Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Speed????? anyone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodspeedco, Jul 27, 2010.

1. 1952henry

1952henry

For Stromberg parts, one name that I go with; no hassle, no excuses, fast shipping, good service. UNCLE MAX, UNCLE MAX, UNCLE MAX. This is not meant to slight others who provide the same for Strombergs. Many times have I ordered, been satisfied each time!

2. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

3. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Years ago I ordered 3 carbs and 3 scoops. got the scoops in 2 days 2 weeks go by no carbs. called left messages nothing finally get ahold of em and hear they are on back order. huh back order on vintage carbs wierd. you'll get em in a few days a wek or so more goes by still on backorder. I canceled payment and went another route. havent done business with em since.

4. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

friends don`t let friends do business with Charlie Price @ Vintage Speed.

5. I guess that I must be one of the Lucky one's. Every time I have dealt with Charlie Price @ Vintage Speed, I have always received what I paid for in a reasonable amount of time, pleasant on the phone, and items were exactly as advertised. I would not be afraid to do so again, if and when something is needed.

firstnomad

6. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I second the advise for "Dickster27" for 94 parts. I have ordered parts from Vintage Speed and haven't had any problems yet.

7. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

Dec. 2010,

After dealing with Charlie Price I now have a $1400.00 uncorrectable regret that has caused a huge fight between my wife and I. I purchased a tri-power set up from Vintage Speed with original "94's". However when it arrived the tops of the screw heads, and jet plugs were damaged. It appeared as though someone had been too aggressive with a screw driver, which also stripped out the body of the carburetor. In addition to this the fuel inlet port on the primary carb. was completely stripped, and when I got the carb off it's base to inspect it, the interior body of the carb was just ate up from fuel cavitation, it had a bent up emulsion tube as well. $1400.00 bucks and now they won't return my e-mails... So I have decided to just go with the Edelbrock repo carbs. My advice to anyone is stay as far away from Vintage Speed as possible, unless you live in Florida and are in a position to knock on his front door and demand your money back. Please forgive the sarcasm, as I honestly do not like to speak ill of people, however you cannot imagine the headache this guy has caused me. My hot rod is my daily driver, now the wife is without a car because I need the grocery getter to go to work. It was just before Christmas and I was forced to buy new carburetors after having just purchased what was supposed to be a "complete fuel system" from Good Old Charlie. Merry Christmas Mr. Price you screwed me and my family big time...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  8. gonzo

gonzo

Ouch.
    It seems like this comes up a lot but I had a good experience with him. I would say one don't place your order via the internet. I call in my orders to him because I suspect he is not too techno savvy. Also he is slow as can be when he gets busy ie maybe around Christmas time. I hope he makes this right by you and I also hope that if he does you do him the service of saying so.

9. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

All, I can say is other sellers of Stromberg and Holly parts will most likely bash him.. I really like Charlie, I have no issues with him..When I first started building Strombergs, several years back I would ask for his advice and he would share it with me.. I wonder why he has been is business for so long, is it due to poor service, poor quality, poor craftmanship..HUMMMMMM..
    Duane..

10. Paul2748

Paul2748

HUH??? He never answers the phone, never returns calls. How do you get advice when he won't talk to you?

That said, I have ordered parts from him through the internet - not ebay - (as i said he never answers or returns calls) and the parts have been okay and the delivery very good.

11. badlefihand

badlefihand

No problems.Carb bases are the best.

12. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Heres a post I made a while back. Figured I'd add to what has already been posted about good ole Charlie Price.

I figured I'd write and let everyone know that I had THE WORST customer service experience ever with my order from Vintage Speed. I ordered 3 Stromberg rebuild kits and some other items online, gave my credit card, got a confirmation email which I printed, etc.

I then waited over a week, and nothing in my mailbox. Since then, I called and left 2 messages, wrote 2 emails, which none were returned. I finally get a hold of Charlie today and he says he was going to go out to the shop and he would call me right back to let me know what was going on with my order. 2.5 hours later I decide to call, because believe it or not- MY time is worth something. His wife (or whoever she is) answers the phone and says nothing has been shipped, and her answer? "I don't know why".

