Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My first project taking up the garage 52 ford mainline

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by cdoh, Apr 11, 2015.

1. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

Was just at my parents place practicing my flux core welding tonight and thought of posting this up. A little sneak of my pops 58 buick. One the ultimate cruising luxury cars. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428973678.669126.jpg

Attached Files:

Model T1 and hendelec like this.
  2. Squablow

Squablow

Looks good so far.

3. Awesome man! Keep it up. I've got a build thread going of my 53! I'm a little older than you, but still same generation. Let's keep this going with guys our age.

cdoh likes this.
  4. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have a nice looking Ford and you're doing a good job going through it. :cool:
    JFYI, the stamped 1/2 bell you're using came on '49-'50 and a few carry-over '51 Mercurys. The '52 and '53 Fords and Mercs used the same cast iron full size bell. Also, your oil pan looks like a '49-'51 Ford which also has a center sump, but without stamped ribs on the sides. If your pan is too close to steering or the crossmember, that's the reason.
    One other item that does need correcting is the dual into single master cylinder plumbing! :confused:....:)

cdoh likes this.
  5. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

thanks for all the info. im still getting to know this car and will take any advice i can get.
    The oil pan is pretty tight again the steering but i can still remove the drain plug so it isnt too much of a problem right now.
    You seem like you know you stuff. can you tell me what years ran the 8BA and what years have the 59BA?

6. vwdave30

vwdave30

49-53 has the 8BA

7. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I also noticed you have the dreaded 52-54 hood hinges bent to F*** diease, as I also have a set of them. Replacements, at least in my area, are hard to come by. So be careful with them.

8. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

I found one set on eBay for 500 in good shape. And yes. They are garbage. And I'm not looking forward to scraping away the seam sealer around the air boxes

Model T1 likes this.
  9. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

10. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 59A was used on '46'-'48 Fords and Mercs. The next and last evolution first came out in '48 for the new F series trucks, then '49-'53 for cars. The 8BA designation was used from '49-'51 on Fords and EAB was on '52-'53s. Trucks used 8RT and 8BA, while '49-'51 Mercs used 8CM and '52-'53s used EAC.
    The blocks are all basically the same and all parts interchange. Main differences are intakes, carbs, water pumps, front covers, oil pans, bell housings, clutches, crank shafts, pulleys and pistons.
    You might want to invest in some of the many flathead books available to learn more about them, especially if you intend to run one. :)

Model T1, i.rant and vwdave30 like this.
  11. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

Well THAT was some good information. I don't plan on really getting into the motor. I just wanna drive it

12. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

cool car man. Out here there is huge shift of the younger guys getting into old cars.

13. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

Sweet dude. There hotrod/kustom scene isn't that big where I am. And I hoping that once me and my buddy start cruising bad ass classics people will move from the drift/stance fad to real cars that take style and creativity to make. Now I'm not saying that the big time drifters don't put a lot of engineering into their cars, because they do. They are race cars. But I'm taking about all the "kids" that slam theirs cars to the ground with lots of stickers and call it "modded" or "cool". We need the classic styling of yesteryear back.

Maybe I'm just hating.

Model T1 and MyCrustyVW like this.
  14. JohnnyGretsch

JohnnyGretsch

I'm trying to do the same thing in my scene. Most guys I know are all about the imports, or new domestics. Try to talk to them about customising and all I get is "throw a 2JZ in it!" or "put a fully sick sound system in". I don't really care how fast the car goes, or how great the stereo is. I just want to drive a unique car that looks cool and sounds great.

Looks like you have a great start man, keep up the solid work!

i.rant likes this.
  15. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

I wanna know how to view people profiles from a thread using the app. I don't think I can.

It's a struggle out here. Haha

16. JohnnyGretsch

JohnnyGretsch

Should be three little boxes at the top of the right hand side of the screen. Tap the post from the profile you want to look at, then tap the boxes. A list should pop up, tap view authors profile.

cdoh likes this.
  17. This is my favorite thing to do with a project. Just cleaning it up and making everything work like it should or better. Keep it up.

cdoh likes this.
  18. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

BINGO!!! especially the interior. original and not modded.

19. Love that Ford! Really like the POR 15 in the engine bay idea....I might do the same....

20. Slopok

Slopok

Oh yeah it is, just gotta know where to go.

21. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

I posted a thread about this and it got deleted. Which was fine. I got all the show and cruise night dates I needed. It's gonna be an awesome year

22. Slopok

Slopok

Be sure to go to Voo Doo Larry's Open House usually the beginning of August. You'll meet all ages of guys there.

23. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

Cool. I've know about him. But I've never been to his shop

24. shadams

shadams

Yea thats a cool car.....really like that flat head. I have a 2 carb edmunds flathead intake hanging on my wall in the garage that would look bad ass on there, but its too far gone, corroded in all the right spots...

25. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

Thanks.

I would love to switch to a 2 carb intake so I can keep the original location of the generator. Most people might disagree but I like it there. On day I'll get some. But that is pretty far down on the list lol.

26. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

Ok. So this is all that I've gotten done this weekend because I had to go into work on Saturday.

The trans mount is pretty much done. Just needs paint. And I started working on mounting the clutch slave to the trans. The stock GM fork wasn't at the right angle so I pie cut and bent it. Then filled the rest of the gap with weld and ground smooth. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429492183.095430.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429492198.772541.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429492211.340759.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429492222.409013.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429492235.439899.jpg

Model T1 likes this.
  27. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

Aside from some paint the new clutch master is mounted with the bracket I made. The master is from a 90s Bronco. And was almost at the perfect angle To match how to stock clutch linkage came out of the firewall.

Hopefully next weekend the trans can go back in for the las time.

If anyone has some ideas on how to make the bracket look more legit. Let me know. It's looking a little raw right now

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430099015.574496.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430099031.212503.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430099050.090889.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430099062.360595.jpg

Model T1 likes this.
  28. porky55

porky55

Right on. Great start

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. good start and congrats on being 23 and interested in Henrys Bent Eight. We need more of your generation headed that way before all of us ol farts visit Henry ourselves.

Model T1 likes this.