Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Made it to Austin today, NOT Ready for LSRU, Update!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toast, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Disregard all the nice stuff, It gets ugly later!!!!!!!!

Decided to drive the untried 60 Olds to the Roundup this year. Was planning originally to drive the 55 Pontiac down but did some trading a month or two ago for a 37K orig Olds 2dr sedan seemed to run good so I set of on a very mild custom build with no time to do it! Lowered it changed out the orig wheels and the 70's tires that were pretty warn, Put a Mexican blanket over the front so to not do any more harm to the nice orig interior, Did brakes, belts and hoses. Didn't need exhaust but wanted duals and Bellflower tips. Had some striping done by Chaddilac. Got it done yesterday and had not driven it further than the exhaust shop before the wife and I headed to Austin today. The car had not been driven since it was put in storage in the early 70's.
    Well, I couldn't asked for a better running driving car, tight, plenty of power, smooth. The carb still has not been touched from new! The car is amazing!
    I hope everyone else has such a great uneventful trip!
    Started with this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Welcome to Austin at 6:00

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    jakespeed63, Jet96, Old-Soul and 3 others like this.
  2. Sweet Olds-Mo-Bubble. Really like the way it turned out. Have fun, be safe.:D

3. Car looks great! Glad you made it ok. Have a great weekend in Austin!

4. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice car. Have a great time.

5. Congratulations on your successful inaugural drive!!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Thanks guys, couldn't be happier with the car's first trip!

7. Congratulations,you now have that first long 450 mile stretch under your belt I know you are stoked,,the car turned out nice. HRP

8. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Right on! Much respect for driving an untested car to the show. Have a great time, and save travels home.

9. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome , pic of typical Austin crawl traffic. Though it would be too much to ask to say hey mom and pop keep your SUVs and such junk off south congress for just three nights though wouldn't it.

10. Hope ya can stay dry!

11. Nice transformation!

12. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Well, the Olds drove great all the 450 miles from Tulsa to Austin, then Thursday we drove to the BBQ in Taylor. I noticed on the way out there that it was starting to shift softer. It barely made it back to Austin! By the time I got back it had 1st and 2nd and that shift was sketchy. Stopped at a 7-11 to let it cool off and check fluid and it was low on fluid and what was there was not bright pink any more. I couldn't get on the HAMB very well so I called Chad "Chaddilac" and he got me the number of a guy here that had helped another friend a couple of LSRU's ago. I called him and he referred me to another guy that did old transmissions. luckily his shop was only 2 miles away. Got it there and he is tearing it apart as I type. He found A guy in Dallas that has parts and can overnight them when he gets the list. If all goes well he says he can get it done by Sunday night. So much for the round up.

Old-Soul likes this.
  13. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

That sucks. You have no idea how lucky you are that you found people who know that transmission and can gets parts quickly for it. Your car looks awesome, but I just assume every car I get has a bad transmission and needs to be rebuilt. I trust nothing.

14. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome to Austin at 6:00

[​IMG]

That's what traffic looked like every time I've been in Austin. Have fun at the show.

15. castirondude

castirondude

Good luck! Sounds like you're in good hands but if you end up being stuck you can give me a call 512-213-5234
    I live about 1hr from Austin

I drove my '59 Edsel after a complete re-power and the other day it stopped running without warning. turns out one of the fuel lines I bought was of bad quality and kept popping off. So you just don't know sometimes..

16. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

That sucks, but at least you're in Austin, your car is being fixed and you can still get to the show. I'd take that any day over being stuck 150 miles out of town with a bunch of shops telling you they don't work on anything that old. Enjoy the show (even without your car there), and have a safe trip home. This just makes the story of your trip a bit more interesting.

17. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

I saw this car headed south on 75! First thing that I spotted was the bellflowers! Hope you get your transmission troubles worked out, that's a cool car

18. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

U got balls! Nice car.

19. castirondude

castirondude

It's been a very rainy day, I guess a shop is a good place for the car at the moment.

20. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Its no fun if you don't drive them!

21. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Well, had to leave the Olds in Austin a few more days. The trans parts house in Dallas forgot to include one of the parts we needed. The trans guy says he should get it done Wed or Thurs this week. Had to drive the rental car home to Tulsa :(

22. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

well that sucks

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

"If it ain't one thing, it's another". Roseanne Roseannadanna". :(

24. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Well I did find one pic of the car from when we pulled into the BBQ Thursday. 35 miles later it barely had 2 forward gears! Thanks to RoyBoy at least I can prove I was there.

Attached Files:

jakespeed63 likes this.
  25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats on journey and repairs. not many would have taken the long journey in a ride with many unknowns

26. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Dang I saw it at the bbq, bummer things went south on you. It really is a beauty. Did you see the 60 Hardtop for sale out there ? Looked like an old mild custom, I sure would have liked to own it.

Attached Files:

27. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Thanks! Yes I saw 2 2dr HT's at the roundup for sale, there was a primer black one as well.

28. sorry to hear,,,,,was it Oxidine in Dallas for the parts ?......old Ox was mucho help on the old stuff....

29. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Jet-a-way nightmare, Trans guy has had it in the car running 3 times now and completely torn down each time. First time it worked fine but had a valve that was making a buzzing noise, got a different pump and valve and then it wouldn't hold pressure. It is going in the third time this afternoon and I am keeping my fingers crossed! Almost 2 weeks of rental car and 2 trips to Dallas for parts!!!!!!!