Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Need Advice on Water pump and Fan Blade

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swaluda, Apr 15, 2015.

1. swaluda

swaluda
    from pa.

I have 8 inches between water pump boss and radiator on a high performance SBC. I need advise on how to use 7 inches of it on a water pump and fan, leaving an inch gap between the end of the fan blade and radiator. Do I need a fan Clutch, or could I leave it with just the blade and no fan clutch, Or am I screwed and need an electric pump, I don't know, and that's why I need advise guys, thanks, Stan

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

what are you working on? post some pics

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'd move the core support or make a fan shroud. Electric water pumps are for lazy people.

4. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Model T1 likes this.

5. Shroud. Done.

G-son likes this.
  6. rfraze

rfraze

What they are trying to tell you is that you probably need a shroud as much as you need a pump and fan. Take up any space with the shroud. Leave some of the fan blade outside the shroud (toward engine) for best results.

G-son likes this.
  7. 270ci

270ci

FWIW, I just returned that same fan to Summit because the blades actually stick out well in front of the pump mounting flange by 1 3/4", and only 1/2" behind it, while most OEM fans I'm familiar with, the blades are curved behind. Summit doesn't give any front/rear clearance info and their picture is misleading, as you can't really see that the blade tips also have 3/4" curl towards the radiator.

8. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Using that fan he'll be 5/8" from the radiator (2-3/8" minus 1-3/4" leaves 5/8").