Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs What r My Options on timing tab problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swaluda, Apr 18, 2015.

1. swaluda

swaluda
    from pa.

Bought a crate SBC. Found TDC is an inch past my timing tab, what Options am I looking at, thanks for any advise,,,,Stan

2. squirrel

squirrel

Mark the damper where it needs to be. Change the timing tab. Put degreed timing tape around the damper. Replace the damper. Replace the engine. Write down how far off it is, and use that info every time you use a timing light on it. Lots of options....

3. swaluda

swaluda
    from pa.

4. swaluda

swaluda
    from pa.

Thanks Squirrel, Makes sense to me

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I think Squirrel pretty well covered it.

6. gas & guns

gas & guns

Had that problem before. Made a pointer, bolted it to timing chain cover. Cut a new mark in the balancer with a three corner file. Then timing tape. I like to mark the balancer in case the cheap ass tape falls off.

pitman likes this.
  7. Tune with a vac gauge? That's what I do anyway.

8. squirrel

squirrel

When you tune with a vacuum gauge, how do you set total timing? Do you just hope that the advance curve is set up right?

9. This is what I did years ago on some forgotten engine, only I cut the new mark on the home made tab since its easier to file on it than file the balancer.

10. aaggie

aaggie

Pull #1 spark plug and find true TDC. Moroso, Mr. Gasket and others sell adjustable timing pointer tabs that attach using existing timing cover screws. Align the "0" on the adjustable pointer with the mark on your balancer. You can also make your own using the other suggestions.
    I have a mismatch of parts on my 400SBC so I laid a roofing nail in the groove on my balancer and held it in place with a magnet then tack welded the head to the timing cover. I snipped off the excess nail and hit it with some white paint and it works perfectly. There are lots of ways to fix your problem.

gas & guns likes this.
  11. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

Had the same problem on my '41 with sb Cheby. Off by about 20 degrees. I used timing tape, and now I just use 20 as TDC.