Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest scam or not

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chainsaw, Apr 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy wants to look at ,buy my 55. He is 2 hrs away, has my address, first name and vin #. Now he wants me to send a picture of the registration for his bank. Never heard of that before . Legit or scam ? Thanks

2. brady1929

brady1929

3. 56shoebox

56shoebox

SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

5. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

6. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Stop dealing with the guy immediately if not sooner. do not answer anymore of his calls, emails, smoke signals, etc.

7. mike bowling

mike bowling

No way, Jose!!!!!!!! How the hell did he already get THAT much info. without purchase?? Run , Forest, Run!

8. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

Stranger Danger!

Spoggie and Jay71 like this.
  9. Don't reply to any more of his e mails SCAM! Bruce.

10. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

A fool and his money are soon seperated. Then you want to know how the fool made the money in the first place. Don't be that guy.

11. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Whoa fellows, I'm just as suspicious as the next guy, but in this case the guy is probably trying to get a loan to buy your car and his bank wants the info.
    So, tell him to give you the name and telephone number of the loan officer. It's certainly easy enough to verify the truth here.
    I'm not a believer in taking loans to buy my toys, but money is money and if you want to sell the car, then just protect yourself and go with the flow.

bobwop, Hnstray, R35J1S and 3 others like this.
  12. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I still find it hard to believe that intelligent people will give out their vin # to a total stranger

13. I guess Im too trusting, just what are they trying to pull. I always heard giving the vin was ok, got my name on caller id, I guess, and asked for address so he could come see it Sun. Says his bank needs the info for the loan. Now calls back and wants the reg.

14. No e mail, talking on phone only

15. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

Can you deal directly with the bank branch?
    Trust no one. Personally, I'd wait for someone with cash. ;)

16. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I'm either confused or just ignorant, but if you have a legit car with a legit title, how can a scammer hurt you by knowing your name and VIN number? I've seen photos of VIN plates on ebay, autotrader, etc. all the time.

As I said, deal directly with the bank. Easy enough to verify that it's a REAL bank, don't ya think?

clem, bobwop, Hnstray and 3 others like this.
  17. Good rule of thumb...if you are uncomfortable or suspicious then don't do it.

Weezy1930 likes this.
  18. A Rodder

A Rodder

Sheesh, not everyone carrys large sums of cash on hand to make a purchase.
    Could it be a scam., sure. But there is a good chance he is financing it and I guaranty a bank will not cut a check to someone who is not on the title. Maybe he is doing prep work for the loan.

I would ask a couple questions and get the banks info and call them after googling / verifying the bank is legit.

In this economy there is no way I would shoot down a possible buyer based on what you've told us.

bobwop, Hnstray, jazz1 and 1 other person like this.
  19. A Rodder

A Rodder

When he wants to overpay and have you cover the shipping......then run. :)

(I know you said he was somewhat close, it was just the point)

Hnstray and Weezy1930 like this.
  20. He said he is trying to get the money lined up, he offered a cashiers check ,I said cash only. He said he would bring cash and a trailer when he comes by for the extra parts. Just trying to figure out what the scam would be (if there is one) if he says he is bringing cash and coming in person to make offer. I didnt keep the reg. receipt, 5 year plate. All I have is a clear title.

21. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

So he hasn't seen the car but want's a bank loan[bit sus]if he needs the reg ,tell him you will give it to him when he views the car,that will remove any doubt you have if he agrees,good luck,Gaz!

clem likes this.
  22. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I have to agree, I don't see where or how it could be a scam......but I would ask for the loan officers name and phone him to verify and give the info to him direct, then make the sale,hopefully.

Edit: I would really like to see what the guys saying scam think of how he could be scammed from this. VIN# are available easily enough to anyone by walking up and looking in the windshield of all newer cars so why would giving the VIN# to someone be used against someone?

bobwop, Hnstray and Texas57 like this.
  23. jcs64

jcs64

Just went through this when I bought a new truck, The bank asked for a pic or copy of the guys REG.
    paranoid is Good, but calling his bank will get the bottom of thing real quick.

jeff

Weezy1930 likes this.
  24. It sounds all good to me, just be cautious as you already are being.

25. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

don't need to show anything unless he's buying for sure and when your signing over the title/BOS.
    cash in hand and in person only. and check the 100s & 50s to be certain
    and it is possible to scam from obtaining paperwork info. changing info is very easy to do, especially with these old cars. even if it doesn't work for them, it can bring u headaches.

26. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

2 hrs away is not that far. He could easily come, take a look, leave you a cash deposit, then come back next weekend with the trailer etc once he has the loan settled. At least that's how I'd handle it.

clem, slowmotion and 56don like this.
  27. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

x2

Trust but verify. get the number and then google it to insure it's for a legit bank. Call the main bank line and verify his loan officer works there, then ask for the loan officer. Send the info to the loan officer, not the buyer. Then sell the car to this dude and let that bank collect some interest.

28. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

If he is talking to you via phone you should be able to get a feel for the guy. I just sold a truck to a guy 3 hrs from me. Gave him the vin and he brought a bank check. Was the nicest guy. He just didn't want to make a 6 hr round trip then another 6 hr round trip to get the truck. If you are that suspicious tell him to meet you half way to look at the car. make him come in a week day so you can take the check to bank and make sure it's good.

I also wire transferred fuunds to a-rodder all the way across the country and had absolutely no issues and felt very comfortable with the deal from speaking directly with him on the phone.

Not every one is out to scam you especially if they will talk on phone to you. I tell the craigslist scammers to call me they text me back and say they can't because they are def. To which I respond I'm blind so this deal isn't going to work..

clem, Hnstray and A Rodder like this.
  29. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Give me your bank account number, social security number, etc...........etc..............it's ok to do so, Duh!

30. Have YOUR banker deal with HIS banker. Only way I would do it. The bankers know who/what's legit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.