Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My first project taking up the garage 52 ford mainline

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by cdoh, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Mike Moreau

Mike Moreau

Cdoh, congrats on the purchase and what you have accomplished so far. You asked for opinions on the slave cylinder bracket: No comment from me on the aesthetics of it, however, I am concerned the firewall may flex without some form of bracing in the area. That area of the firewall was not designed to resist the force from a clutch actuating mechanism. You are doing a great job.

2. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

I know what "no comment on the aesthetics" means. damn it. haha. its the only idea i could come up with. maybe if i trim the unused corners off it.

About the firewall. That is in the back of my head. My theory is that if it can take the brake master it can take the clutch master. haha. ill have to wait and see.

but please if anyone has some ideas for that ugly bracket, LET. ME. KNOW

3. Slopok

Slopok

Don't know if it would be any stronger but would it be possible to mount the bracket from the inside of the firewall? Certainly would look better I think.

green50 and Model T1 like this.
  4. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

that might actually work. ill try it today after work. then i can use those plates from that cover the hole where the steering column goes thought to cover the bracket. thanks roseville carl

5. 1959apache

1959apache

You will have the same issue with any car that age that doesn't have a master cylinder for clutch or brake on the firewall. You can either brace it with a huge plate and weld to the firewall or you can make some bracketed that will bolt to the dash and use the strength of that as well, your choice.

6. Mike Moreau

Mike Moreau

Cdoh, my comment was not meant to address the aesthetics of your bracket. It was meant as a reflection of my complete lack of ability to make a pleasing-to-the-eye anything, let alone give advice on how someone else could make an improvement. 1959apache made a great suggestion. It doesn't take much. A brace from the underside of the dash to one of the bolts holding your bracket in place would add a surprising amount of rigidity. Best to address it before the car is all buttoned up and back on the road. I had a 55 F100 with Volare MC on the firewall and my current Model A with an Ansen pedal bracket. Both required bracing.

Model T1 likes this.
  7. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

I might be able to tie into the pedal assembly for strength

8. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

haha ok. I know the bracket looks rough and i thought you made a joke. no offense was taken. but anyway. its seems like everyone here says ill need bracing so thats what ill do. i dont want to get stranded out in the middle of nowhere because my clutch master is laying on the ground.

Model T1 likes this.
  9. Yo! Love '52-4 Fords. I like how your build is taking shape, and I hope to see you around this summer!

cdoh likes this.
  10. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

The por 15 really only likes to stick to rust. Just keep thy in mind.

11. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

So I realized that I don't have any sort of correct braking system. Proportioning valves, residual pressure valves, and all the brakes lines a just free hanging. They are all rubbing of the frame.

So while the motor and trans are out it looks like I'll be redoing all that too.

12. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

I routed all the new brake line with a proportioning valve. I know drum/drum don't really need it. But I figured that it couldn't hurt to send less pressure to the rear incase of hard braking. And I have the 10lbs residual valves in line. You just can't see them. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430623191.273396.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430623205.857337.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430623219.806126.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2015
    Model T1 likes this.
  13. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

hey. i wanted to know if someone can give me a hand here. the lower control arm to spindle bolt is 3/4" -11 and i need a new castle nut. its a really odd size and mcmaster carr doesnt have it.

14. Timbofor

Timbofor

I think you are looking for a 3/4-10 castle nut. Try napa, they shouldn't have any troubles getting you one.

15. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Cdoh just saw your thread - great car you got there - always like seeing young guys like you getting into this scene we're in - crazy huh? You're on the right track and looking good, but the main thing is do it the way you want it and have fun!! Good luck.

Model T1 and cdoh like this.
  16. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

Hey thanks. This car is really fun to build. I enjoy all the fabricating. It takes the teen "built not bought" to a whole new level for me. Coming from the bolt on Subaru world.

17. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

No. It's actually is -11 haha. I know. It's crazy. I measured 3 times with a thread gauge today. I posted this question in the "custom" forum and was told to try napa. So I'll do that in the morning. I don't have my hopes up though.

18. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

Up ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433278486.713199.jpg t the eyelids on and look a petty cool picture. Though I would show you guys

Model T1 likes this.
  19. Timbofor

Timbofor

Cdoh, any progress on the 52?

20. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

Yea. Sorry. I've been battling brake leaks. It's my first time flaring so I have to keep redoing them until they are right. Just boring stuff. BUT!!!! THEY ARE DONE!!!!!! I'm sending out the drive shaft to be lengthened about 3 inches then.... Maybe if I caLl all my favors into the car gods. She will roll out of the garage for the first time this week!!!!

Model T1 likes this.
  21. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

I love where you're going with this. Very cool car

cdoh likes this.
  22. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

Thanks. It should be a cool cruiser when I'm done. At least that's the plan. Haha

Model T1 likes this.
  23. Model T1

Model T1

cdoh good luck with the old Ford. Looks like it was already a good start and a straight car. I love the idea you are keeping the flathead yet upgrading the tranny to make it a nice cruiser. Try to preserve most of the striping and paint detail work. Might want to swap to a dual master eventually.
    About 100 years ago when I was your age my second car was a 1954 Customline. I'd liked to had a 53 with flathead but that was our DD and I just played around customizing it a bit. Those are great body styles and you will have a fun car when finished. It'll make all those Illinoizianz jealous.
    Car shows and cruisin used to be big up that way, especially around Waukegan and Rockford. We're from the Peoria area and regretably heading back. Keep at it.

24. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

Cool thanks a lot. It actually just got a new master with the brake lines I did. Everything. Is brand new on the brake system. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434376750.141340.jpg

voodookustoms and Model T1 like this.
  25. Model T1

Model T1

cdoh thanks for the close up of the master cylinder. I looked at the other photos but didn't realize there were more lines coming out. DOU!
    I nearly burned my 54 with stock master up. Replaced it back when a single was normal. Replaced the plugs and wires, filled the master too full. We went camping and ten miles out of Pekin the car stopped running. Brake fluid on a hot exhaust and plug wires is not a good thing! Oh the memories!

26. Slopok

Slopok

In about 42 years you'll be takin those eyelids off so you can see at night.;) Ask me how I know.
    074.JPG

27. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

I'm sure you just look back and laugh at that today.

Model T1 likes this.
  28. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

I've never have eyelids before and I haven't even turned these on yet. So I'm still in the dark about how will effect my lights and according to you. I'll stay in the dark haha

29. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

I can't believe I forgot to post a milestone in my build. 2 weeks ago I cut the hole for the shifter and mocked in a shifter rod to check my dash clearance. IT. CAME. OUT. PEEEEEERFECT . great location!!! It is officially a 5 speed I can shift into 1st 3rd and the almighty 5th with no issues. And don't freak. I'm not keeping the 1/4 inch flat stock as a shifter. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434384883.733457.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434384898.674091.jpg

Model T1 likes this.
  30. Model T1

Model T1

Awww come on. That's a kool shifter!

cdoh likes this.