Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Customs by the Sea #2

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by SuperFleye, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

I don't see anything wrong with having a cut off year for the beach. The Oilers want a certain feel to their show and I think that's cool. You can still have a regular parking lot gathering/show for "everyone" like last year. I would just hand pick the cars you want on the beach.

lothiandon1940, fryguy and Winzy like this.
  2. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

The dates are now official, and the Race of Gentlemen will be held October 2-4, 2015. The Customs by the Sea show will be October 3-4 on the beach! More info here: www.customsbythesea.com

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think its a great idea regardless of my car not meeting the criteria. A few pre-war customs, a few early style post war customs, all period correct enough to fit the bill would be awesome. I say go for it! I'm looking forward to the pictures. :)

4. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I've kept my opinion to myself on the board here, but I'll deposit my $.02 now. I think the new format sucks and isn't going to work on the grand scale. As killer as the Customs by the Sea show was last year, there probably would have been 3 cars that would fit this new criteria. If the goal is to include only pre-'52 customs on the beach, then that's fine, I can get behind that. There is a certain aesthetic that TROG aims to achieve and that needs to be adhered to. Fine. But I see no reason why traditional customs, the very cars built in the style this board (The HAMB) promotes, should be excluded from a show not directly connected to TROG. I personally find it a bit hypocritical, especially since the Dice Magazine kick-off party the night before is as much about chopped Triumphs, wild candy painted bobbers, and Shovelheads as it is about the pre-war stuff that races that weekend.

TROG and Customs by the Sea has a unique opportunity here. There has been a significant void in a truly excellent, traditionally-styled car show weekend in the Northeast since the Road Agent's Rumble in Hartford, CT. I know Sondre has been to that one, and what an excellent show it used to be, not to mention a ridiculous party that lasted through the show and into the night at the hotel parking lot. Part of what made the Rumble such a success was the pickiness in what was allowed in and what was not. I distinctly remember a club member who would stand at the gate and give your car either a "thumbs up" to enter, or a "thumbs down" to deny your entry and make you park in the lot outside the show. As a result, every car in the show was worth looking at. As time went on, the show was so great that it grew and eventually, outgrew its venue, to the point that the overflow lot had loads of worthy vehicles that just didn't get there early enough (there were other reasons as to why the show is no longer but that's a discussion for another day). Customs by the Sea and TROG is not going to outgrow this venue. Wildwood, especially during the off-season, has ample lodging, huge vacant parking lots, a convention center, and one of the largest beaches in NJ. Not to mention restaurants and amusements for the whole family. The sky is the limit for this show in this venue, unless of course you alienate a significant percentage of the people who are actually going to come to it. There's no reason the TROG can't be accompanied by one of the best traditional hot rod and custom car shows on the East Coast. Don't forget, with participation ultimately limited in TROG, even traditional hot rods that don't make the cut for TROG can show in Customs by the Sea. Again, if TROG wants only period perfect cars on the beach, I can certainly get behind that. But a custom and hot rod show in an adjacent lot or down the boardwalk a ways wouldn't detract from the objectives of TROG, in fact, it would only enhance it. Not everybody is into pre-52 rods. I'm not. I like them, but I'll never build one for myself. I'm sure other folks feel the same way about mid-late 1950s customs like mine. And that's cool. But this show could cross-polinate. People who come for TROG can take a break from the racing (it's a long day) and walk around the custom show. Similarly, people there for the Custom show would certainly pay to enjoy TROG. Everybody cruises and parties at night.

Look, the organizers can do whatever they want with this show, it's their sandbox and they can allow whoever they like. But I have a vested interest in the show since I enjoyed it last year and want a successful traditionally styled show in the Northeast. But I also know my region, and who comes out for what, and in my opinion, this will greatly reduce the number of people partaking in the custom show and stunt this show's growth. That's a shame. I don't think I'm alone in saying I may not want to take a 350 mile drive, and lodging for 3 nights, plus show admission, to come to an event I'm not even welcome at.

