Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Can't believe how lucky I got ........... 23 T or 27 RPU

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rok55, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Rok55

Rok55
    from Cheyenne

Hello again H.A.M.B,

Been quite a while since I was able to really work on any of my projects due to a combination of health problems, weather and more pressing issues on the home front. Things are finally coming around for me and I am back to working full time and attacking a few project things as weather allows. I've been lurking here during winterand rekindling my desire to find an RPU, a long time longing that had been at least temporarily satiated when I stumbled across that 24 TT C-Cab in 2013. The C-Cab has seen some improvement and is a runner but still needs a couple things to make it really enjoyable, namely kingpins and to figure out why the tranny doesn't engage reliably. Minor issues ........... lol. IMG_0912.JPG

Anyway ............

A failed partnership between a customer and the business owner recently resulted in a 27 RPU being available for acquisition. Original steel in fairly good condition with some rust through on the quarters behind the doors and in the seatback area. Bed is also pretty nice with minor rust through in a few areas but nothing I can't fix. Includes a basic seat, aluminum radiator w/nice surround, pair of suitable headlights and an original stripped down chassis but no suspension. Somebody had taken the time to apply a judicious coat of Ruddy Red Primer to the RPU and that was successful in preserving it while in what was apparently a long stint in storage. There was also the complete 302/T-5/8.8 driveline from a totaled 98 Mustang street racer. Struck a deal and it's mine, I was in no rush to get it home but it's mine..

image.jpg

image (1).jpg

Now I have been collecting all kinds of stuff over the years; motors, trans, rears, leftovers from other projects, auction fodder that I thought may come in handy & intentional buys anticipating this project coming along some day. The one major piece I did not have and surely would need was a front axle setup, so the search was on. Inquiring about an axle with a buddy who has some local contacts in the rodding scene turned up not just an axle but a stalled project that was for sale. A phone call, inspection visit and some negotiations that same day landed me a fairly complete albeit disassembled fiberglass 23 T-Bucket minus a motor. Can't say that I fancy the fiberglass or the way this project was designed but the parts are there and will make a great base for a new project. I loaded up the pile of parts and set about the new task.

IMG_0922.JPG

First mock up .......... IMG_0924.JPG

Sit back and evaluate what's there and how best to utilize it all ............ hmmm ...........some good stuff here..... like Wilwood brake system .........
    IMG_0926.JPG
    Brand new Reversed Vega box on an interesting mount ........ IMG_0928.JPG

Fuel Tank will certainly work out nicely ........... without the taillight brackets that is .........
    IMG_0930.JPG

Fabricated frame is well done but will need some modification for my needs .......
    IMG_0925 (800x598).jpg

So ................... I wonder how the RPU will fit. We'll see in the next installment.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great looking '27 T RPU! I'd flip that '23 project and buy a Model A chassis for the '27 and start building it. Bob

gwhite, D-Russ and Squablow like this.
  3. Rok55

Rok55
    from Cheyenne

Thanks for the input, being new to these cars I have to ask why an A chassis instead of modifying this one?

4. Probably because this comment made it sound like you wanted to put the Roadster Pickup body on the T bucket's chassis? If so, it won't fit well. Roadster pickup needs a longer wheelbase (or at least the major components moved around, ie. Engine and body moved foward, etc) and a flatter chassis (no giant kickup at the rear). Most T chassis are roughly 96" to 100" wheelbase, but the body on an actual roadster pickup is mounted a good 18"-24" further foward than a T-bucket. You haven't said what motor your going to run yet, but assuming the 302 mentioned earlier, there's little to no room for it under a stock Model T hood. With the Model A chassis (with 103.5" wheelbase, those extra 3.5 inches are gonna come in handy! Can the T Bucket frame be converted, absolutely! Will it be cost effective, not likely! If you can do it ALL yourself, and don't mind spending all that time modifying something that was never made to fit, go for it. But the odd's are a Model A frame will
    get you there a lot quicker, and probably cheaper!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Blownfuel must be a veteran builder. His ideas SOUND very sound. You might want to take his advice, probably save yourself some headaches down the road. Roadster pickups rule.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

That is why the Model A chassis is the way to go. The RPU body is so nice it needs to be setuo on a traditional A chassis IMO. Or sell the RPU and finish the T bucket project. Bob

7. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

"A failed partnership between a customer and the business owner recently resulted in a 27 RPU being available for acquisition. Struck a deal and it's mine, no rush to get it home but it's mine.."

I don't know the details of the failed business deal, but if you paid for it and have the title, I'd get it home.

You have a shot at 3 complete Rods here. The C cab, T Bucket and RPU. Finish out the T Bucket and sell it or the C cab to finance the (long wanted) RPU build. This provides seed $ for the build while you still have a Rod to drive.

