Register now to get rid of these ads!

? for anyone running a real schroeder steering box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Justin B, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Justin B

Justin B

i've been trying to figure out the steering for my 33 truck and am running a full hood, a pontiac engine so the starters on the drivers side, and rear dump exhaust manifolds(only way i'm gonna be able to clear the hood) there's just know way to fit a steering box on the frame rail, so i decided i'll use a cowl steer setup. at this point i'm ready to pay up and order a new shroeder unit but have a few questions before i do. mostly what ratio are you running 6:1 or 8:1? are you happy with the way it steers or is the ratio to much for the street? i guess just basiclly are you happy with it or would you have gone another route if you could of?

yes i have built/ owned a car with cowl steering but i used a 1930 pontiac box on that one so i know the associated problems with aligning the steering arm and pitman arm. i just want to know more about the schroeder unit before i spend 500+ for one.
    my only other option on the truck would be to snake a multi piece steering shaft up to a rack or half rack but i'm trying to avoid that.
    thanks

2. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

I've got one in my A. It is the 8:1 box. The pitman arm they send with it is like 12"s long. I shortened it to about 5 or 6"s and have the long arm from speedway on the axle end all to slow it down a bit. I like it, but it is fast and takes a little getting used to. I would use one again. They get stupid money on ebay for used ones and a new one will be built to your exact specs.
    Matt

3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Anyone got a contact number for Schroeder?

4. Andy P

Andy P
    from UK

5. Fallriverfolk

Fallriverfolk

I'm in the same boat as previous questions. Have actually 2 boxes - one is for a midget and one for a sprint. both 8:1 and I have a 15" arm. My questions are low speed turning effort and how rigid does the bracing need to be? Thanks for the help.

6. Hey guys, anybody think of using a 1.5:1 steering quickener turned around to reduce the ratio? 1.5 would put the 8:1 out to 12:1. 2.0 would put it out 16:1.

7. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

You could use a Mustang box and mount is as a cross steer with the box itself on top of the frame rail. I know it's not traditional, but it will solve your problem if you're looking for something other than a Schroeder box (and it'll be covered by the hood).

8. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I used one in my 27 RPU build. It is 8:1 ratio Sprinter box. I shortened pitman arm to 6" center to center and steering effert is not bad. I thought of flipping a ratio quickner but I didn't have room with the hanging petals.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. 500... try more like 800 or 900. I can't remember...my customer payed for it. He wanted it.

I just turned it around in my back yard....it turns quick.... lots of muscle though. I'd never do another one... but they do look cool.

I just built the same thing with an F-1. Its amazing! So good looking, turns so nice, and only costs a buck 50.

10. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

schroeder already makes what they are calling the "hot rod" steering setup... its got its own reducer and brings the ratio to 16:1 without the need to add one... price? bring your checkbook i'm sure.

11. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've got the 8:1 Schroeder box in my deuce roadster. 7 inch pitman and Speedway pickle fork on the spindle.Steers a little hard at low speeds. I have talked to Schroeder about the ratio reducer but having a little trouble deciding if it's worth the additional 650.00 or if I'll just drive it as is. I did it because I have always liked the Spencer roadster.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008

12. Someone told me there is a full waiting list for the 16:1.

13. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

I have used Schroeder steering boxes in many cars and never once had a problem. One of them was a friends car with questionable steering geometry, it never had bump steer or any problems. The steering with a Schroeder is a bit odd, its fast but it is also heavy feeling. It definitely takes some getting used to. If you have any questions Gary is really helpfull.
    Good Luck
    Jimmy White

14. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Anyone know anything about these Mopar boxes? It looks pretty slick to me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Phil1934

Phil1934

Attached Files:

16. lakester47

lakester47

I'm using a very old Schroeder 9:1 box, pre-dates the 6:1 and 8:1 boxes. In my car with an 8" pitman arm and 6.5" steering arm, I could only barely turn the front wheels setting still. Moving it was also very heavy. I sent my box back to Schroeder and had the reducer installed. Very pricey, but I was stuck with what I had. I love the looks and it's easier, but still heavy. If you want the look then you have to pay the price.

17. Dave@theshore

Dave@theshore

Prices are there. $1300 for the gear & reducer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

At 1700 pounds, there's no problem in steering my car.

Attached Files: