Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Lakes pictures. P.R.C.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by woodiemike, Sep 19, 2014.

1. KKrod

KKrod

Thanks for sharing the history of the Fair Oaks speed shop and to see the work in action. It looked like a great time for being a racer. Really like the Cord too.

Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  2. oj

oj

There is a picture of a modified, #57, on page 16 of this thread. It has a notation, Don Blair 140ish mph. Can you tell us about the car, did it go 140mph? and what was that like?

Stogy likes this.
  3. Rockerhead

Rockerhead
    Member Emeritus

In 1946 Don and Bruce Blair (Gophers club) ran this Modified with a prewar Mercedes supercharger on their Ford flathead V-8 engine. The recorded 141.06 mph was the second fastest time at the SCTA meets that year. In the 1950s that blower sat on Don's used hot rod parts shelf waiting for the next buyer. Then it disappeared and do not know where it went. Note that Don was not wearing a helmet when he started his run. The car was nicknamed "The Goat". Later the Modified would be cleaned up and painted to be a good display for the Blair Bros. Speed Shop.
    Don was a good friend to all of us Pasadena area racers.
    Don img131.jpg

4. oj

oj

Thank you, I can only imagine the courage and determination it took to drive that thing over 140mph. The only thing I can imagine scarrier was to be a bellygunner in an early WWII bomber, all those guys are an inspriation to us mere mortals.

Stogy, hendelec and volvobrynk like this.
  5. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As always...fantastic picture, and history lesson form Don Montgomery! Thank you Don!

Stogy likes this.
  6. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well kids; I think I have solved our "LITTLE COGS" mystery! I visited my Aunt Dorothy [my Uncle Don's wife] over the weekend and I'm pretty sure she answered the question. According to her she remembers the guys referring to the "cogs" as "those things in the back of the car" that they were always changing! So I'm thinking this has to be the rear end gears. I know my Dad said they would constantly be trying different gear combinations. As they found more horsepower, they were doing more gear changes. So this part Jimmy B hit the nail on the head with his thought. She also said that as time went on, they began to call each other "cogs". Maybe an early reference to being called a "gear head"? That would be funny!! Or maybe just a reference to being a "little cog" in the wheel of life? This part I think will have to be whatever your interpretation is will work. So on this part, Gary White hit this part with a club within a club thought. So the "winner, winner..chickin diner" goes to Jimmy B, and Gary White!! HA!

IMG_1320.JPG

7. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Couple of pictures to throw out at ya. The first is of my Uncle Don, and it is dated on the back February 1943, Alhamba California. Interesting car...looks like early T body, with a short p/u bed. And the motor with the setback, or just trying to make everything fit on the chassis?? The second is of my Dad and his Brothers roadster p/u. Not to sound like a broken record, but this picture again shows how they used any, and everything they could to make things work. Torque tube headers, and check out that tow bar! It looks to be a wishbone! How awesome is that?? As always enjoy!!

IMG_1346.JPG IMG_1345.JPG

Stogy, Pufff, kidcampbell71 and 7 others like this.
  8. Rockerhead

Rockerhead
    Member Emeritus

Mike
    Early Ford wishbones were easy to make into a towbar. They were cheap, available and easy to build rmwdltr007.jpg . Here is the tow bar on my Willys in 1959. Most everyone use them for tow bars.
    Don

9. KKrod

KKrod

I love the top picture. Only could be southern California. A rod and a custom in the same photo.

Stogy and rocknrollratfink like this.
  10. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you Don...did not realize that they were so commonly used. Also great picture.

Stogy likes this.
  11. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

Woodiemike.....Thanks for all your efforts, brings back a flood of good memories..........

Stogy likes this.
  12. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome plywude...that is what this thread is all about! Hope you are enjoying!

13. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Few more with my Uncle Don, and some miscellaneous pictures. Thank you for all the comments, and enjoy.

IMG_1347.JPG IMG_1353.JPG IMG_1361.JPG IMG_1364.JPG IMG_1348.JPG IMG_1349.JPG IMG_1356.JPG

63fdsnr, Nobey, Stogy and 8 others like this.
  14. Caption for the 1st pic; "look ma, no fan!"

Love these pics. Model A banger with an Evans (?) dual intake, home-made pressure oiling, and a filled deuce radiator shell. Pure 1940's goodness. God bless you Mike, Wilmer Jay, and Uncle Don...

I swear I was born 50 years too late!

Stogy likes this.
  15. KKrod

KKrod

Great pictures Mike! I read somewhere that many hot rodders were not convinced about using hydraulic brakes versus mechanical brakes. They trusted mechanical brakes first. They must have worked fairly well. The 35/36 cabriolet or roadster is very neat. Keep em coming.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    Stogy likes this.
  16. jw johnston

jw johnston

Man that picture of the banger is killer! He must of had my luck with fans being out of whack and said the hell with it!