I would;
    Work out the quirks (king pins, etc) on the C cab. (quick work)

Finish the T bucket. (relatively quick project)

Sell off the C cab or bucket to finance the RPU. This would give you seed money for a new front suspension (rather than cannibalize the nearly complete T Bucket for the front end), and frame.
    Consider ordering a set of Deuce rails for the RPU foundation...(long term frame up project)

8. missysdad1

missysdad1

This sounds like excellent advice all the way around...with one tiny exception. I'd assemble the T bucket and get it operable but leave it unpainted and unplated. That way a potential buyer will "see" it in his mind in his own choice of colors...and save you some heavy bucks and time in the process.

Also...2X on the Deuce frame for the RPU, especially if you're going to build it as a highboy.

Good luck!

9. Squablow

Squablow

The C-cab is neat in a Willy Wonka 70's far out kinda way, I like it, it'd look a lot nicer with the wheels off of the T bucket project, if they had the same bolt pattern, I'd trade them out.

I realize this thread wasn't opened up to get everyone's opinion, but if I had what you've got, I'd swap those wheels, put the 302 stuff in the T bucket and sell that off as a project, then I'd fix that C cab truck and drive it around while building the RPU as a traditional rod. I have a '26 that's very close to completion, flathead on an A frame, and they really do fit the A frame nicely. Looks like you have a nice body to start with too, congrats on an excellent find.

volvobrynk, D-Russ and brad2v like this.
  10. I'm not sure which approach you are leaning towards, but that RPU is so cool, whatever I did would be for the purpose of getting it going!!!

11. Thank's Gary, but no, not really a veteran. What I do have is exactly what the O.P. wants to build. A T-bucket chassis with a '26 Roadster pickup body on it. And proportionally, it's pretty all wrong. They attempted to compensate by leaving the rear of the frame (after the kick up) longer than usual (about 30"), but with a bed on it, it sits to high or you have to channel the bed down over it and lose most the usable inside the bed space. Not necessarily wrong if that's the look your going for, and I've seen some really good looking cars built that way (see the Maroon car in the attached pic). I just think the red car on a flat chassis is more useful, and is an actual roadster pickup, where as the maroon one is basically a T-Bucket with a longer bed (Not banging on T-Buckets here, I love them, and own 2 (3 if you count the roadster pickup, because mine will probably eventually end up looking like that maroon one), just pointing out the diference in build styles. The pic of the red car "might" even be a Model A (posting from my kindle, can't make it big enough to tell), but either way, it works to illustrate the difference in looks between using a flat chassis and a kicked up one. 1429280327980.jpg

Attached Files:

12. louisb

louisb

Lucky bastard. Been looking for an RPU as well and that looks like a nice one.

--louis

13. 117harv

117harv

Please put the tie rod back behind the axle where it belongs. Nice score, the body and bed looks to be in great shape.

wbrw32 and gwhite like this.
  14. Squablow

Squablow

The maroon example above is pretty decent, I like it more than I thought I would, but that red one is beautiful, I actually have pictures of that one saved in a folder of inspirational cars that I put together while working on my '26. That is a perfect example of what I think of when I think of a traditional T roadster pickup. I really like the wheelbase with the front axle directly under the grille (no suicide mount) and the unchanneled body gives the T a bit more visual "meat", otherwise they're kinda small.

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That maroon one is a Photoshop, the owner was hoping to change his car to look like that.

16. Rok55

Rok55
    from Cheyenne

Squablow ......... one thing I learned early on while lurking in the shadows here on the HAMB is that if you put yourself and your project out there, then you had better be open for whatever opinions and advice may be coming your way. That is exactly what I want. I appreciate and seek out the sage advice from those with experience where I don't have any and can certainly accept even what may seem like criticism from unwarrated sources. Brother, thats what makes the HAMB special, you get it all without anybody getting Stupid (for the most part). I love it.

I appreciate the words of wisdom from all and now somewhat understand the suggestion on the A frame. My fabbed frame is flat but way short and would need to be lenghtened and widened in the rear to accomodate the RPU, especially since I plan on a Jag IRS back there. That is part of my struggle right now. How best to use what I've got. I tend to agreee with those suggesting completion of the T Bucket to a driver stage (unpainted and unpolished as Missysdad1 suggested) (and with the tie rod behind the axle as 117 Harv suggests) as a source of funding for the RPU and may end up going that way. One things for sure ... the RPU and the C Cab ain't going nowhere ( was The37Kid fishing right there? :) .... just don't see'um much and I was lucky enough to find both in decent condition.

Blownfuel: You mentioned the fitment issue under the stock T Hood, my mockups so far show it's pretty much impossible to get an SBC under there on this frame, can a 302 be wedged under the hood if using a A chassis or will the hood need to be extended? I would like to use the hood and sides if at all possible. While I do like the look of the purple Bucket I absolutely love the Red RPU and will be working towards something like that but with a slightly higher stance, not nosebleed but something a little easier for for and old guy with a back back to get in and out of.

The RPU is in my shop now and i've spent a bit of time mocking it up on the T frame with the Jag under it so I can get a visual on frame height, wheelbase, frame mods needed if I go that direction, etc. I'll be posting more on that when I get home tonight.

I am capable of doing MOST ALL and don't mind the work, but QUICKER and CHEAPER is almost always BETTER for me as long as the quality remains high.

