Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1949 Olds 88 project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Baron, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Picked up the car Monday night. Interior came out great. Like driving a new car now. :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. el_bole

el_bole

Baron,

Love the interior man thats sweet...theres a fellow hamber on the wrong side of the Nation(Long Island NY) with a 49 bubble top....Wish I could see it in person....Thanks for the Vintiques info...very cool...

3. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Installed the new rear springs to drop the rear last week. Came down one inch, and hopefully will drop another inch as the springs settle. (for anybody else doing this ...the lower sping mounting bolts are left handed thread :rolleyes: )
    [​IMG]
    Black headliner looks good with the chrome garnish moldings. Runs and drives great. Wish they were all this quick and easy. Thanks for all the comments.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  4. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This may be one of the most civilized cars I have ever built. Just gets better every day.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Baron,
    That car is awesome and in my top 5 to have some day. Maybe I'll see it in person! A guy near me has 2 of them, a hardtop and a convertible! Someday...... lol
    Paul

6. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finally bite the bullet and bought a 50 wheel for the Olds. I've tried 3 different wheels in the car, but none of them had the " right look ". As the saying goes, "it's only money". I also found a supplier for Olds gas thanks, so the new tank is in and the car even has a working gas gauge now. Now if I can find a set of 3.23's or 3.42's, this will be "finished", and I can start on the 57 Corvette. :)
    [​IMG]

7. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Took the Olds to the MSRA Drag’n in the 50’s Nostalgia meet today. No Rocket(88) ship, but a fun day. Single track with street tires was like driving on ice.
    1st run was my best..... 14.0 @100.7 mph
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Nice ET!
    The car is looking great.

9. Baron..............you are having waaaaay too much fun with that big coupe.
    I had chills reading the adventures involved with your build.
    Congragulations on another fine Cape Ann street / strip terror.

Jim

10. Early Rider Steve

Early Rider Steve

Baron, Great job in a short time. I am building a 50 Olds fastback and was wondering if you could post some photos so we can see how you modified the brake and clutch pedals. Would like to use a 5 speed in mine behind the 350 Olds engine.

11. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

nice work, nice car! have fun draging!

12. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Steve. Here are some pictures( none that good unfortunately). I used a 6 to 1 ratio for both the clutch and brake, welded the extensions on about 5 o'clock position with the pedal at rest. Not enough room to mount my clutch and brake cylinders side by side, so I staggered the mounts. Hope this helps.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks. I built this to be a little more civilized than my 55 Chevy and my Chevy II . Was very happy to run a 14.0 first time out, and this with a single trac rear. Really had to baby it off the line and right through most of second gear. :)

14. Early Rider Steve

Early Rider Steve

Baron; Thank You for the photo's, they will help a lot. Again a great build. Steve

15. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Very nice build and it WORKS! 49 50 Olds one of my all time favorites and yours is SWEET!

16. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Joe. I've wanted one of these for over 35 years. Took me that long to find a good one, but this one was worth the wait. :D

[​IMG]

17. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Baron, that car looks super. It reminds me a lot of the work that went into my 48 98 convertible. I used the front of a 75 Cutlass, and adapted the rear end from the same car to the original Olds rear coil suspension. Mine has a 73 455 and a TH 400 trans. I have always loved those 49-50 coupes. Keep up the good work. I love it

18. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a little striping done on the dash. The windshield garnish moldings are back on after being re-plated this past spring. Also swapped out the steering column for new one as there was no easy way to make the directional light switch functional. I just bought a used chuck for the rear end with 3.42's and hope to swap out the 4.11 gear set in the next couple weeks. All in all it has been a real nice driver.

017.JPG 019.JPG 020.JPG

19. Early Rider Steve

Early Rider Steve

The pinstriping really looks great, don't see Kilroy much anymore nice touch.

20. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. I love these cars, and if I had a 49, 50, I'd want wheels the same as yours. They just plain do it, for me.
    Your car is perfect. Very cool.

23. deto

deto

This is good inspiration for my 49 build...

24. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

That picture with the 55 Chevy is very cool especially if ya make it black and white! I took the liberty hope ya don't mind! Olds and Afins 55a.jpg

Baron likes this.
  25. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking forward to getting this out of winter storage. Been gone since November ! Friend of mine recently sent me this picture he took last summer. First thing will be to swap out the 4.11's for the 3.42s I bought last fall.
    Olds at NE Dragway 2014.jpg

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  26. Arkas

Arkas
    from Germany

I'm really loving your coupe, great work. Just can't wait to have my sedan on the road the next couple of months. Keep it up

27. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Guess you haven't forgot you own it then! I was hoping you grew tired of it! HA HA

28. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9776BWRed.jpeg Looking good Baron. Fond memories of my old "88".

32 4door and Early Rider Steve like this.
  29. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another good day at NE Dragway. Drove up and drove home, without breaking anything. Still unable to get into the thirteen's with the single trac rear end. 14.0...so close,yet so far. I have a couple more events this year to try to get into the 13's. All in good fun. Olds at Drags 8 2 15 a.jpg Olds at Drags 8 2 15 c.jpg

Early Rider Steve likes this.
  30. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Sounds like BIG FUN to me! Glad to see your enjoying your fine ride! Joe

Baron likes this.