Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects PRIMER!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gdub, Apr 16, 2015.

1. gdub

gdub

[​IMG]
    After 5 years of work I'm finally to the final bodywork stage. I took a community ed. body-shop course this spring and have done a ton of patchwork, welding and rust removal on my panel. Last night I finally got to get it into epoxy primer. Only have 3 weeks of class left(6 more sessions) to get it in paint. My son is going to help me in the evenings and we'll see if we can get all the body work done.

2. Congrats..I don't envy you painting that huge expanse of metal. What kind of finish are you going to do to it? That would be difficult to paint something like metallic or candy that needs to be painted all at once.

3. gdub

gdub

I'm thinking copper on the color. The good thing is the instructor will let me come in during his regular day classes to work if need be, and get help from him and his students, so getting it done in one session shouldn't be a problem.

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - going to have a tall ladder on wheels for someone to move you around as you paint roof, etc?

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Good for you.. Has to be rewarding doing it yourself...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Looking at your avatar you have made a lot of progress,looking forward to seeing the panel in paint. HRP

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Looking great! Amazing how getting primer on something makes such a huge difference after all the work that is harder to see progress on.

8. That is one big mutha - you have come a long way - nice work!

9. gdub

gdub

[​IMG]
    just as reference, this is how it looked when I got it home.. Mods have included 302-c4, Volare front end, tilt column, 9" rear. It's been along haul but worth every minute.

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. Cool hope you git er done. :cool:

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. Looking great!

12. panel heck yes, very nice... that's a lot of block sanding

13. Wow that a lot of surface area to cover, nice work so far. About how much topcoat to you expect to use?

14. nice truck, when i paint vans or large cars, i paint the roof first, then tape it off and paint the rest of it. that allows you to "lean" against the sides to paint.

15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

The amount of paint need scares me as much as buying it for my 46 Olds sedanette. Well worth the investment doing that course, a lot more satisfaction in now saying I did it!

16. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Huge!!! My painter told me a gallon to paint my 32 sedan, So Ill bet at least 2 gallons for this monster.