Tell Me more about why DEUCE RAILS

Squablow likes this.
  17. KustomCandy

KustomCandy
    from Australia

Interesting build/s. Subscribed to see how this turns out.

Dan

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've got all the projects I need right now, but if your RPU project was an hour away I'd be trying to add it to the stack.. The nice thing about yours is the condition, and the fact it is real, note the front stake pockets on the bed, the location is different than a Model A. They are there so the top could fold down, an A had a fixed top that didn't fold. Got to share this info so people know what this stuff is. An A chassis would be a great base, but '32 rails would be super. Bob

19. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I think the idea of doing enough work on the T-bucket to make it sell for more $ to fund the RPU project is a good idea, now the C cab is too cool to get rid of, if you can afford to keep it and build the RPU the way you want. Either way, I'm subscribed and can't wait to see what you do. :cool:

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. 1karnut

1karnut
    from texas

The R P U is the only show on the farm 32 rails with a Caddy or Olds engine and drive the pixx out of it. Will be a cool ride any way you build it.

21. Rok,

It's a REALLY tight engine compartment (as I'm sure you know). Pretty sure everyone I've ever seen with a stock hood on it had the firewall tunneled to holde the rear 6" or so of the engine. At ;least with the Ford there's nothing you need to get to back there on a regular basis! And building it as a taller car vice a bucket will let you keep a little leg room. Are you planning on running a top?

Kurt (Blownfuel)

22. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Tell Me more about why DEUCE RAILS[/QUOTE]

To me they just look better on Deuce rails when built as a Hiboy. Here's a visual of a traditional T Roadster on 32 rails. Poke around the HAMB and internet and you'll find some RPU's on 32 rails;

Attached Files:

• T 2.jpg
      T 2.jpg
      File size:
      259.1 KB
      Views:
  23. Rok55

Rok55
    from Cheyenne

I must admit that I've had a blast bringing the RPU home. Four guys at the shop to get it loaded on my trailer and just me to get it off.
    IMG_0934.JPG IMG_0935.JPG IMG_0936.JPG

Here are some shots to show you what I'm working with

P4110029.JPG P4110033.JPG P4110040.JPG P4110039.JPG P4110038.JPG P4110043.JPG P4110041.JPG P4110036.JPG P4110037.JPG

And here is some of the stuff I've collected en-route this project

P4110046.JPG P4110045.JPG P4110049.JPG P4110050.JPG P4110051.JPG P4110052.JPG
    P4110065 (1024x768).jpg P4110056.JPG

Not shown are two aluminum radiators and three different surrounds. So with the parts from the Bucket purchase and the stuff I already have I am in a pretty good starting spot. More to come,

Attached Files:

24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:eek: Those blue seats do NOT go into that RPU. They look like swap meet fodder to me. :D
    Same with the independent rear.

patmanta and wbrw32 like this.
  25. Rok55

Rok55
    from Cheyenne

Agree on the seats :) But was planning using the IRS

26. Rok55

Rok55
    from Cheyenne

Since I don't have the 302 here yet I used a SBC to do some mock up for visual reference and planning. IMG_0948 (1024x765).jpg

P4110030 (1024x768).jpg
    Sits way too high with these mounts regardless of which body gets mounted on this frame, definitely will need different / lower mounts.
    P4110058.JPG

Pretty obvious that I'll need to modify the firewall as well. Don't want to butcher that original piece so I'll remove it and go from there. P4120075 (1024x768).jpg P4120076 (1024x768).jpg P4120077 (1024x768).jpg

Plan to bring down the nose a bit, probably around 8" to the frame rail in front and 12" in the rear. Gonna move that tie rod behind the axle where it belongs and the Jag IRS will fit comfortably under the frame at that height.

P4110070 (1024x768).jpg

P4110069 (1024x768).jpg

So, now I am in the "GET ADVICE" mode and considering which way to go. Seems like consensus is an A frame for the RPU and I now see why, guess the search for an A frame is high on the list. Will also need to source up another front axle assy and related suspension/brake setup. I'm interested to hear opinions on whuch way to go in that regard (split bones vs 4 bar vs radius rods). I will probably look to swapping the Wilwood stuff off this rig to the new one.

In the mean time I can get started on repairing the RPU sheet metal and modifying the existing frame to fit the T Bucket. More to follow as I make progress on the build.

If the weather allows I'm gonna try and make it to the swap meet at Speedway in Lincoln Nebraska next week. Have a bit of stuff to unload, will really need the funds for the RPU build. Anybody else making the trip/

27. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Cool project.. Just wondering why you ran the steering arms in front instead of behind like they are supposed to be???

28. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I happen to be one that likes the Jag IRS, and I have always liked the looks of split bones. My opinion FWIW

29. Rok55

Rok55
    from Cheyenne

Scrap Metal: ....... came that way and I am going to correct it

Dick Stevens ........... Me too, Thanks

30. I love how Jag IRS's look, I HATE changing rotors on them during a brake job!