Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Saggy trunk hinge on my '62 Impala... Any help out there?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by newstranger, Apr 13, 2015.

1. newstranger

newstranger

Hey all, it's been ages since I've been on the HAMB, but I can't seem to find any info anywhere else!

My passenger side trunk hinge completely shit the bed a few days ago (it had always been kind of stiff and problematic) and now it's toast. I removed the decklid, pulled the hinge pin out, and yanked out the hinge.

Here's my question: Like saggy door hinges, can a new hinge pin solve this problem? I can't see why I would need to replace the whole hinge assembly (it looks to be fine). If a new pin is needed, WHERE THE HELL DO THEY SELL THEM??? I've scoured the internet and all I can find is hinge pins specifically for doors, not trunks!! Are door pins the same as trunk pins? I've been told by one person that they are not.

Any help here would be amazing! Anybody run into this oddball problem before??

THANKS!!!

-ns

2. newstranger

newstranger

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Could I suggest removing the 'good' pin and having 2 x new pins turned up or replacing with a HT bolt with a long shank so the thread doesn't wear the hinges out any further.

4. newstranger

newstranger

Thanks mgtstumpy! I'm shocked at how hard it is to find a damn pin! My buddy is a good machinist, I might do what you say and have him copy the "good" pin.