Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects **New Driver! - '57 Ford Wagon**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malcolm, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I've been looking around a while for an old car or pickup to drive daily... well, about nine months out of the year here in the Midwest. I wanted something that was mechanically sound and very useable - a vehicle I could throw a bicycle in, haul parts in, groceries, etc., something rather utilitarian. A big plus for this one is that I can also bring a few friends along and take a road trip. My roadster is a very limited use car and it has really been bugging me that I can't drive it as much as I'd like!

A few weeks ago I was browsing through the classifieds here on the HAMB and @Lancer had just listed his '57 Ford Country Sedan wagon for sale. It was a higher price range than I'd been looking in, but I just had to have it. Good old solid car, rebuilt engine, well cared for, really just a great running/driving car! We spoke a couple times, he sent more photos and info and we struck a deal. The car was in California and I'm in Nebraska, so I made plans to fly out and drive it back.

I flew out Thursday of last week, Lance picked me up at the Sacramento airport and we picked the car up at his house. We both agreed that the car should probably get new tires before making the 1650 mile road trip home. Lance had a set of '56 Ford 15x5 wheels that he had powder coated silver and traded those for the stock 14s and wheel covers. He recommended a local tire shop and I arranged to have them install new tires on the 15s. It all worked out perfectly, as I prefer the 15s over the stock 14s, anyways. I brought a set of '57 dog dish caps with me and snapped them on before hitting the road.

The trip home was mostly trouble-free, I just had to tend to a leaky pinion seal and minor driveline vibration --- both of which seem to be caused by a loose/worn pinion support bearing. Had the rear axle topped off with 80/90 a few times during the trip and it made it home just fine!

@Lancer, I can't thank you enough for getting the car ready for the long road trip and working with me on the whole deal. I appreciate it!

I also want to add a couple HAMB connections to the story:
    @Roothawg was the previous owner of this car and sold it to Lance.
    @mctim64 rebuilt the Yblock that is in the car. It's now a 301 with a mild cam, 4-barrel B intake, Edelbrock 600 carb, and Pertronix electronic ignition. Runs great!

A few photos from the trip home---

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm looking forward to just driving it as a daily!
    As far as any changes, I'd like to add disc brakes up front, sway bars front and rear, and possibly a more modern automatic overdrive trans. It currently has the factory Fordomatic. I'll also be adding a trailer hitch to pull a smaller trailer. Friends and I already have plans to haul motorcycles behind the wagon up to Sturgis in August.

That's all for now - thanks for checking in!
    Malcolm

2. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Cool wagon, happy trails to you!!

Malcolm and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Good for you Malcolm. Hope to see you and your wagon at the HAMB Drags. Thanks for the road trip photos. Sam

Malcolm likes this.
  4. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Great to see you got a good car and had a fantastic road trip.

Malcolm likes this.

5. Roger53

Roger53

Hi Nice looking old ford. Roger

Malcolm likes this.
  6. I have to admit I have a thing for old Ford wagons,,looks like you got a nice one. HRP

7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I followed along on IG. Congrats on a great car and a fun road trip!

Malcolm likes this.
  8. Congrats Nick! I remember when Chris got it and also when he sold it to Lance. Glad to see it is staying in the HAMB family. And, it should be good to go on engine for a while with one built by Tim! I know you will be a good caretaker making sure it is used as intended...driving and hauling stuff.

Malcolm likes this.
  9. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Awesome wagon. Welcome to the 57 Ford club!

Malcolm likes this.
  10. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Looks like a damn nice ride. I'd rock that sucker too ! Nice road trip right away too. Good luck with it.

Malcolm likes this.
  11. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Congratulations! Some of my fondest memories growing up are of family vacations with my parents and 5 siblings in our '58 Country Sedan. Nothing like a 50s Ford wagon!

Malcolm likes this.
  12. Lancer

Lancer

Nothing like making a new friend through the sale of a car.

mctim64 and Malcolm like this.
  13. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'm glad it stayed in the family.

mctim64, Malcolm and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. Sweet Wagon! Enjoy.

Malcolm and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  15. wedgehead63

wedgehead63
    from Auburn KY

Long live the longroofs!!!!!!!!

16. I'm a sucker for 'ol Ford wagons. Nice move, enjoy.

Malcolm likes this.
  17. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Awesome long roof.

Malcolm likes this.
  18. alchemy

alchemy

My little brother Corn Fed has a very similar wagon. Baby blue even. Talk with him before you commit to any transmission changes.

Malcolm likes this.
  19. Fucker's tits....................I mean nice wagon!!-MIKE:D:cool:

Malcolm likes this.
  20. belair

belair

21. Brandi

Brandi

This is gonna be REAL fun.

Malcolm likes this.
  22. 54vicky

54vicky

all the above then some

23. Nice 'un Nick! Man, you're gonna be toolin' in style, rain or shine. Don't let the ol' roadster get jealous!:D

Malcolm likes this.
  24. Nick,

Nice looking wagon, I have a soft sport for '57 Ford's. I still have a '57 Ranchero in the driveway and did the same thing years a go and upgraded to 15's.

Malcolm likes this.
  25. Nice purchase Nick, way to test drive it!
    Scarebird has the bracket and plans for the disc brakes. Might as well add a dual MC too.

Malcolm likes this.
  26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You've always had great taste in cars man...

Lancer and Malcolm like this.
  27. Congrats Nick! Wagons are the best! I was just checking it out on your Instagram and wondered when you got it. Did you get to take Hwy 50 on the way back?

Malcolm likes this.
  28. I always loved those wagons. Have fun with it! They're hard to come by in such good shape.

Malcolm likes this.
  29. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Thanks everyone! I never thought I'd have a car like this one - I've had a blast driving it!

I've driven it to work each day this week and there's usually a group of us that goes to lunch. I love seeing people's reactions when they hop in the car and ride in it, especially those that have never been in or around old cars.

30. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

@vintagehotrods Jerry - Good to hear from you! I drove a little ways on Highway 50 out of Carson City, Nevada, and cut north on Highway 95 to hit I-80. I really wanted to take 50 all the way across Nevada, but thought it may not be a good idea in a somewhat untested car.