Stogy likes this.
  17. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah...I knew the banger would get you goin' Gary!! Thank you so much for that statement! Totally awesome! And you are very welcome! I know you are trying to find time to do the feature on the album, but please don't sacrifice precious "family time & build time" for it. Like your build, it will come when things are ready!!;) With all that you have on your plate...I honestly don't know how you do all that you do. I thank and bless my parents and Uncle Don daily; for they have left us all with an awesome treasure to enjoy. Thank you all!!

Stogy and gwhite like this.
  18. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello Karl;
    You are right in the fact that at first people were not convince that hydraulic brakes were the way to go. As with all things new, it just took time for people to be convinced. Back then with the speeds the average person was driving, mechanical's were more then adequate. Here is a couple of more pictures the 35/36. Not sure of the year either. I'm sure someone out there can tell us. The one picture looks to be when my Uncle Don got was in the Navy. Thank's for the comment, and hope you enjoy. One thing you can not say about Uncle Don...he was not afraid to get dirty!! IMG_1372.JPG IMG_1373.JPG IMG_1361.JPG IMG_1371.JPG

63fdsnr, Stogy, Pufff and 4 others like this.
  19. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Love that shot of the Rod & Custom in Alhambra behind the gas station. Do you know what street that was taken. I'm always in Alhambra and in the past 50yrs. I don't recognize the business across the street. Just curious to know where it was.

Stogy likes this.
  20. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello Kevin;
    I can only narrow it down to somewhere on Garfield Ave. Love the old gas station on the right.

Stogy likes this.
  21. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Mystery solved ;). The gas station across the back of the Custom is now a Chevron @ the S.W. Corner of Valley Bl @ Fremont Ave. Used to go to the long ago demo'd Dairy Queen that was on that gas stations lot south/west side.
    The dead giveaway is the Valley Cleaners across the street which has now moved several doors over to the west and the Vacant lot (then) with the parking lot (presently) also the west. The large building still exists which confirmed its location. Coincidently "Wall Of Sound" music producer Phil Spector's Pyrenees Castle is just over the left shoulder of the photographers perspective.
    I love looking for clues in backgrounds of pix ;). Thanks again Mike.
    CK

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  22. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Alright....going to post a neat article of the final meet on the Russetta Timing's Association's 1951 season. Note that Don Montgomery [rockerhead] is mentioned in the article!! Also going to throw in some random pictures for your enjoyment. Will even throw in a couple of my Uncle Don on his AJS, this is for my two wheel friends! As always, thanks for all the comments and posts. Enjoy!! img017.jpg img018.jpg IMG_1350.JPG IMG_1352.JPG IMG_1354.JPG IMG_1358.JPG IMG_1359.JPG IMG_1375.JPG IMG_1376.JPG IMG_1378.JPG

Lil'Alb, Stogy, Pufff and 6 others like this.
  23. firingorder1

firingorder1

I'm still here Mike and enjoying every post and reply. Love the jampot Ajay!!! I nearly bought one around 1960. A friend beat me to it! Thanks for keeping this post alive. Hot rod history that feels like you're there.

24. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Bill.....was wondering where you were? I figured that those AJS pictures would wake you up. Good to hear from ya!!:)

Stogy likes this.
  25. KKrod

KKrod

Great photograph of Don Blair's modified. The 1951 RTA article shows how popular coupes and sedans had become at el mirage!! And motorcycle desert racing. Only in California. Thanks for posting.

Stogy and 296ardun like this.
  26. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Notice the cars are 4 deep at the timing stand. They really drew some crowds in the late forties.

View attachment 2891375 /QUOTE]

Stogy likes this.
  27. firingorder1

firingorder1

Still here Mike. Basking in those fabulous photos and stories. I'm not complaining about El Mirage today but yesteryear looks oh so tempting. Couldn't resist the Ajay. A friend in high school had one exactly like that. Looked at the DVD a few more times. Still wonderful!!!

Stogy, volvobrynk and 296ardun like this.
  28. 296ardun

296ardun

Incredible history...I wish I had asked Don more about his early lakes career...there was almost nothing in the shop left from that time when I started working there in the early '60s. The late Ron Benham told me that the Mercedes blower stayed in the showroom window for years, no one wanted it because the GMC blowers were becoming popular...I heard somewhere that the blower came from Don's friend Frank Morimoto, who found it in Germany during his wartime service there and brought it back home....

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and hendelec like this.
  29. KKrod

KKrod

Looking at this photo of the Don Blair modified it is apparent how short of a wheelbase it has. Looks like it would be very "interesting" to drive at 140 mph.

[​IMG]

Stogy, wedjim and hendelec like this.
  30. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As it has been said before...the background in these pictures are just as interesting as the foreground!! Uncle Don sure liked those "high water" pants!!!