Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods external trunk hinges,how did you mount them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model A hooligan, Apr 12, 2015.

1. So I got some 49 shoe box things for my 29 A trunk.how did you guys mount them?

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I haven't done a Model A, but I can offer some suggestions. You'll likely want some reinforcement plates on the underside of the sheet metal where the screws go through the body to the hinge straps. Also, most of the external hinges are mounted on a curved surface in their original appications. Consequently, the base of the hinges are angled to keep the hinge pins aligned. Your Model A deck may be closer to level across that area and you need tapered shims between the body surface and hinge leg to level the pins. Otherwise, the hinges will bind and stress the hinge and sheet metal.

Ray

3. Drive'em

Drive'em

I have 41-48 Chevy trunk hinges on my roadster. Hnstray got it right.

4. Just did my 30. I got some shoebox trunk hinges. No way could I make them work. They are a compound curve.
    Ended up getting some from a Morris minor.

5. COOP

COOP

6. COOP

COOP

Whoops.......... sorry 'bout that. Anyway, I wuz gonna say that I was at a swap meet looking for an external set of hinges for my '29 roadster. I found one for 2 bucks, but it was only one. A few minutes later I found another just like it for 3. Bought it and ran back and got the other. Perfect, right? When I got 'em home someone told me they were off an old Chevy. I bolted them right on and they worked great. Thing was, I didn't realize they were both either right or left. The way they mounted they both drifted off to the right when I lifted the deck lid. They worked perfect and nobody has noticed the fact that they're not a matched set. If it was a set it would have bound up big time on lift unless shims were installed. Guess I lucked out.

7. Chopped51,why did they not work?? I'm pretty sire I've seen them on an A before

Coop,sounds like you have something wrong if you need it to swing to the side to open without binding

8. Oops and I also ment I have 50 shoebox hinges, not 49

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Read my first post, #2, for an explanation of the angles involved. You will have the same issues with '50 hinges as you will with '49, they differ only in appearance, not function, and both mount to the same arched surface.

Set your hinges on a flat table and take note of the hinge pin angle. They will not be parallel to the table surface and not in direct alignment with each other. Therefore, when mounted in that position they cannot function (pivot) as intended. Unless you correct that misalignment with shims between the hinge and body surface. Or, as an extreme measure, rework the body and deck lid mounting point to align the hinge pins.

Ray

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  10. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

[​IMG]

Had to be angled to work...

11. Yeah I get ya.

I just picked up some other hinges that I can grind flat but otherwise they should work.I got them at a mg restorer.I think they are Austin hinges