Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** April 2015 Banger meet - no fooling!!!***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Apr 1, 2015.

1. kiwikid

kiwikid

Kjell Elias likes this.
  2. noboD

noboD

Rich, has the top one made noise yet?

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

When we went to fire the M&B engine the rear exhaust port fell apart. We tried several times to repair it, but no go. The head needed to be cut apart and extensive welding to replace the rotted iron. Bob, who owned the head wouldn't pay for that. And he wouldn't sell it to me. But the Montana Dodge Boys made him an offer that he took. So they took the head to Al Liest and eventually he did repair it, I think. In the meantime Zenon bought am aluminum Chrysler 360 head and we cut it up and stretched it to fit the '26 Dodge block. Zenon has been covering it in the Morton & Brett thread he had going. It still needs more work in pushrod and guide plate alignment franken4.jpg linkage.jpg 001.JPG

Jet96, Crazydaddyo and Hotrodmyk like this.
  4. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

serious stuff right there ........... steve

5. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

6. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

If anyone is in the So Cal area this Sunday, you might want to go to this event:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Managed to score an early Mallory cast distributor with 2 piece cap this afternoon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I like my FS . ............. steve

9. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

What event is that?? I'd love to go and check it out!

10. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

It's all in the flyer.
    Don't miss it.

11. briphaeton

briphaeton
    from cal

I'm running a 1939 transmission and V8 pressure plate in my banger for over 25 years and it's been great. I broke the clutch fork and have the engine out to repair it. I had a V8 style throw bearing carrier ( shorter than the model A one). I wanted to replace it with a model A one now but it seems to be a 1" too long ? The short carrier is worn out. Has anyone else ran across which carrier to use? Thanks for any input.
    Brian

12. briphaeton

briphaeton
    from cal

My 39 trans has been in the car for 25 years now and forgot that you need the V8 style throw out bearing carrier(which is about 1" shorter). Thanks to Mr Cling for answering my telephone question. Found another carrier in the shed so I'm set in put the engine in tomorrow.

John Heckman likes this.
  13. Did something terrible to the maxwell, has model a driveline.Driving fine, them white smoke came pouring out of oil fill tube. Figures it happens right before I take off for two weeks. So I can't even do a little investigating. Oh well, just means a full engine build.

Attached Files:

14. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

sounds like a piston went bad .

15. briphaeton

briphaeton
    from cal

16. briphaeton

briphaeton
    from cal

Sorry. Here are a couple of hill climb engines from Auburn. 004.JPG 017.JPG 002.JPG 002.JPG

barrnone50, Jet96 and waxhead like this.
  17. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

lots of nice overheads there

18. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Thanks for the pics....

19. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Nice Banger pics, thanks for sharing. Feel free to upload more if you have them

20. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

I'm curious to know how many of you guys are running dual carbs on your banger.
    I've got twin 81's on mine and I'm being told by a few guys that she's overcarburated.

I've got a hesitation or flat spot at low end that we just can't figure out.
    I changed the distributor, messed around with various jets and sent both carbs out for a professional rebuild but I'm still having the same problem.

She's got a Lions head and a Model B crank.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

21. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

when I had 2 - 81s I had to much carb . now running a weber & love it . the 2 - 81s will work . do you need a sync gauge ? ............... steve

22. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I'm running two 97's (English version) with no problems at 6700' elevation. Also note that I'm using chrome covers on the studs......that and the louvered air cleaners probably eliminate issues. DSC02928.JPG

Kjell Elias, gwhite and Jet96 like this.
  23. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

The last few posts make me start to wonder about me running a single 97 of my coupe project. To start with I plan on running a mostly stock A engine until I save to build an insert one. I have a single manifold and a reds header. I am also planning on running an old Mallory distributor with it. I am afraid of over carbureting a stock engine with a single 97. I am at 6200 feet in Cheyenne WY. I need to make a decision soon as to what exactly to run as I am only about a month from being able to put it on the road. Also still looking for a clutch to run with a stock bell housing and a T-5. Its the last piece of my puzzle.

24. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

Not really sure about the sync guage, the guy I had doing the work may have used one I'm not too sure.
    Spoke to an oldtimer that has a lot of experience with bangers and he also said I'm over carbureted.

25. noboD

noboD

And what do your spark plugs say?

26. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

if you have the "lion 3" head , it wants fuel !! love mine ........

27. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

One 94-97 or two 81s works fine around town. Running stop light to stop light.

My old engine
    B cam
    6.4 to1 head
    One 94 carb
    Did 73mph on GPS on the highway I wouldn't hold it there long but it did it.

With the A1 cam in my car it falls flat with the 2 81s and with the 97s it just keeps pulling way past the RPMs I want to turn at. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430179773.732056.jpg

gwhite and Crazydaddyo like this.
  28. RussTee

RussTee

TUNING I thought I knew about tuning I run two early Strongberg Holden carbs and a early Nisson electronic dizzy. I put my RP on a rolling road and let the experts at it what a difference it made it came back running a lot better and I would recomend every body does the same they will provide you with print out graphs showing the difference nowdays what we think we know and the real readings can be measured showing the real performance

gwhite and BCCHOPIT like this.
  29. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

Thanks for all the suggestions fella's, I'll be experimenting further for a solution to the problem and check back to update progress.

30. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

what it boils down to is ... if you want the looks of 2 carbs , run em & tune as a daily driver . if its not running so rich it kills the motor at an idle , daily driving well help you figure it out . I ran 2 updraft zeniths & 2 downdraft strombergs . mine is my only car , so tuned it as I went . the weber ran rich , but tuning got it better . it just patience & what you want .
    if running a fuel pump , bring the fuel pressure way down . persevere my young man & it will work .. steve
    PS: run a good distributor . I like my FS .