CHOPMERC, 62hotcat and GreenMonster48 like this.
  5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I love the idea of you guys having a vision and sticking to it. Don't ever forget that it's your vision and nobody else's... Ignore the naysayers and build your show man. Stick to your guns... and know that if you pull it off, it will be absolutely gorgeous.

6. Race City Rodz

Race City Rodz

AGREED! STICK TO YOUR GUNS!

7. 'Mo

'Mo

TROG could easily outgrow the venue. In fact, it may already have.
    Having developed in a couple of years from sponsorship of a few pizzas for the organizers, to involvement by Hemmings Motor News AND AMF Manufacturing, must certainly bring complications that don't meet the eye.
    I am 100% sure that the decisions made reflect more than personal vision alone, for, in actuality, it most certainly is NOT their sandbox!
    Rock on, Sondre (AND Mei)!!!

8. Kaptain Kustom

Kaptain Kustom
    from Finland

Just wanted to say that this sounds like a great idea! Visiting US is out of reach for me right now, but if the show carries on to be annual, I try to get there in five years.. :D
    Stick to your vision, I wish you good luck!!

9. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

10. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Guys, I gotta agree with 57Joe. The amount of cars they will allow in, will be a small fraction of who showed up last year. In fact, I have a car in the works that will fit the requirements perfectly, a radical 47 Chevy, built in late 40's early- 50's style. But even I am considering not going., sad to say. With all the shows available, and the costs of attending them, I have to choose carefully. While I love the venue, the atmosphere, the great idea of a truly traditional show, if there is only going to be a handful of cars I want to look at, it is not so inviting. I'm not so much into the banger racing scene, or the early bikes.
    Hopefully something can be worked out, such as still having the custom show in the parking area, if the beach will be off limits to post 52 styled cars.

11. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

Here is my 2 cents. I attended last year for the first time, loved the beach racing and the Kustoms by the Sea, had my car there on Friday. What I REALLY loved about the weekend was just the whole atmosphere, wandering/cruising around Wildwood and all the cars and bikes around. They were parked all over the place, the whole town was one big show. Don't get hung up on what will/will not be on the beach, the whole town rocks that weekend. Looking forward to it again this year.

ELD, lothiandon1940 and 1952B3b23 like this.
  12. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

That's more to the point I was making in the post above. Wildwood hosts a car show weekend during the course of the calendar year. It's open to vehicles of all years, and while it is overtaken largely by muscle cars, classics and late models are welcome. It is a HUGE show, with virtually all lots, the boardwalk, the hotels, etc. packed with cars. All night long you hear cars ripping up and down the street. It is a wild (pardon the pun) weekend show that pulls thousands of cars and spectators. Which is why I say that the idea that TROG will somehow outgrow this town is without merit, Wildwood already puts on a show that is 15x the size of TROG. To match the size of the regular car show weekend but solely out of traditional cars, would likely be the largest single gathering of traditional rods and customs in the world, maybe aside from the Lone Star Roundup. Seriously. Last year's atmosphere was excellent, but there was also a single spot for customs and rods to congregate. With CBTS2 on the beach and limited only to approved vehicles and no other customs or rods allowed, now anybody that brings some other traditional car has to park in the municipal lot or on the street among the general public. Like CHOPMERC said, New Jersey is a treasure trove of customs and traditional rods, the vast majority of which are no longer welcome at this show.

13. Maybe then somebody else completely independant of TROG or CBTS can get a show going on that weekend at last years customs by the sea spot.

Kiwi 4d and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

Itd be cool if the custom how took off. There really isn't much around. I get the pre 52 thing but i think it'd be awesome to have everything. Honestly I wouldn't go back after last year. Maybe I just thought it would've been better. Thing I read into the hype. Again just my opinion but between tolls food lodging beer and what not I didn't think it was worth the few hours of the same few cars running the beach. It was a blast don't get me wrong. If there was a huge custom show as well that would kick ass.

