Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration it was just my car.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Apr 13, 2015.

1. rangers in 4

2. That's funny, kind of brings new meaning to the "Trailer Queen" tag line.

3. My modesty won't allow me to comment on the one - but I drive the shit out of my cars -

4. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

When I started reading this thread, I thought "my coupe just a car." The more I think about it, the more I wonder. See, it isn't pretty. It isn't fast. It sits outside year around. When I snow blow off my driveway, the snow piles on top of my car! Its a beater with a heater, but its pretty helpless in snow, so it gets parked every winter.
    I have a 93 Dakota 4x4. It replaced my 50 Dodge 4x4 when the 50 got wrecked. I drive the Dakota in the winter. The Dakota is just a truck. Its been a good truck for the last 4 years, but really, if anything major goes bad, it will become a parts truck, and a replacement will arrive. That is just a truck.
    See, that is where the difference lays. I am in the process of replacing the motor in the coupe. It won't be anything fast, or special, but I expect it to run much better the the old worn out motor. I would not have changed the motor in the Dakota, but I'm changing it in the coupe. It must be more then just a car.........
    Someone earlier said there is a fine line between a car being just a car, and a car being more then just a car. That line might be thinner then we expect. Gene

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  5. GoinGreen

GoinGreen

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429277440.317815.jpg

Just a car today! Commuter for work. : )

quick85 likes this.
  6. Zandoz

Zandoz

There is one lesson life in general, and the last 15 years intensly, has taught me. In terms of loss, damage, or destruction, unless it's intentional...it's ALL just stuff, vehicles included. All that really matters are health, family, and friends.

7. any more thoughts?

8. studebaker46

studebaker46

I would think in the timeframe your dad originally built that car with his brother it was just his car.he never thought that 20 some years you would be driving it to highschool or that fifty years later you would be restoring it. I wonder if he could of forseen the future would he have done anything different. the cool thing is the car is still in the same family . tom

volvobrynk and tb33anda3rd like this.
  9. Nemosgarage

Nemosgarage

I build all my cars to drive and enjoy. I do take care of it but not like a show car.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  10. At 68 years old I know my 32's will out live me!:rolleyes: I still worry when out on the road, but I worry when out on the road with my 2001 pickup. No one seems to be watching the road or care for that matter. :mad: Anyway they have some value and so does my life! (I Think) :p

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  11. Well at least one of us thinks his life has value. :p

With all the new and improved crap on the road if your car wasn't just your car and you had any common sense you would not drive it at all. I mean how safe can it be out there when besides a smart phone the new cars have Y Fi and larger displays so the driver can surf the web while he is not trying not to hit you. :rolleyes:

12. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

image.jpg
    These two Chevys belong to my friend Aaron at USKustoms in Alb. NM. One of them has been Rodders journal and many other publications ! He drives one or the other one everyday when there running lol, there never locked, they sit outside in the NM sun !
    That's how he thinks custom cars and hot rods should be treated ! Drive the Hell out of them and when they break down FIX them ! Even though he's my Daughters age he's my Hero when it comes to enjoying his custom cars !!!!

quick85 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  13. just a car?
    DSCF4288.JPG

quick85, volvobrynk and Król like this.
  14. My daily driver....1931 Dodge Brothers DH6 business coupe.... Picture 10454.jpg

quick85, volvobrynk and tb33anda3rd like this.
  15. If it was mine it would be. :D

I unfortunately seldom own more then one car so whatever I own gets driven. probably a good thing I don't own anything of value.

16. value is the problem, and the restrictions the insurance puts on it, at the high values. that's what daily beaters are for.
    i consider this my car........everything else i drive is just a beater.

17. DSCF4072.JPG my '39 gmc is an every day work truck. i haul lots of stuff year round.
    just a truck...........

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

My daily drivers are just cars since if anything would happen to them they could be replaced easily but my 37 Chevy p/u and 55 Ford convertible are not just cars,the 37 was just a less then 50 dollar beater my great uncle used on his farm but its priceless to me since I learned to drive in it without brakes on that farm and I think of him when I drive it. The 55 was my dads first and only new car and was just a car when he was offered 50 dollars for it on a trade for a station wagon in 68 so he stuck it in the garage after buying the wagon,to me its priceless since me and my two sisters were brought home after being born and I remember the family trips in it before the wagon. Too much money and time in both getting them back on the road after many years of sitting to be just a car.

tb33anda3rd and Fedman like this.
  19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

..if it was "just a car" people wouldn't laugh and point as they drove by.:confused: Copy of Scan1614.jpg

falcongeorge and tb33anda3rd like this.
  20. any more "just a car" stories?

21. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

My dad never owned a new car when I was a kid. Always 2nd hand. He had some really cool stuff. He had the 48 Chevy Stylemaster coupe which I own now. A 55 cameo pickup(yes he used to haul wood with it, and traded it for two 64 Chevy pickups a 2wd and 4wd) And his 58 impala. He bought the 58 in about 1976. That said, it was just a car. It was his daily driver. That car was driven all over the west coast. From San Diego to Portland, to Ogden, Reno and all places in between. To him it was His car, and the one I have some of the fondest memories of road trips in. It was the first car I drove over 100 mph in. Out of all the cars the cameo and 58 are probably the most desirable. The 48 however bit me with the car bug. In about 1972 or 1973 When I was 4 or 5 my dad put me in the front seat to steer while my uncles pushed it. Since then I have had the sickness. When my dad passed, my wife told me that I didn't need to bring that old tore apart clunker home. It almost was a deal breaker with our marriage. Everyone thought the only reason I wanted the car was to have a piece of my dad. Yes I would love to have him back and the sentimental journeys I have owning this car is great. But I fell in love with that car all those years ago. and its not just a car

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  22. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

Mine are all just cars. They're cars I love, but they were built to drive, and they are good at it, and so I drive them. When the baby boomers start to die, and prices finally begin to fall, I plan to start buying more cool cars. When I buy that car you've been parking in the garage, afraid to scratch, I'm gonna drive it so much that I wear out a set of tires every year. Thanks for keeping it so nice for me!

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  23. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If I was ever told by a wife or girlfriend that the 55 or 37 would have to go they would be packing their bags right after the demand,I have others that can be sold but those two vehicles will be with me until the day I die and if they can not understand then they can go.

57 Fargo likes this.
  24. wicarnut

wicarnut

Thinking all my car's/vehicles are just a car, But I do take better care of my Hobby cars. Everything/anything I have ever owned, I take pride in it, its just me, maybe the way I was brought up, not to the point of OCD like some people I know. All of us Car Crazy's have a passion for our hobby, most people I know, take good care of all things they own, just carries though on all parts of one's life IMO. Thinking back when I was a young man, my daily driver was my only car, combo of hot rod, cruiser, grocery getter, wife/baby hauler, tow vehicle, never had 2 cars until about 24/5 years old, All Good Memories !

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  25. I have had this car 18 years of my 43, almost half my life. It was never a daily car. I bought it out of undergrad and had fun with it driving through Washington DC on weekends and at night to go to the bars and clubs for a few years. It then spent the 3 years of my graduate education parked in my parents driveway in Upstate NY. It then lived outside in MD for 5 years and was my weekend toy. It has been apart the last 6 since moving South 7 years ago while life and family have taken their due place. At least now I own a house with a garage. Despite it having spent almost as much time down as in use for me it is anything but a just a car. It is getting close to being back together, won't be fully painted just updated, safe and fully functional as my world has changed in the past 18 years and the car needs to keep pace. My daughter who is now 7 has never ridden in it, my son who is 10 just barely remembers going for rides. Shooting for this Spring; it's about time to make some new memories.

IMG_8753.JPG .

IMG_7548.JPG

Chavezk21 and quick85 like this.
  26. I guess all of mine have been "just my car" as I've never been a spit and polish kind of guy and have been told more than once- you should have washed it before taking that picture- mostly vacuum the interior once a year unless a major spill happens- I do eat and drink in my cars- drive them all I can as well-

27. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

My avatar was "just my truck" daily driver for 6 years in the '90s, first with the 292 Y-block and three speed, later with the 429 and four speed. Hauled crap to the junk yard, hauled ass when I put the 429 and 4 speed in it, drove it coast to coast twice. When I had to deal with a serious family matter, it was the only thing I had of value so I had to sell it. It was "just my truck", but probably the vehicle I miss the most.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  28. Depends on who you talk to. To my wife it's just a car. To my grandson it's Pepere's hot rod. To my 84 year old Dad it's a ride he always enjoys. To me after all the work to get it where it is today, it puts a smile on my face every time I get to take it for a ride. But it's really a 33 Chevy. DSC04702c.jpg