Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects ...been working on wife's Safari

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by No Plan, Jun 16, 2014.

1. No Plan

No Plan

haven't had my wife's 55 Safari out for a few of years cause the engine went sour a couple of years ago coming home from the GG Des Moines, & I was working on other stuff. She has been very patience, but finally said it's time to fix it. I wasn't putting anymore $ in the 287" or stock driveline. Thought I could get it ready for this years Back to the 50's(Minnesota) event. We bought a rebuilt 4oo" Pontiac & had a 2oo4r trans(bop) done for it. Pulled the old stuff out, had to make new side mounts & a trans x-member for it cause the old stuff had 1 front mt. & bellhousing side mts. Decided to fill the holes in firewall & upgrade the steering as well. Last week after doing those things I thought I'd better sandblast the front area & repaint those parts. I'll post pics. Not going to drive it to BTT50's.(Damn!) 011.JPG 018.JPG 006.JPG 012.JPG 007.JPG

2. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Cool! Looks like fun.

3. Love the old wagons,looks like it's gonna be one of those one thing leads to another builds. :) HRP

4. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Nice job on the side mounts, the driver side can be a little tough with the offset around the gearbox. I had mine back far enough to run rear outlet on that side but didn't have to worry about master cylinder I moved it to the firewall.

5. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

both my slightly younger brother and i had safaris... 1956s.....a long time ago. shudda kept one (or both).

6. No Plan

No Plan

I modified the frame to accept a g-body (not a 605) steering box. The stock one was HUGE! The new one is 1/2 the size, hope it drives great. Removed old crappy heater too.

7. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Looking great!! I love the look of new/sand blasted metal!! I hope HRP is wrong but I'm betting he's right...... Get this thing done & move onto something thats fun ;) - Oh wait, its all fun because it's the "JOY OF BUILDING"

8. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

I'm not sure when he'll be on here again so I'll try to update ya,
    He ended up sandblasting the entire bottom of the car and of course found rust so he made new floors for it and has the drivers side in and done and now has cut out the passenger side and starting on it. I'll tell him to post up some updated pics :)

56PonchoWagon likes this.
  9. lowlinc

lowlinc

Hopefully its at BTTF this year.

10. John [No Plan] was on the HAMB a little after 7 this morning...maybe he'll update this progress thread.