Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest ROSIE THE RIVITER

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by V4F, Apr 23, 2015.

1. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

Woman in famed 'Rosie the Riveter' painting dies .... ANOTHER ICON GONE ....... steve

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Saw this on the news today. I wonder if either her or Rockwell had any idea what an icon she would portray! <3

3. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Pretty famous gal, sorry to see her passing on the news last night. A symbol of the American spirit that helped defeat Hitler and Tojo and also open the workplace to women.

volvobrynk and Doni like this.
  4. Sad to see. My Mom worked for Lockheed, building P-38 fighters during the war. Rosie stood for all the women of the greatest generation who held down the home front and ran a war materials production machine that ultimately saved the world from evil. No exaggeration.

volvobrynk and stillrunners like this.

5. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Very sad news. We lose more of these great folks everyday. My mother tells, about as a little girl, visiting the old Douglas plant in Tulsa and seeing all of the Rosie the Riveters working the line. It must have been inspiring, as she talks about it to this day.

6. ChefMike

ChefMike

not many left from that era its very sad in away ! there is a lot of folks taking so much for granite, never realizing the sacrifices that so many made.

7. those from the greatest generation are leaving us fast . my mother worked at Boeing during the war riveting B17s and pasted away last January

8. You are so right about symbolizing the American Spirit! Where is it now? Tim

49ratfink and olcurmdgeon like this.
  9. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

During WWII my Mom was a welder at Kaiser's shipyard in Richmond California building Liberty ships.. She was part of the crew that set a record building the SS Robert E Peary in less than 5 days.

10. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

timwhit, to some small degree it is embodied in the folks for the most part who post on this forum. Who take scrap and make something remarkable out of it. I think that is what makes us comfortable on the HAMB, a slice of America that still is alive and working. Sad that it only exists in microcosms like this, not in the general population anymore. I read the other day that people are lobbying for laws now that would prohibit an owner from working on his own new car, with regards to electrical and computer systems. Safety they say but you know the real reason is to drive folks to the licensed repair facilities. Gone are the days you could fix your '55 Chevy with a flat screwdriver and an adjustable wrench out in the driveway.

volvobrynk, timwhit and seadog like this.
  11. Paul

Paul
    Editor

thank you "Rosie" and thank you Norman
    we needed that

[​IMG]

volvobrynk and Model T1 like this.
  12. PVTA Jay

PVTA Jay

My Mom also worked for Lockheed in Pomona, building components for P-38 fighters. She passed away 2 years ago

13. brady1929

brady1929

They are leaving us fast. They believed in a hard days work and had a "can do" attitude. An amazing generation.

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

My mom would tell me about the time she worked in a factory during the war she was so proud to do her part and I'm proud to know she did. She along with all the Rosie's were definitely the greatest generation so much was developed during those trying times we are all better due to their efforts.

15. Model T1

Model T1

Maybe has no place here but how many know that the saying "KILROY WAS HERE" was the note left by the inspector, Kilroy, who counted the rivets so the laborors could be paid by the rivet?

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. Just had an Aunt pass away. She worked at Convair. She was proud of her time trying to get her brothers back home to the farm.

17. Model T1

Model T1

Take time to talk to older people while we can still learn first hand about our past.
    Just look at what we are learning from our older HAMB members.

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. saw that as well.....those women made a difference......thanks....

volvobrynk likes this.