Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 51 Studebaker truck build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jcox68rt, May 24, 2013.

1. The 2r5 stude is the best looking trucks made IMO. Mine sits while I finish my coupe.but one day I'll get back to it

2. I haven't been on in awhile, but popped in to check your progress.....pics man, pics!!

3. Jcox68rt

Jcox68rt

Tomorrow , I'll post pics tomorrow but I'm still,waiting on my mustang II front suspension!

4. dan@larescorp

dan@larescorp

I love the truck!

5. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Very cool project

6. PackardV8

PackardV8

I love C-cab Studes. We've had them in my family since they came along in '49. I've owned a '55 for thirty-five years now.

The one thing you've missed is the rear springs. That huge stack of narrow leaves hanging down under always looks bad to my eyes.

While you're still into the frame, do what I wish I'd done; get some late-model 1/2t 3-leaf springs and move them to the top of the axle and the matching hangers to go higher on the frame. The look and the handling will be vastly better.

I did install quad rear shocks. Four matching heavy duty Gabriels, two in the stock position and two custom mounts near vertical. Again, huge improvement in handling and ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My truck now has a 4.10 Dana 60 rear and a Packard Caribbean V8.

[​IMG]

jack vines

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. Jcox68rt

Jcox68rt

Okay so the mustang II finally showed up and I didn't waste time tack welding it in to see how it was all going to turn out. I ordered the kit with 2" drop spindles...oops! With my 15" rims the cross member is below the scrub line. Tomorrow I will put the calipers on to see if they even clear the 15's, they might not... In which I will just have to start looking for some bigger rims.. Artillery comes to mind... Hhhmmmmmm? What to do? What to do?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

8. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

Your truck is looking great, I am doing a 50 myself, very slowly, we have the body work done on the cab and I scored a 95 Dodge Dakota that I am using the frame for the Stude. Nice thing about the Dakota is that the wheel base is the exact same as the Stude. Keep at it and keep me inspired to get back to mine.

9. safetythird

safetythird

Nice progress-beautiful truck.

10. Jcox68rt

Jcox68rt

Thanks! Been a little slow progress wise with kids out for the summer and been doing a few necessary repairs to my 63 gmc daily driver lately.
    image.jpg

You aren't too far away from me, south SLO county vs. north county, lol!

11. safetythird

safetythird

Yeah-I just moved to the area about a year ago-mostly been setting up my show and I'm working on a '62 Falcon when I'm not chasing the kids.