She then proceeds to say "you're the one that wrote the emails right?" (ya know, the ones that were never replied to). Treated me like someone that was annoying her, told me my order has not been shipped, she doesn't know why, and basically why the fuck are you calling me. I cancelled my order, will NEVER do business there ever again, and feel downright disrespected. I cannot believe people that care so little about the ones that order from them are still doing business.

Nope, no more business from me- EVER.

13. He's nothing but a shiester. (did I spell it right?) I sent Charlie 6 very nice Holley 94's to get rebuilt and that I wanted a progressive linkage set up as I was building a street /strip nostagia car. After waiting somewhere around 6 - 7 months I get six beat up carbs and some straight linkage. I was only dumb luck I found him in the swap meet area at the Daytona Turkey Run and shamed him in front of a crowd of people and got the pieces I needed to complete my carb linkage. Since then I've had to replace three of the carb bodies out of the 6. As for jets and power valves, I get them from Summit. Jegs. Speedway etc. I've had to get the carbs completely rebuilt again and found a guy right in my area that is just fantastic. If anybody needs carb work on Strombergs, Holleys, early Ford trannys call Charlie Schwendler at 716 440 8952. He's in Orchard Park, New York.

14. 1952henry

1952henry

I've seen carburetors from a well-known rebuilder in Tacoma that had stripped body threads. I can't figure out how hard it would be to zip in a few cents worth of helicoils to fix that?? Not to mention the wrong throttle arms on "restored LZ carburetors, etc.

15. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

1952henry, I'm impressed that you know that the throttle shaft is different with the LZ Strombergs. Most LZ that I've seen and rebuilt have had the 97, 81 shaft..
    Happy New Year..
    Duane.

16. swanwaco32

swanwaco32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would never deal with them again! I could get him on the phone before I bought a tri power set up from but after I got it and was having problems with it his wife would screen the calls. I think they have a list buy the phone to not answer by Charlie!!!!!! Not nice people to deal with!!!!!!!!!!!

17. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

Bad dude to deal with i cantfind it but theres a website with about 200 seperate people that have been screwed over by this guy....i even heard there was a class action lawsuit....he built a set up for a y-block we worked on and les just say non of the jets or power valves matched in the carbs....it was like they were just thrown together with parts laying around....needless to say he well never get my business anytime soon....also its not just small time customers he screws over call some of the bigger supply houses and see what they say about him

18. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

I had like 25 97,s years back called him ask what he would pay he told 5 bucks a piece I said no thanks, the son of a bitch would not leave me alone till I told him to quit fuck bothering me or I would come down and kick his ars then he got it, I sold em in set of 6 2 sets with manifolds no one around here wanted them some dick a a local meet offered me 3 bucks a piece, e bag got me good dough

19. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

If ever there was someone that needed a new woman

20. 1952henry

1952henry

In the spirit of full disclosure, I was referring to the Holley AA1s.

AA1 LZ throttle arm
    [​IMG]

as opposed to this:
    AA1 Ford throttle arm
    [​IMG]

Now that I've taken this thread down a rabbit trail, would you please educate me on the Stromberg differences??

And, Happy New Year to you.

21. GetSome

GetSome

Ttt, I'll never deal with this company ever again. Never had such a bad experience with a business before. Especially in the hot rod community.

22. clem

clem

Do you realise that this is a 4 year old thread.....

23. Even though I used them twice with no problems, with all the bad press this guy gets I'm shocked he's still in business.......Kind of like cigarettes.....

24. Why not explain what happened?

25. Tony1932

Tony1932

Wow. What an education. My Charlie Price order arrived broken. Only a $30 piece. Judging by this thread, I have no expectation of getting it resolved. But I will call tomorrow and see what happens.

26. I’ve followed this, only because I’ve only met Charlie in person, and first impressions were enough for me to shy away from him.
    What is baffling is, like Howell Sheetmetal, Charlie sustains his unfavorable business practices year after year, and yet people continue to choose to send them money and expect some transformation.
    Curiouser and couriser.