Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1950 Ford 8ba Intake Valve Guides

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moldy1956, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Moldy1956

Moldy1956

Just bought my first flathead 8. Had compression issues and found that original valves were not closing all the way in 2 cylinders. Bought all new valve set along with Johnson adjustable lifters. I have everything ready to go. The problem I'm having is with the intake valve guides with the seals. I put them in the freezer over night to contract the seals back but they still won't slide into place. Anyone have any ideas on how to get these in without messing up seals? Thanks for the input in advance!

2. Moldy1956

Moldy1956

Must not be too many old schoolers any more. Bunch of SBC guys now. So sad.

3. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

use pure silicon spray that you can buy in any hardware store and they should go in.

4. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

They should push in, you could put a little lube on them like mentioned above. But mine have always pushed in fairly easily. I doubt freezing it is going to do anything but make them less pliable. Do they stick out farther than this one pictured? These are the last ones I did and they went in pretty easy. image.jpg

5. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

never had that problem

6. Moldy1956

Moldy1956

Thanks flatheadtommy I'll try it. They look about like yours Russco. It might just be a lil carbon buildup still in there.

7. paleot

paleot
    from louisiana

Even with silicone I have had rubber shaved off of the seals when you put them in! The last one I built I used my dremel with a sand paper wheel to put a very slight champher on the guide bore. Don't know if I spelled champher right.

8. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Silicon spray and Dremel the sharp corner will help. However the end result will still be OK. I.E. if you shave off some of the rubber it won't matter. You will never see any adverse affect. My latest flattie DSC04265.jpg

9. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

10. Moldy1956

Moldy1956

I got them in fellas! Silicone and a Lil muscle. Beautiful engine Gene! I have to keep mine stock for now.

Russco likes this.