Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Vent window handle shaft removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jason Taylor, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Jason Taylor

Jason Taylor

How do you remove the vent window handle shaft on a 1950 chevy 2 door sedan ?

2. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

3. Jason Taylor

Jason Taylor

I took out the roll pin that held the actual handle on . I need to remove the shaft that the handle moves on its ridgid mounted . Just trying to disassemble to re chrome everything

4. Jason Taylor

Jason Taylor

The link you sent doesn't take me anywhere . Sorry I tried to use it .

5. The link he posted is for door handle removal. I don't think the vent window shaft is removable.

6. Na on the 50 the vent handle is still on the vent itself. (at least my 51 Fleetline special is that way)

7. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Sorry 'bout that. I read incorrectly that you wanted to remove the shaft.
    My Bad :(

8. Jason Taylor

Jason Taylor

YA the shaft is on the frame handle is off its not molded or anything so I think it has to come off to be able to chrome the piece its attached to that is removable from the frame it is the same as a 51 ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428930650.123373.jpg there is another piece it is attached to that is riveted in so I want to take it off to chrome that piece and the rest of the parts that come off .

9. 24riverview

24riverview

Not exactly sure what you are asking, if you mean the shaft the latch handle goes on it's part of the frame. Vent.jpg

10. Jason Taylor

Jason Taylor

Yes how to you get the shaft off the piece that attaches to the frame

11. Jason Taylor

Jason Taylor

I actually have them apart and are taking out the rivets that hold everything together once I do the shaft that has the handle attached to it I would think has to come off so that piece can get chromed and I think it's a big rivet but not sure ?

12. alittle1

alittle1

Doesn't the glass have to come out first and then you can get at the back of the spring-loaded opening pin to undo the countersunk screw behind the rubber weatherstrip. The screw mounts into the back of the base plate. Fords have the drive type roll pin!

13. 54vicky

54vicky

is that frame(part glass is in)not stainless steel.if so why try to chrome?

14. Jason Taylor

Jason Taylor

No it's not stainless and I have the glass out now it doesn't have a screw in the shaft it's just a picture I took for reference I know how to take it all apart just not sure how to get the handle shaft off its chrome not stainless and rust is coming through it

15. 54vicky

54vicky

that explains that in this case a pic not worth a you know the rest

16. 24riverview

24riverview

Just assembled these on 49 Olds I'm working on, they were replated without removing the latch pin and came out just fine.

Jason Taylor likes this.
  17. Jason Taylor

Jason Taylor

Thanks that's what I was wondering wasn't sure if that would work