Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Changing location of column mount in 28 sedan?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by louder50, Apr 9, 2015.

1. louder50

louder50
    from Michigan

Im worried about the stock column bracket riveted the the bottom of my fuel tank in my 28 sedan leaking someday. I want to deal with this during the build and I am wondering what locarion behind or under the dash people have mounted theirs? Can anybody give me sone ideas? I am installing a 4" recessed firewall if that matters?

2. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

So you planning to use the stock gas tank? People talked me out of that idea. Gave a lot more room to mount gauges without all that petrol in the way.

3. pitman

pitman

If you look outboard of the tank region, the bracket drops down from two cowl flange bolts, to the column mount.
    (It's on a '31 A) 1/8th steel, w/flange ea. side and ~ 2.5" & 3.0" holes hand formed.
    Oldie Int. Driver\'s side.jpg

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  4. Drive'em

Drive'em

IMHO you don't need to worry about your tank leaking. I've owned 29 my roadster for 29 years, it was built in the late 70's and I've had no problem with it leaking at the column mount or the stock gauge.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are soldered, too.

6. metal man

metal man

Like Pitman, I made a drop to reach up between the tank and dash rail on my '29 tub. It bolts on where the tank bolts in and I used the original tank. I also retained the original column mount, but added the second one because I was also worried about the stress eventually causing a leak.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Ford used that type of drop in 1931. I have been told that it can be transplanted to 28-9 with just some drilling.
    Strain from using steering wheel as a handle during entry and probably rivets giving rust a hold in there do make leaks at riser pretty common. I think moving riser clears a worse problem, though. In an A, the tank is about as far from anything that hits the little car as it could be, and if anything DID manage to get there and crush the tank you'd likely already be a closed-coffin case...BUT I think if car is hit front or side ad frame is distorted, the steering will move in relation to the tank...likely causing the bottom riveted riser to rip the tank open. I think that's the good reason to move it.

8. pitman

pitman

Bruce, it seems; if you hit the wheel/column hard enough from the side, it could cause a leak.

9. louder50

louder50
    from Michigan

What about a set up like this? Looks like a piece of 1" square stock that you could mount a regular drop to?

Attached Files:

10. Try to use the 03-31 style col. Drop. My 29 leaked after the car was assembled. Had the tank pressured tested before the install. Had to pull it repair it and reinstall. Used the long drop after that.