15. ELD

ELD

I'm looking forward to all the folks that will be there for all the right reasons and could care less about all the folks who won't be there for all the wrong reasons

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. .....................Exactly.

17. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

Not sure if running 3 shows in 1 weekend would work...but I would seriously love to do a kustom show in jersey, nothing 2 crazy prolly similar to the revival in indy, good cars,people,and music... i know im the not the only 1 it just come down to the right spot which is the tought part, but if someone has any suggestions I would love to hear em n look into them....

18. thesupersized

thesupersized

i get what's trying to be accomplished. And im sure the photos from the event will warrant lots of instagram likes,however, i'm not sure I'll make it down again to look at 40 model a's with different numbers painted on the side. I went down last year for the custom aspect and there just won't be enough I'll be interested in.

I think a good idea for a car show would be to organize the hot rods and custom cars mixed together but seperated by the era they were built in or styled after, therefore as you walk through, it would be like a timeline for customs and hotrods mixed together. And because the cars will be separated by era the vibe of each section could be appropriate for its time.

19. Strittan

Strittan
    from Sweden

If something like the Old Style Weekend is possible in Sweden I don't see why something like this wouldn't be possible in the U.S. I really hope I'll be able to make it this year!

20. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks for all the constructive feedback folks! We want to hear it all, as it will eventually help us form the show as we go along!

We had a blast throwing last years show, working with that concept and the restrictions it came with. In fact, we had many of the same discussions back then as well, and you wouldn't believe what cars that tried to register!
    I'm sure gonna miss some of the great cars and people that attended last year, but hopefully many of them will be seen around town, as Wildwood will be filled with enthusiast vehicles the entire weekend...starting on Thursday!

We're sticking to our guns and vision for sure Ryan! ;)
    The hunt is on, and we're now looking high and low for early styled custom cars in the area! Most people think that East Coast guys only built finned freak customs, with 6 headlight and plenty of scoops and accessories back in the days. Heck, many people think they still do! That ain't right, and we're giving the East Coast crowd an honest chance to prove em wrong, so roll out the red carpet and say hello to our first featured registrations...the Fred Cain Coupe:

[​IMG]
    Built in Wilmington, Massachusetts in 1948, Fred Cain's chopped and channeled 1940 Ford is one of my all time favorite early custom cars. I saw it outside Austin Speed Shop 5 years ago, and I instantly fell in love with it's appearance! Owned by a fellow HAMB'er, the Fred Cain Coupe shows that many East Coast guys also knew how to build classy customs! I can't wait to be reunited with this one! More info and photos can be found here: http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Fred_Cain's_1940_Ford

Eric H, Thulsa Doom, Strittan and 3 others like this.
  21. JeremyJames

JeremyJames
    from concord NC
    1. HAMB Merc Club

I agree that there are aren't enough pre 52 early customs floating around.

When I heard what Mel and the oilers were trying to do with TROG I had my doubts. Their cut off years and motor restrictions were extreme. I didn't think it would last.... Now look at the race!! They created something that people want to be a part of.
    Guys are going crazy trying to build cars and bikes for the race.

Back to my original statement. There aren't enough early customs....

SO BUILD SOME!
    I'm in the process or building an early style 41 ford business coupe for a good friend(Dustin Corl or sinticket on here). With the goal of it being ready for him to drive to the customs by the sea show. As soon as that car is done I'm cutting a 48 ford coupe with the same goal.
    the race of gentlemen has inspired the building of so many neat race cars in the last few years.
    I don't see why the Customs by the Sea show can't do the same.

Go build something

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430054776.863609.jpg

Also our club (the Iron Lords) are bringing a bunch of cars that don't conform to either show. They will be parked all over town. For us it's about the journey.

Thanks for everything you do Sondre..
    I know this is no easy task!

