Register now to get rid of these ads!

Functional lake pipes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jc.dempsey, Jan 15, 2015.

1. The G00SE

The G00SE

I ran lakes on my 50 (dont have any more)with a sbc as my only exhaust. Sounded bad ass! mellow rumble when you are just putting and medium throttle, really loud when you mash it! My friend told me of a old biker trick of shoving chicken wire in the end as a baffle. I ran that for a while, tapped a bolt into the lakes from the back side to keep it from blowing out. Still sounded good but took some of the sting out of the sound when you were on it. If I did it over it would have been nice to have full exhaust with the lake plumbed in ( best of both worlds) on those long road trips the lakes did get a little obnoxious. 9-4-12-3.jpg

2. jc.dempsey

jc.dempsey

I'm going to mount these lake pipes soon and then see what I can do about exhaust.

3. missysdad1

missysdad1

Just keep in mind that it'll only take one speed bump to ruin your whole plan. Been there, done that back in "the day"...

4. jc.dempsey

jc.dempsey

I guess I'll have to be extra careful. I'm still going to give it a shot.

5. I'll be following along. I plan on putting functional lakes on my 52 coronet in a few weeks. My only concern is that I probably wont be able to get Lift arms under it once they are on & will have to space the car up on wood if I'm going to be putting it on a 2 post lift

6. williebill

williebill

Wicked looking 4 door. got any more pics?

7. Squablow

Squablow

Not to hijack, but I'd be very interested to know if anyone else has done this, or has any other good ideas on how to make a real simple baffle for a lake pipe style exhaust. If chicken wire really works, how much do you need, and how should it be arranged in the pipe? Crumpled up into a wad, or twisted, or?

Info on this would be super helpful.

8. jc.dempsey

jc.dempsey

I'll keep you updated. It should be happening pretty soon.

9. The G00SE

The G00SE

Thanks williebill.
    as far as amount I dont remember how much I use . Ended up with a chicken wire banana shoved it in the outlet end . . Its was still pretty loud but the chicken wire did mellow it out a little.
    Another mercury pic DSCN3335.jpeg

Squablow likes this.
  10. jc.dempsey

jc.dempsey

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429706907.084329.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429706917.352979.jpg

Making progress.

11. How much space do you have between the rocker & the ground? And lake pipe to the ground? Just curious how your car compares to mine. Looks good so far

jc.dempsey likes this.
  12. jc.dempsey

jc.dempsey

The pipe is probably 4 or 5 inches off the ground. All I know is it's higher off the ground than I have suspension travel. I just have to be careful around curbs and speed bumps. I'll find out what I actually have for space later.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  13. jc.dempsey

jc.dempsey

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429832588.246451.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429832599.350415.jpg

They're in. Next is actual exhaust.

kiwijeff, HotRodRyan and Squablow like this.
  14. Looks killer!

jc.dempsey likes this.
  15. jc.dempsey

jc.dempsey

I swear I'll post a video when I get a chance.

16. How about that video?

17. Some guys run mufflers? :D

Most people who run mufflers on side piped run the muffler like they normally would but as close to the engine as possible then the tail pipe makes a u turn and runs back to the side pipe. Here is a thought, your lakes pipes have caps on them which finishes the look for me. Just run them as dumps off of your completed exhaust and when you want to be "cool" uncap them.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  18. jc.dempsey

jc.dempsey

Sorry I've been inactive for a while, but I ended up going with dual exhaust and glass packs out the back, and a Y pipe to the lake pipes. It sounds f$@&in good with the caps off.

kiwijeff likes this.
  19. I finally got my car back from the exhaust shop. Much louder than I had imagined, I gotta quiet this down a little. Anybody have experience with baffles? Its a 230ci mopar flathead 6 with tube header, 1.75" exhaust to the front fender area and then its 2" all the way back. I had them do the lake pipe extensions to the back bumper for 2 reasons.

1) I think it looks cool (especially once I get skirts on it)
    2) they would be an easy place to add baffles in case it ended up being too loud.

Here's some vids my wife took on our ride home over the weekend.

jc.dempsey likes this.
  20. jc.dempsey

jc.dempsey

I have no experience but I'm sure someone else does. That's a sweet car.

HotRodRyan likes this.
  21. I got a pair of Krome Werks baffles on order from my local motorcycle shop, should have them tomorrow

22. jc.dempsey

jc.dempsey

Best of luck. I'd like to see how it comes out.

23. Squablow

Squablow

I made baffles with rolled chicken wire for my '55 Packard, quieted it down some.

24. Well they made almost no difference, back to the drawing board I guess