Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical help 350 problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike87, Apr 8, 2015.

1. mike87

mike87

Have a Chevy 350 87 with 305 heads from 93 edelbrock carb and performer intake. Will start fine idles a little high bit when I first start driving it wants to stall under load, wot bogs , even if I let it warm up once driving a little will idle fine when stopping has me confused

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Basics....
    Timing, fuel flow, ignition.
    You'll have to be more explicit if you need more information.
    new engine to you? Tuned up? Temperature? Fuel pressure? etc.....

3. 50pontiacguy

50pontiacguy

Fuel or ignition problem, probably the former. To venture a guess carb issue, loading up.

4. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Crap in gas tank clogging filter..

5. mike87

mike87

OK sorry not specific new fuel tank,pump and filter, fuel pressure about 5psi set initial timing at 14degrees advance motor has done this since I got it about 6months ago have replaced intake because it had older intake and if u put a thermostat in would blow out the back because couldn't seem to get it tight enough with center bolts. Tuned carb with vacuum gauge at highest vacuum right air/fuel screw didn't seem to kill engine when turned all the way down don't rember what vacuum was reading when tuned but seems I need my idle rpms around 1200rpms to get it to run right if they get lower starts stalling when stopped in gear has 3speed 400 with 4.10 gears in rear if you need any more info or have some ideas please let me know any help greatly appreciated not real used to carb motors but something isn't right

6. 69fury

69fury

stalls under load+ high idle+ changes when warms up+ new intake manifold= vacuum leak. -rick

edit: i had a Small Block Dodge that had crappy angle on the decks and the heads would sit uneven never letting the intake seal right.... you said it's got different heads on the block from factory. Check for vacuum leak (play with your choke). Something may not be right with the deck-head-intake sealing...-rick

7. Holley makes a good trouble free simple carb. :D

Rick (69 Fury) probably called it. look for a vacuum leak and then go from there.

8. mike87

mike87

OK thanks will get the torch out and see if there's a leak thnx

9. 69fury

69fury

The intake leak i experienced was internal- from the lifter valley into the ports due to the angle of the decks. It couldn't be found externally. but if i closed the choke off on the carb it ran right. i got an engine that someone musta used a beltsander to deck the block because of the taper front to back tilting the heads. -rick

10. fsae0607

fsae0607

Another simple thing... is your gas cap vented?

11. What number of Edelbrock is it. I have a 1406 that did similar. It was went lean at WOT. I got a Calibrating kit,and did some tuning with it to solve the problem.

12. mike87

mike87

I think it is a 1406 carb I have a old quadrajet I may try it on and see if problem continues

13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The Edelbrock (Carter and Webber badged AFB's also) don't like very much fuel pressure; you said 5 lbs, and that may even be too much for your particular carburetor. Check the floats to make sure the needle and seat are closing/opening correctly also. You sure have a growing list of things to check. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.