Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects what happened at the titusville auction?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rusty valley, Apr 11, 2015.

1. rusty valley

rusty valley

some one please give us some tales of sales

2. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

3. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

bump! anyone on here score one of them cars?? they all sold so cheap!

4. I'm very surprised at some of those prices!!! The two '32 roadster went cheap. Hard to believe.

5. They will be all over EBay in less than 2 weeks @ 2/3 times the price 4 sure. Wished it had been closer as I would have owned a few of those.

6. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

7. Carter

Carter

I was there, went there with intentions to buy a car and was prepared to do so. I decided not to. Got some good parts though, some at very good prices.
    I think a lot of the cars, in person, were a bit rougher than what some may think. Thats not a jab at the VanDerBrink team , the Koepke s or anyone else, in fact I really enjoyed the auction, and thought everyone involved did a great job with the sale from my perspective. I'm glad I got to go, and got to meet some great people and buy some good parts and hang out with my dad for the weekend.

I only thoroughly looked over three cars, and that was the two 32 roadsters and the 35 cabriolet. The good 32 roadster needed a lot. There were patch panels and a fair amount of bondo, the rear floor and subrails were gone, and I'm fairly certain the rockers were sculpted entirely from filler. I thought it over Friday and in my mind I put a number of $13-16K on the car. And I also decided I didn't want to own it at that price. Keep in mind that it was sitting on a 35-40 frame, not a 32 frame. And yes, it had a title, but titles are just paper if there are no numbers on the frame that match it. I know many don't feel that way, and that's fine, but none of my stuff will ever be impounded if a VIN inspection needed to happen.

The rough roadster was extremely rough, and the extra frame that came with it had been hit in the right rail about midway back that had it tweaked hard. The cowl was really really thin and rusty. I do wish I had bid it a bit more, just for parts. The doors and dash were certainly savable, the hinges were good, as were the lower stanchions and the K member. The quarters were really bad. Not saying they couldn't be or won't be saved, but they were very rough.

I think the 35 cabriolet was the best car there by far. Extremely solid and straight complete car. I would have loved to have bought it, but it would have been a stretch financially for me, and for a car that I never really considered owning, but it was just that nice.

Also don't forget to add the 5% buyers premium for cash /check or 9% for card, plus it was another I think 8% for online, which some of the cars did sell online.

That's my thoughts on a few things. You're mileage may vary, results not typical, blah blah blah....

I did think some of the Nomads went a bit cheap, but my knowledge of tri-five stuff is very limited.

stillrunners likes this.
  8. uncle buck

uncle buck

The high seller I think was a Pantera. Vanderbrink had heavily promoted this car as being a 3,800 mile car and in their own file that they had for the car showed it had over 32,000 in 1977. I saw a photo on another web site of the bill of sale. As always , it's buyer beware.

stillrunners likes this.
  9. thequietwon

thequietwon

I wish I had went. Prices seem very reasonable to me. I was looking for ways to get there when I heard about it, but with the heavy promotion I was sure that everything would go for crazy money. I was wrong...
    Sam

10. pumpman

pumpman

I got a couple of parts (on line) and was a little surprised what I got them for. They contacted me yesterday and have been great to deal with so far. What really surprised me was what the distributors went for. I thought it was crazy money.

stillrunners likes this.
  11. rusty valley

rusty valley

the guy had stacks of 32 frames, what did they sell for

12. Carter

Carter

There were no stacks of 32 frames. There was one welded under the 3W, a partial welded under the rough roadster, a complete under the rough roadster, two pair of new rails that were with the 3W and the better roadster, and one separate frame that was boxed and smoothed out, k member cut up, painted purple. I didn't even see what it sold for.

13. banjorear

banjorear

Does anyone know what happened to all of those flathead cams that were in the pre-auction info? I really wanted a few of them.

14. Carter

Carter

Saw three regrind V8 cams, they got lumped into a larger lot with other flathead V8 parts. Can't remember what the lot went for.

15. banjorear

banjorear

Maybe it was a different auction. There was an auction that had about 20-30 different cams. Some real good ones like 404A's, 425 Eliminators, etc.

16. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

makes me kick myself for not buying a pantera i found a few years ago for 24k o_O

17. Carter

Carter

There were a large number of flathead cams at the Broyles auction in Ohio a while back. Maybe that was it?

18. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I think the Pantera 48k and the Ferrari47k The Porsche I think went for 43k the description on this 34 body was "some rust along bottom" image.jpg

19. banjorear

banjorear

Could be.

20. wvenfield

wvenfield

$1200 for the 56 Nomad looks to be a great buy rougher than appears or not.

21. Mart

Mart

There are some pics over on fordbarn.