Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. allwilly

allwilly

If u tweak the shock mounts in double shear u better rethink your suspension. ...shouldn't b an issue

2. allwilly

allwilly

That thing b running by the 17th? Me wants a ride!

3. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Hey Tony, where's the oil fill on the engine?
    If those breathers are under the intake's plumbing, and there's no oil fill tube hole in that valley cover, and no holes in the valve covers... how do you add oil?

4. Come on then! Odds are good for a parking lot test ;)

Sure there's holes in the valve cover - 8 of them. Always poured oil carefully in the #1 spark plug hole - with the tube out. This thing has so much tilt it will run right down and back. The Obrien Truckers oil fill hole is useless anyway. They put an allen plug in the back and you can't get to it either. I ground it off and filled it.

5. allwilly

allwilly

Game on brother! Anxious to hear my little Tony fire up!

6. Hard to tell from the pics but been pulling late nights after work all week and all day Saturday. There is so much little stuff that needs done and takes waaaayyyy to long to do. Finally found and fixed all the leaks in the brake system.

Needed a way to go from 3/4" hose to 1-1/2" radiator inlet hose. Got lucky on something at last - the 3/4" steel weld bung fits exactly inside a piece of 1-12" chromoly left over from the roll bar.

housing3.jpg
    housing.jpg

housing2.jpg

That worked so well - let's put the temp gauge there too

water_temp.jpg

Here is a shot of the hood pins - they catch the seam where the fender and hood side meet so its beefy.
    IMG_0979.JPG

7. allwilly

allwilly

Looking great Tony! Ill b down for my ride next weekend

Tyresmoke likes this.
  8. jt306

jt306

PDRA was awesome! Can't wait to see you at greer.

Quain Stott and Dog_Patch like this.
  9. [​IMG]

Dayumn fine shot there Tony :cool: Can't wait to get close enough to hear that baby purr through the fenderwell headers

K:cool::cool:L

Dog_Patch, Tudor and loudbang like this.
  10. Tyresmoke

Tyresmoke
    from Norfork

How soon Tony before you fire up the engine? Looks great.

11. Hey Dave - maybe fire it up this week. May wait till Blacksmith Tom gets here. Planned to fire it up yesterday but one of the AN fittings on the fuel injection broke off so that was a deal breaker. Did get the hood opened up:

hood2.jpg ' hood1.jpg '' IMG_0986.JPG

12. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Bring it to Greer on the 25th even if it's not race-ready.

13. Sure thing Frank! Wouldn't miss it! Started this whole project with that goal :) its going no matter how far from running it is. :D

I'm trying to talk my club mates into a quick spray paint this weekend. Windows are the long pole I think.

Frank Taylor likes this.
  14. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Will we get a YouTube video when it fires??????????

Tyresmoke likes this.
  15. Come on down and hold the camera Enloe :)

16. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I would love to but unfortunately after this weekend my funds are tight. My son and I took a trip. you can see the pics on my thread

17. Dang, that's a big ol' hole in the hood. At least you've got room if you ever want to add a blower or 3. :D

You going to brace the edges? Looks like it might want to flop around.

[​IMG]

18. Tyresmoke

Tyresmoke
    from Norfork

If I lived closer I would be over in a shot

Dog_Patch likes this.
  19. Yeah Big A word on the street is that Tyler is going to make a bitchen frame to go around the hole :rolleyes:

20. Can you get any good structure across the back (even minimal), and run a section of hood back down the center ( front to back) between the two stack runs? Or, has that section of hood already made it over the fence and down the hill?

21. If I wanted to deal with a screw on each side of the cowl, its solid like that. Probably screw it down for now and when you finish the paint prep we can come up with something nicer. :rolleyes: But yeah the steel is over the hill already.

enloe likes this.
  22. keep on it tony....looking good

23. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

A little interview from Rockingham promoting the Greer race and telling what we are all about. The racing footage is first round of qualifying early Friday morning if you were wondering why the stands are empty. They were about 3/4 full Saturday night during our race. This should get you pumped up for a second wind Tony.

24. Awesome! Now I really won't sleep o_O That is a nice looking track at Rockingham. Thanks for posting that Quain.

Monday night Hippie Shawn came over to help with the gauges .... this might get changed depending on time. It was quick and dirty. He also helped fix the mushy brake issue. The fluid tank hanging on the door - now - was down low and it trapped a bubble in it.

hippyr.jpg
    Last night Russ and Tyler came over to check the leakdown on the fuel injection. We thought we could fire it up but we lost an hour on the Obrien Fuckers valley cover - its cast so badly the MAG would not drop in the hole. It was 10:00 and was looking like 15 minutes to crank up time :rolleyes: Then my wife came down and put the cabosh on a late night disturbing the peace event. :(

No big deal plenty to do still :

1. Make Firewall
    2. Mount rear bumper
    3. Fix passenger seat and mount it
    4. Seat belts
    5. Mount rear deck lid on pins (translate - the boot for Tyresmoke)
    6. Trans to belhousing bolts - check it - threads bad on 1
    7. Tighten steering stuff
    8. Set toe
    9. Mount gas pedal
    10. Make shift handle (Blacksmith Tom has this )
    11. Cut install windows - all - lexan fronts
    12. Build wheelie bars
    13. Make headrest
    14. Finish floor
    15. Weld front spring hangers in place
    16. Wire line lock / mag kill / starter
    17. Find a empty parking lot to see if it even goes straight :cool:

Big A and Laydrag are working on the door art :rolleyes:

IMG_2440.jpeg

Tyresmoke, Mac30, Finn Jensen and 4 others like this.
  25. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Looking good Tony, damn, I wish I had your energy, drive and skills. Never believed you'd have this much done by now.
    If Quain will let you run this time W/O paint, I'd concentrate on the build for now and try for paint after Greer!

Tyresmoke and GAOldsman like this.
  26. Thanks DOM - no time to eat :D or drink too many beers. Me and Russ decided to drop the idea of paint for Greer. At this point it will take all the free hours left to get it to run down the track. Love this kind of end of build rush anyway, even if it does promote too much swearing. :p

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    sonic03bluegt likes this.
  27. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Don't worry about paint just get it running. Let me know if I can help.

28. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

29. Thanks sonic! You showed me it can be done with your Falcon progress! I need to call Quain about this fancy clutch its still Greek to me.

So the bolts that came in the fishing tackle box go on the ends of these arms ? Quain told me to put one aluminum bolt and 1 steel nut to start out. Then what about the allen bolts in the vertical position ? Tighten as needed? It doesn't feel like a lot of preload is on it now.
    IMG_3630.JPG

30. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

LOL Tony the allen screws are the base pressure settings. Counter clock wise adds. Find -0- then put about 3 turns in it. just remember counter clockwise. They simply preload the spring. Call me if I haven't already told you about drilling the holes in your bell housing.