Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hubcap question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Francisco., Apr 26, 2015.

1. Francisco.

Francisco.

I've got some 63 impala hubcaps I'm trying to shine up as best as possible but I've got a question. Dumb one I know, but what are these, stainless? I'm trying to figure out what type of polish I need.

Thanks

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yes, stainless......I could identify a '63 cap if I saw one, but I can't remember if they had a 'brushed' finish or were 'shiny'. If the former, polishing will not be the best method of restoration.

Ray

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That might be worth sneaking over to one of the early 60's Impala boards to find out the answer. I thought they were stainless with the center piece being chrome but I haven't worked on one of those for 20+ years.

Now comes the question of which Impala hubcap do you have because there are about a half dozen different ones for 63.

4. Francisco.

Francisco.

It looks shiny to me not brushed. I've got the plain jane 63 non ss cap. I'll post a pic

5. Francisco.

Francisco.

The middle has this "frosted" paint crap I thought about removing

[​IMG]

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Generally, it is difficult to 'improve' something like this. If you really don't like it, why not look for something you like 'as is' ?

Ray

7. One way to determin S.S. or not is use a magnet. S.S. is not magnetic.
    The Wizzard

8. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Some grades of stainless steel are magnetic.

chopper99 likes this.
  9. Francisco.

Francisco.

I would replace them with some nos ones if I had the $ & could find them. I tried the magnet test & it wanted to stick to the caps but couldn't quite do it. Which metal trim is it that needs to be stripped of a clear coat? I remember someone mentioning it before but don't recall what metal.

10. brad2v

brad2v

Clear anodized aluminum has to be stripped, so you don't have to worry about that.

11. Francisco.

Francisco.

:)Thanks, anyone know how to remove the frosted paint crap that these 63 caps have on them?

12. Paint stripper and a tooth brush or bead blast.

When I was a kid the low rider crowd used to paint over the painted area some with body color and others with black to accent the polished part or to make it their own.

13. Francisco.

Francisco.

I was thinking it might look better all shined up one "color" instead of the "frostedness":D

14. Paint stripper and a tooth brush is you best bet.

You got to remember that I learned about low ride uhs and bombitas in the Mission District or that was where I started learning and if I was building a custom chebby it would be greatly influenced by my early childhood education. ;) Hydaulics, little dog in the back window his head going up and down, volks wagon tires, I may even go as far as dingle berries around the glass. :D :D yea I know I am fuckin sick, well what can I say at least I am honest. ;)

15. Francisco.

Francisco.

:cool:I love lowriders, especially early style ones. I have some cragar ss 14x7s that I usually have on it but every now & again I feel like seeing it on stocks so I switch back & forth. Been wanting to drive my impala out to frisco for a while, one of these days.