Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '50 Chevy Car front measurements help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowlinc, Apr 10, 2015.

1. lowlinc

lowlinc

Long story Short. 2 owners prior to me clipped my car with a Camaro Just forward of the firewall mounts. I'm cutting it off and welding in new 2x3 but If I could find these measurements it would save alot of time and help a ton.
    Looking for these measurements

Firewall Mount Width side to side.
    Front frame width side to side
    Length from Firewall Mount hole to front mount hole
    Length front Firewall Mount hole to Axle center line

Hoping someone has a factory frame kicking around that could measure these up for me.
    [​IMG]

2. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I've got a 50 Styleline, I'll try to get some measurements for you later tonight or tomorrow.

3. lowlinc

lowlinc

That would be great! Thank you!

4. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Here is a diagram of the measurements I took on mine. I got them as close as I could. 1428785626849.jpg

5. lowlinc

lowlinc

Thats Awesome! Center of hole to center I take it? That helps alot!

6. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Actually, the width measurements are from the outside edge to outside edge of the frame rail. I wasn't sure if you still had any of the original holes left. I hope it helps

7. What front suspension are you planning to install?

8. lowlinc

lowlinc

Pat, I've got the WelderSeries M2 front that i'll be bagging. Was going to build new rails off existing factory frame right after the firewall body mounts. Since that's where the Shoddy Camaro front is clipped in

I only have the factory Firewall body mount holes. So is the Length(29inches ) from the firewall or firewall body mount hole to front of frame? Either Works

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Perhaps you are aware, but just didn't mention it.....but I think you'll want to take into consideration the "side view" frame rail height/profile as well. As I recall, the frame rails rise just ahead of the firewall and then level out where the front suspension crossmember bolted on.

The ride height, core support and bumper attach points are all affected by the relative height of the front frame rails.

Ray

10. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

The 29 inches is from the firewall to the front of the frame.

11. lowlinc

lowlinc

Can you get me the length from the mount hole itself to the front of the frame?

and to the Center of the axle.

12. lowlinc

lowlinc

Yeah but from the firewall body mount forward its pretty well even in height from the pics I can tell. core support is just below rails. *not my pic, Stolen from google**
    [​IMG]

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

What would be ideal for your purposes would be a frame dimension drawings from a GM workshop manual or one of the frame repair manuals, such as Mitchell or Bear. They provide a 'water line' (datum line) from which all other verticle dimensions are referenced. I don't have such a drawing for the Chevy frame, but it should be available without too searching.

Ray

14. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

As Ray has mentioned, you NEED the correct frame specs, including the datum line reference for the existing portion of your frame. To build without exact numbers (a guy going out to his garage with a tape measure, isn't going to hack it), is a slippery slope at best.
    Here is a guy on the "bay" who will sell the info you need for $7.00. http://www.ebay.com/itm/49-50-51-52...ign-/220545144735?hash=item335983d79f&vxp=mtr

[​IMG]

15. lowlinc

lowlinc

I was just Looking at that. Thanks!

figured If I had the measurements from someone on here it would be alright, All I really need is the length and front width and make sure its squared. But I'll see if my bodyguy can get those sheets.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  16. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

The length measurements should be pretty accurate (I still have the inner fender wells and firewall attached). The width measurements were the only ones not made from the center lines.

17. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

You can't just weld stubs to the existing frame without consideration for height (datum line). If the front of the frame rail is too high, the fender won't line up correctly (wide gap at bottom of door). Too low, you got a wide gap at the top of the door. Things can be shimmed around a bit, but, you need to first be in the ball park.

Hnstray likes this.
  18. lowlinc

lowlinc

The only thing that mounts to the Section Im replacing is the Front Subframe and the Front Rad cradle. The Fenders only Mount to the Cradle and that's easy to adjust height. Theres 2 bolts for the Inner fenders that mount on the rails but I'll be tubbing it anyways.

19. tubbing... the front wheels?

20. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

We tried ........it's your car......do it your way......:confused:

Ray

Stu D Baker likes this.
  21. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

22. lowlinc

lowlinc

Im not trying argue. I'll get the frame spec sheet from a friend at the bodyshop and do it to spec. But I think You guys are getting confused with where I want to Cut in. You can see the red line is where its Currently Clipped in. On the Factory Frame/Clip the height from that point Forward is Flat to the front on the top. Only the bottom is Contoured. Only mount point that would be effected would be the Rad cradle. Inner Fenders are the only thing that mount to the rails but they need fixing/Replacing anyways so thats not big a concern.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  23. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

May the frame gods look down upon you and bless you. Best of luck.

Hnstray likes this.
  24. lowlinc

lowlinc

I don't see what the big deal is if it's done to factory Specs I just posted that to show where the Cars currently Clipped.

I'd like to start with a fresh Stock frame and just M2 that but there aren't any available remotely close to where I live so that's a no go.

25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

"To factory specs" is all we have advocated....that will be good! However, your prior posts seemed a bit....ahhhhhh......"casual" about the importance/desirability of duplicating "factory specs". If we were mistaken......well...sorry....just an impression we got.

Carry on and best wishes. :)

Ray

26. lowlinc

lowlinc

That's why I had asked for Measurements in the first place haha. The only thing that will be different is that its 2x3 for rails. But to spec.