Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical powerglide transmission

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cronrick, Apr 23, 2015.

1. cronrick

cronrick

Hello everyone.

I found a good deal on a 1955 chevy Belair drive train to replace my 1952 chevy drive train, the power glide transmission on my 52 is closed driveline the 55 is open, my question is can the tail end of the transmission on the 52 be put on the 55 to make it into a closed drive line???

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Possibly. But it would likely require disassembly of both trannies to harvest the output shaft and related components to install in your '55 trans. It would be a good idea to closely compare the rear section of the main case to see if they are configured the same other than the tail housing being open/closed drive.

Not that it matters, but is the '55 a 6 cylinder also?

Ray

3. cronrick

cronrick

Yes it is the 235

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

In that case, there is little or nothing to be gained by using the '55 trans vs the trans in your '52 unless you know that the '55 is in much better condition than your '52. That would eliminate disassembling the transmissions to convert to closed drive. One other consideration though, is the starter and flywheel drive gear. The 6 volts units use a different tooth count vs the 12 volt models. One thing to determine, which I cannot say I recall with absolute certainty, is that the 6 v and 12v parts interchange on the crankshaft, but I 'believe' they do.

That being the case, you have some options about mixing and matching parts. Specifically, use all the '55 stuff... or... use the '52 trans with everything from the '52 behind the engine. If you do not wish to convert to 12volt system, that too argues for using the '52 flywheel and starter. You could still convert to 12 volts later, and simply use the 6 volt starter on 12 volts. That is commonly done and does not hurt the starter as it is usually a brief moment when starting the engine.

Ray

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015

5. cronrick

cronrick

The car is already converted to 12 volt I used a starter from a 1960 chevy belair it bolted rite up and was only $50 bucks.
    I appreciate all the feedback.
    It sounds like some work to switch out the internals I was just hoping that it was just a un bolt and bolt up type deal first I'll see if the transmission shop can do it and for how much $ $ $ if it's not cheap I'll just have to run the original for now and look for a open drive line rear end and drive line since my ultimate goal is to put in a 2004r behind it...

6. cronrick

cronrick

Yes cast iron.