh yea .... this is the hamb main board . my mistake

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  12. Hey I was just posting stuff to keep you on top. But you should sure post about colored radiators in traditional hot rods or customs. Color coded radiators were all the rage at some point I am sure.

13. stimpy

stimpy

most of my older ones are black , but not paint its a chemical dip they oxides the copper for better heat transfer , the radiator shop I used to use ( closed several years ago ) did the process . and only on the fins and tubes

14. 69fury

69fury

i can understand some type of radiator/stove paint that has excellent heat transfer properties being beneficial, but i always found it hard to believe that some type of generic flat black Krylon/Rustoleum/WalmartSpray would be anything more than another barrier-and how does color affect heat transfer in a no-light situation... -rick

15. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

thank you for your post .(pork beaner) ............ steve
    I had no intention to paint it 30 coats , just a hint . my car my ideas

16. Hell I find this interesting as I was thinking about painting a new alum one and was wondering what to use for paint as I know that the shops use is not your off the shelf black spray bomb.
    So let's hear some more on what a guy can use that will not make it run hotter.

17. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

383 deuce ................. good call !

18. Tank and sides painted body color - core is 'Walker' black

19. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

My dad would talk about carbon black on the radiator and not paint. it would allow heat transfer very easily in comparison to paint.

20. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Now that's funny right there.
    I took the paint off of mine.

coupe repaint engine 2.JPG

'52 F-3 likes this.
  21. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

here's a pic of radiator in my F-3, I semi-polished brass and clear coated the hole thing. then painted the steel sides gloss black. been like this about 3 years, no cooling issues

[​IMG]

22. Now thats Funny shit there

23. What did you really expect from a post asking a question such as this? I didn't see any BS, just straightforward answers to your question.

24. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

sky blue pink...hard to find but it looks great....lol.........wood stove high heat,a light coat

25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

It's like wearing a black T-shirt on a hot day. No wait...

Eastwood sells special radiator rattle can paint at $20 a pop, and recommends two cans. I usually just use whatever I have on the shelf that is about to run out and start sputtering.

26. Slopok

Slopok

Barbeque paint and comes in colors other than black.

Model T1 likes this.
  27. Model T1

Model T1

I realize two thick of coat of any color of any paint is not going to disipate heat as well. But I've always just used whatever flat black I have laying around and just hit it with a light coat. Have painted the top tank gloss black on some.
    Tittie pink might look nice on certain cars. Probably make it run like a four balled cat!

Asphalt Angel likes this.
  28. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I used copper color Krylon on both the radiator core and the AC condenser....No problems..Bugs still stick....

Attached Files:

29. On my custom made rads I have them anodized black - looks great and easily dissipates heat, durable too

30. patterg2003

patterg2003

I personally like Prestone fluorescent lime green.

The black on radiators may have something to do with the black-body radiation theory. An education moment that is a ancient memory. Black objects radiate heat. Copper & aluminum radiate heat efficiently but a heavy paint coat would insulate slightly to reduce the transfer rate. A gloss coat would interfere with the transfer rate & will reflect heat back into the radiator. The air may attach to the smooth surface similar to an airplane wing which would stop the air exchange rate as it would flow over the surface in a thin film and only the attached air would absorb heat. Flat black would break up heat reflection stopping heat from returning into the rad and provide more surface with turbulence to increase the air change over the surface for improved cooling. The thinner the coating the better. The best heat transfer is 2 turbulent fluids passing quickly in opposite directions with a minimum of film separation.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015