Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Vertex magneto advance

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by pinkynoegg, Apr 21, 2015.

1. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

There is a ton of info out there on the old vertex mags but I can't find anything on how to convert it from a locked advance to the centrifugal mechanical advance. I have the weights but they didn't come with instructions and they are all stamped with different numbers and lock in place it seems like. My tireless internet searches come up with nothing. Surely someone on here has converted one before... so, any info or links to info would be greatly appreciated!

2. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Check with Bubba's ; If he's unable, he'll know where to send it!

3. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

Yeah I plan on calling around if no one on here can step me through it. I would like to do it myself and not send it off as I have all the parts and the ability, just not the information. Its almost like its become a trade secret as to how to install these things since there isnt any info out there on how to do it. Or im just way over thinking it

4. 1934coupe

1934coupe

There are lots of people that won't give up information on what earns them a living, even on this site, concerning magnito's , engines , trans swaps. I can't help you out either I sent mine to a magneto shop here in NY. Wish I could be of more help.

Pat

Desoto291Hemi likes this.

5. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Save yourself some hassle, just send it to someone who knows them.
    Not only can they properly install your weights, they may find problems you don't see, and one big plus, is that they can refresh your magnets strength. Which should be done on a somewhat regular basis.
    There's a few old time people out there, Don Zig in SoCal is one. Not sure who is actually doing the work nowadays , but he's built me a couple of good working Vertex mags in the past. There's others I'm sure.

Mike

6. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

I cant justify sending off a good mag to someone just to have them install some weights in the proper order when I am just as capable. The magnets are fine in this one (it hits hard, trust me) and it was working fine when pulled. If it needed work, I might send it off but not for something I know I can do myself. What happened to the mentality of the shade tree mechanic? Lots of the threads I read on car magnetos said to just send it off.... 30 bucks in shipping, 50 bucks in labor, and 2 weeks later you would have the same product as if you had done it yourself. Just my $.02 I guess.

7. oj

oj

Well then, take it apart. The weights etc are in the lowest section of a Vertex, lift the generator off and they are right there. It's very well engineered and near fool-proof, no hidden springs with ballbearings to zip past your ear.
    You'll probably find weights already there and just locked out. The ones I've seen are so precise you can see the filing marks on the brass weights where the tech nailed down the curve.
    A thing of beauty really.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  8. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

Yeah ive taken it apart already. It has some cardboard/wood plates in there with different holes to lock everything in place. The weights I bought to advance everything are different. They are almost like half moons that go on the two studs in the bottom of the unit. Im confused on the oder of the plates as they seem to have different numbers stamped in them. I got the part where you shim them up on the post using the supplied spacers, and think the largest weights go closest to the body of the mag with the springs inside of them. All the other weights have different cuts than the big weightd and different numbers, like 2, 6 and 8. When they are added the shaft will advance a little then seems to get locked in place by the smaller weights. Thats what is confusing me.

9. oj

oj

I have one here that has advance and I'll knock it apart and see if I can help - mine is for a chevy if that matters. I'll look and take a pic or two.

10. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

Mine is a chevy mag that I am converting over to run in a hemi so that would be perfect. Thanks a ton!

11. oj

oj

I'm no help. I took apart my spare and the bottom was empty. I remember swapping them years ago and marveling at the workmanship in the advance plates. I then took apart the one in my car (seen in my avatar, converted to large cap) and that one has no advance, it had the wood pieces to form the drive.
    Be happy to post pics of what I have if that will help but it's probably the same as yours. I suspect the advance was so complex I never reinstalled it in the spare mag, I looked thru my box that has the mag loose parts to see if the pieces were there.
    There was an engineer that worked on mine, he was involved with the S&S guys and Stone Woods & Cook, his shop was called 'Franks High Performance Hardware' located in Arlington Virginia. He was a Vertex Magneto guy, his shop is out of business, he is semiretired and he'd be the guy to fix you up. Frank converted mine to external coil 30 years ago. We'll see if we can find a number for him.

badandy likes this.
  12. oj

oj

I found Franks' number, 703-534-1626, I called and it seemed like a machine picked it up but nobody answered.

13. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

Oj, thanks for the help. Speedway sells a manual for these things apparently so I'm going to order it and hopefully that helps. If I get to the bottom of this mess, expect a technical thread on it so no one has this problem in the future!

14. john walker

john walker

Send it to Cirello. Google him.

15. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. shop teacher

shop teacher

I am a retired shop teacher and I have 2 items from C/L that I know nothing about, but would like to use on my 51 Willys gasser. It was raced in the 60's by the Mortel Bros. One is a Vertex magneto and the other is a Hilborn fuel injection. I have found most replies advise to send it in or run a 4 barrel -no real help. I have more yesterdays than tomorrow but prefer to do most things myself. I enjoy working on them more than driving. I hope to stay up with any info you find.

17. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

I found a copy of the manual on eBay for 15 bucks so it's on its way to me. I got ahold of a hamber who had bought one and he said it had info on the advance weights. Ill update with any info I find

18. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Shop teacher

How much stuff do you have with the Hilborn? Like ; pump, front cover (if running a cam drive) lines, jets, pill holder. I am running one on my MG but I drag race it. I deal with Alky Digger; http://www.alkydigger.net Mike is very knowledgeable but hard to get a hold of, he's always on the phone. As far as the magneto put it in and start it up, if it run's you have it made. Youy will need a shut of switch to ground out the mag to shut down. And an old style Sun tach with a "MAG" transmitter box.

Good Luck, Pat

19. sr

sr
    from Monterey

20. 7&7

7&7
    from Colorado

Don't send it to Vertex. Every time they touch a mag it is $400 minimum. And they take off your Mags Tag and put theirs on.

brigrat likes this.
  21. christmas tree

christmas tree

Pinky I think the Chevy and Chrysler are opposite rotation and takes a different breaker plate.

22. christmas tree

christmas tree

Google Mitch Ford magneto repair He,s in Evansville Indiana po. no. is 812-476-5640 and 702-260-4824. He has done several for me. Rates are good and he is very skilled in Vertex repair.

23. It depends on which Chrysler - early Hemi is the same as Chevy . . . later generations are opposite.

24. pnevells

pnevells

Send it to Mason Racing ignition, Pat Mason was the manufacturing manager at Vertex before Taylor bought them, he owns much of the old tooling from them, He did my mag , he does all kinds of mag ignitions and is a super nice guy

upload_2017-4-23_10-22-12.png

25. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

Pat Mason is awesome to deal with!! My mag was damaged by ups and Pat replaced it! No BS

Sent from my LM-X410.FGN using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

hotcoupe likes this.
  26. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

27. john walker

john walker

Question: I sent my vertex to Cirello for a recharge and hook up the mechanical advance.
    With any other distributor, you can turn the rotor and feel it spring back, showing that the advance mechanism is free. Mine doesn't turn. Are these things like that normally?