22. ELD

ELD

Jeremy nailed it to the shop door!

23. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

PRE 52?C'MON GUYS How about Pre 62????

GreenMonster48 likes this.
  24. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I support this cut off completely.... I love early style customs and to gather them like this will be a sight to be seen. Even if it ends up only being 6, 8 or 10 cars... that core group of dead on period accurate cars all in one place will be talked about for some time. Hopefully it will inspire people to consider doing their homework to build earlier era cars, just as the racing on the beach has done for hot rods. This is not meant as anything against a slightly newer style of car... but this is the era I like most and I am excited to be able to attend and see what turns up....

25. ELD

ELD

The Race of Gentlemen beach racing is pre-53 parts hence the Customs by the Sea cut off is in keeping with the vibe of the event. If you haven't been to previous ones you should know Wildwood is the perfect town to bring your hot rods and customs of any year to cruise, park and enjoy the retro atmosphere and bask in the spotlight of these two unique events. There are oodles of car shows every year catering to the masses. What the Oilers car club and Kustomrama are doing is filling a void and creating something for the ages. Your kids kids will be looking back on it just as we look back to the heyday of hot rodding.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    OL 55, SuperFleye, 1952B3b23 and 2 others like this.
  26. I feel like there can be a big turn out even with the pre-52 cut off. There are many on the hamb. I'd love to see the Jesse Lopez recreation there,,,

SuperFleye and JeremyJames like this.
  27. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks guys. You are absolutely correct ELD, we're trying to fill a void for the early styled customs. There are plenty of shows for pre 1965 customs around already so do we really need another one? SUHRsc you are also spot on, when we decided on the new concept, I told myself that I would be satisfied if we were able to gather 10-20 cars for our debut. That goal is soon reached, so we're aiming for 50 now :)

In addition to a couple of nice survivor customs, there are some really nice custom projects in the works for the show. One of the cars is Dustin Corl's 1941 Ford business coupe that HAMB'er JeremyJames is helping Dustin build. Inspired by George Janich's 1941 Ford business coupe, that Sam Barris restyled between 1946 and 1948, Dustin's project is the reason why we host this show; to showcase the art of early style customs, and hopefully inspire future generations to take on the tradition!

[​IMG]
    The beginning of the Corl Coupe next to Jeremy Minamyer's (JeremyJames) sharp looking 1949 Mercury. Jeremy's Mercury is truly a study in design, lines and flow, and I was thrilled to see the car cruise into Wildwood Thursday night last year, with the rest of the Iron Lords cars.

[​IMG]
    George Janich's 1941 Ford serves as inspiration for Dustin's build. You can read our story on this old Long Beach custom here: http://kustomrama.com/index.php?title=George_Janich's_1941_Ford

[​IMG]
    Dustin and Jeremy started with a rust-free solid car. Less time needed for repair, more time dedicated to custom fabrication, a smart move with less risks of loosing motivation!

[​IMG]
    After lowering the car, Jeremey attacked the roof about a month ago.

[​IMG]
    Jeremy took 4 1/2" out of the A-pillars, and 6 1/2" out of the back of the roof during the chop. The A-pillars were laid back pretty hard during the chop, just as Sam Barris did on George Janich's 1941 Ford business coupe.

We'll follow this build as it progresses on Kustomrama: http://kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Dustin_Corl's_1941_Ford

Keep up the good work guys!

Eric H, 1952B3b23, ELD and 3 others like this.
  28. xpittsx

xpittsx
    from Jersey

I'm gonna be like everyone else and build a car to fit someone else's rules and make someone else happy. That way I can get validation and fit in with the cool guys! Pre 52 here I come!!! Watch out TROG backdrop!!!

29. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

getter her all polished up for the beach! brand new sept 52 10003330_921706304541420_7814556959342368104_n.jpg

30. JeremyJames

JeremyJames
    from concord NC
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Cool man I look forward to seeing a build come together.