Register now to get rid of these ads!

“Tech:” How to Create a Beautiful and Convincing 1950s Engine Compartment

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bigcheese327, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Fixed this thread.

Bigcheese327 likes this.
  2. Thanks its a cool thread unless you can't see the pics. And no drama it just don't get much better then that. ;)

3. von Dyck

von Dyck

A couple of comments: Most have shown what they've done to the engine but have neglected the engine bay. Chubby Corvette master cylinders with or without diaphragm power boosters just don't cut it! Nor do the cross flow radiators and clutch fans.
    There must be a way to conceal a spin-on oil filter inside of a canister .
    1958 side mount Chevrolets were in the 50s. They're OK with me.
    Just sayin.

4. classic gary

classic gary

i gotta know, is a cable throttle "period". Dragsters used 'em, motorcycles used 'em, heavy equipment used 'em, even boats. So my question is, if a cable throttle is made from, or at least to look like it was made from, old cable fittings and outer housing, is that period ok?

5. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Classic Gary, I think that's mainly up to you. Mine has a cable and it bothers me enough to want to change it.

6. classic gary

classic gary

It seems MOPARs have been using them since the early 60's. So I'm gonna quit worryin' about it and use old/vintage fittings. NOT Lokar billet stuff. My car is no place for billet.

7. classic gary

classic gary

Isn't there a brand of oil filter out there, that has a "nut" as a part of the filter housing, on the bottom, for removal, could not that be drilled ( carefully ) and tapped and then a long canister filter housing slid over and held in place with a screw/bolt. I'm not gonna do it, I've got nothing but "canister blocks" but, it's just s thought.........

8. You can get chrome slip-on covers for spin-on filters, a little creative welding/fabbing could give you a faux cover...

9. Does anyone have ideas on the 215 or early 223 Ford inline 6

10. classic gary

classic gary

CHROME

11. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

LONG and hotrod54chevy like this.
  12. daliant

daliant

Here's my contribution to this now 10 year old thread, a late 70's 318 in a 46 Plymouth, if I had a working 12v generator I'd ditch the alternator in a heartbeat, the electronic ignition box looks a little out of place but it works and someday I'll probably smooth out the valve covers and run a push on style breather in them and drill the pcv valve into the back of the manifold to hide it but I tried to keep everything as neat as possible. The air cleaner is probably the most important part of making a more modern engine look like it belongs in an older car because it's the first thing you see when you look under the hood, mine is a mid 50's chrysler oil bath that been gutted and has a paper element hiding inside. I'm a firm believer of less-is-more when it comes to hot rods.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    Bigcheese327 and hotrod54chevy like this.
  13. not a perfect replication but close DSCF4201.JPG DSCF4205.JPG

14. Where did ya run the PCV? And no vac. advance?

15. George

George

K&N, painted block color it might pass as a canister, un-noticed, by the casual observer.

16. i need to get a breather cap for the fill tube.:cool:
    distributor is not traditional.:eek:

17. ... a lot of nice engines here.

18. Let's see some more 327's done right.

19. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I don't think it gets much better than a 340 hp '62 Corvette mill:

[​IMG]

20. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

21. Glad i found this thread by accident. I have a 302 with the Motorcraft 2150 2v in a F150 that i need to fabricate an air cleaner for to clear the HEI distributor that i installed. The OEM air cleaner is too large and the cheap Edelbrock that came with the truck still hits a wire boot (besides, i want it gone). I want to use the heat stove for the choke so i will have to add the snorkel to whatever housing i use. Or, does anyone know of a spacer i could use to raise the air cleaner up? I like the gutted Ford oil baths but they may be a bit too tall, although i do have "some" clearance. Thoughts appreciated.

22. DLTJR

DLTJR

Just picked up a 46 p15. 318 looks nice in there... id like to put a newer hemi, maybe 5.7 in mine

23. Indianrider

Indianrider

I have have a good (and inexpensive) source for cotton covered wire and asphalt loom ? Seeing modern wire on a old motor really ruins it for me.