Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage ACME SPEED SHOP-Road Trip to the Round Up 2015

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Acme Speed Shop, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

A few more.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429647990.851466.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429648013.963130.jpg
    Found this keychain in an abandoned house.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429648067.223679.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429648099.653334.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429648136.689176.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429648174.626969.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429648203.822896.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429648230.969652.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429648247.424876.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429648265.283707.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429648284.726756.jpg
    Cool graffiti in an abandoned truck stop.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429648329.716066.jpg
    I think this is one of the Brizzio crew blowing by us at about 90mph.

2. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

The black roadster was Charles Kozsis.

3. Rckt98

Rckt98

Great story & pics. Have you guys taken over from Denise with road trip stories?
    I have been on a lot of those roads (Route 66 & Grand Canyon), the scenery is unreal.
    Safe travels.

4. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Today was a weird ending to a good, but strange trip. It seems like we had more than our share of heart wrenching encounters in the most unsuspecting places. This was a road trip and you expect some stress and anxiety along the way. That uneasy feeling you have somewhere back in your mind is what keeps you alert and on your game; after all you never know what is going to happen.

We have had our share of scary and weird stuff on past trips to the round up but somehow this year tops them. A few years ago my buddy Jack and I were held at gunpoint by a crazed meth head that thought we were trying to steal his friend's 1940's white bus. Then 3 years ago my friend Bruce and I saw a big rig blow over right in front of us in the worst cross winds I've ever driven in. We've seen accidents, plane crashes, mothers with newborns walking on the interstate, you name it and we've probably seen it. But somehow this year gets the prize.

Nothing tragic happened this trip and none of it was all that dramatic but we seemed to have a lot of "moments" where we found ourselves in very touching conversations with total strangers. We had people open up to us when we least expected it and share stories with us that were just incredible.

It has been a tough couple of years for Cynthia and I. We have both lost our Mothers, I lost my Father too and we have had some other difficult family issues. I think we are more tuned into the fragile and tentative nature of life; we are all on borrowed time. Maybe we were just open to it or maybe we actually attracted it. Who knows.

A few of the gifts we were given on our trip:

To the dear, sweet old woman in an antique store in Brownfield Texas that told us about retiring after 31 years as a teacher to go home and care for her "baby boy" until he died in her arms. Thank you for putting it all in perspective. Our kid, although a tough one for us, is alive today.

To the paramedic who pulled over to ask about the Acme Van in Sierra Blanca and ended up telling us his life story about his hardships, a divorce, alcoholism and finally getting sober. Then when things were starting to get better in his life and the wreckage was behind him, he lost his 16 yr. old daughter to leukemia. It was 7 months to the day from diagnosis to death. Thank for reminding us to stay present and appreciate today; it may be our last.

To Lloyd and Carolyn that gave us a 2 1/2 hour ride to the airport today after the van broke down. They told stories for the whole ride and we were transported thru history while listening to them talk of 3 generations of their family living in New Mexico and how their grand parents had made their fortunes and had lost it all, not once, but twice in a lifetime. And how they have lived in that area and raised a family of their own and now they have 6 children 33 grand children. Thanks for making us a part of your family today, if only for a moment. We were reminded what the fabric of our great country is made of; people like you.

And finally to our friends in Texas - Thanks for always making us "Californians" feel like Texas family.

Until next time……..

5. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Thank you for all the pictures and for sharing your trips with us .

6. 60'coupe

60'coupe

Great last post John and Cynthia I hope to see you both soon. Thanks for another great adventure.
    Rob

7. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Damn your last post above says it all. We all must live in the day and rejoice at what we have. Those of us who are "old farts" like me realize we are in extra innings and the game could end at anytime. Glad you had a safe trip, albeit it eventful, and thanks much for the commentary and the pictures.

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Best travel thread ever.

MacTexas likes this.
  9. Happy trails indeed. This ain't no dress rehearsal, have some fun along the way. Thanks for taking us along!

10. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

I wait every year for this thread. I love seeing the pics and reading about the people you get to meet along the way. Thanks for letting me ride along online!

11. Wow! What a journey!
    Beautiful folks, beautiful scenery, beautiful stories.
    Thanks for sharing your memory making trip.

12. Swede64

Swede64

The Acme roadtrips are always great. Some very wise words that made this one even more special.
    Thanks a lot and i´m one of many that are looking forward to the next trip.