Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Official [Ed] Winfield Speed Equipment Thread!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gwhite, Jul 3, 2013.

1. I have owned 2 Winfield "Crowsfoot" heads both were stamped 7 on the pad, anyway first number was 7 on each. Both heads were milled, the first, which the owner stated was "cherry" turned out to have been milled .200 was prick punched. Seller stated that he had run 114 in 1940 as I remember I also bought 3 Winfield SR. BB's for $100, 1 complete 2 missing linkage and chokes. My current Winfield "Crowsfoot" has been milled .060 and filled . Both heads had been identically relieved in valve area. I think I might be able to clear 2" intakes if I wanted to. The web or gasket area between valve pockets is/was .190 to .200 so I have to use a solid copper gasket. The current head calculates to approx 9.5 to 1 on the stroker and leaks compression at thinner sealing area's on 2 and 3. Head flexes it is not warped block is flat.

Outback likes this.
  2. Jeremy Shay

Jeremy Shay
    from Las Vegas

These showed up at sunday show not so long ago
    [​IMG]

Lil'Alb likes this.
  3. Received my latest issue of FAST and they are starting a series on Ed Winfield, the only thing wrong is the magazine comes out quarterly, long wait !

Outback likes this.
  4. image.jpg image.jpg Very excited - here's a Winfield V series carb I picked up - it's spec is noted by a 4V means it has a 1" bore and a barrel throttle vs butterfly.
    Destined for my period mid 20s T speedster.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    Outback and gwhite like this.
  5. 25mercury

25mercury
    from California

Here is a Winfield 5H on my Mercury Speedster. The H series is the same as the V series. V is vertical (updraft) and H is horizontal (sidedraft). DSC04924_2.jpg

Showrail, falcongeorge, Jet96 and 2 others like this.
  6. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

25 Mercury, Very nice! including the DSM coil.

7. 25mercury

25mercury
    from California

Thanks Jim. Will you be at Auburn ? There is a very slim chance I might get the Mercury up 431563_3724654318545_1963857773_n.jpg to the Auburn hillclimb, otherwise I'll drag out the A pickup again (Winfield head and carbs of course). Hope to see you there. Mike

Outback likes this.
  8. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

Probably not, I don't travel well yet.

9. gnrs.jpg pair of Winfield BB S's on Riley 2 port with Riley manifold

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    Outback, Showrail and kadillackid like this.
  10. George Wight intake for CC Winfields. Ports are huge on this. 1 7/8" opening. george wight intake 3.jpg george wight intake 1.jpg george wight intake 2.jpg

Lil'Alb, Carter and gwhite like this.
  11. image.jpg Well my speedster will be cooking now!
    Scored a second Winfield Model 4V barrel throttle carb to mske a set for a proper twin carb setup on the T engine.

Now all I have to do is find a period intske or fab one up!

Anyone have any plans for a T dual updraft intake?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    Outback likes this.
  12. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

I have the Winfield manifold in the attached pics (sorry about the pic quality). It has S66 cast into the bottom of it, with a B stamped into the manifold just below the S66. Which Winfield carbs suit, and what else can you tell me about it?? Thanks

Attached Files:

13. That is a intake to use with an S or SR model B they stamped intakes to correspond to carbs.
    Winfield was very good in stamping if #s to show carb size, type of carb or bowl, updraft = U, downdraft =D etc

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  14. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Thanks for the response, appreciate it.

15. I could be mistaken, but I think the 'intermediate' sized carbs (AA, BB, CC, etc.) had matched intakes as well. Pretty sure @Carter has a BB on his roadster.

Technically, that's a downdraft intake for an S or SR (size B). Could probably be used an a updraft but the carb mounting pad angle would be off & it wouldn't bolt to the exhaust manifold. With a BB or larger carb, the intake would likely create a bottleneck due to its smaller size.

Outback likes this.
  16. gwhite is correct. If it is stamped B then that is what carb to use. A BB carb can be used with an adapter. There are BB intakes and they are stamped BB. I think this was one of Winfields biggest faults in that you needed the correct intake for the carb you were using. Might be why a lot of guys went to Stromberg. As far as updraft Winfield intakes not sure I ever saw one. Most updraft carbs use adapters to existing stock intakes.

17. Winfield literature had a drawing showing basic design of adapters that might be needed to use larger size carburetor. The only Winfield manifolds I have seen have been for B or BB not saying other sizes didn't exist but if they do I haven't seen one in many years of swap meets.

18. pumpman

pumpman

I recently picked this up, and don't know too much about. I thought with all of clean and shiny winfield stuff here that my dirty old carb would set the tone of "as found". And yes, I intend to clean her up. The throttle flap is stuck, and suggestion on the best and safest way to free her up?

Attached Files:

19. I have found that sometimes the throttle shaft is frozen or stuck in the bearings and have had success freeing the shaft up by tapping the shaft lightly back and forth with a piece of brass plus the use of a light oil or wd40 . DO NOT use anything other than your fingers or some other soft material on the butterfly especially on the thinner edge. The late Mike Hart suggested carefully using a propane torch to lightly heat the casting but I have had better luck tapping on the shaft. The shaft is usually pressing the butterfly against the side of the throttle bore.

20. pumpman

pumpman

Thanks Bill, I actually did what you suggested and it worked. Now my mornings will be moving back and forth the linkage arm for a couple of minutes. I used a little PB blaster and everything is moving very well considering it's been sitting for God knows how long.

21. Hi, use this and you will never use anything else again! (except a little heat) Please forgive the overworked hand with Zinc Chromate over spray on nails!:eek:
    [​IMG]

22. Carter

Carter

Wow, that is fantastic! Yours?

That is correct, Gary. I have both B and BB intakes, and they are the only two intake sizes I've seen.

41FordSuperDeluxe likes this.
  23. RussTee

RussTee

Does anyone make new choke tubes for winfield would love to get two for my SR downdrafts

24. image.jpg Here's a gem I came across from the Speedster Ralley - T speedster with Rajo and four Winfield Model H carbs - she's a real looker

25. Carter

Carter

More stuff, first picture is what I believe to be the original yellow, that was under many layers of paint, on a 6:1 head. 20150719_135838.jpg

M foundry mark...

20150719_135857.jpg
    1406 serial number, 18mm plugs.
    20150719_135905.jpg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    gwhite likes this.
  26. Carter

Carter

20150719_140010.jpg 20150719_135948.jpg

Dual Winfield intake of unknown origin.

S66 cast number and stamped B on Winfield intake in first picture

20150719_140004.jpg

gwhite likes this.
  27. Carter

Carter

D next to an A to show size difference between Winfield's largest and smallest S/SR type carburetors.

20150719_140044.jpg

20150719_140100.jpg

gwhite and waxhead like this.
  28. 28downunder

28downunder

Here's my Winfield s66 intake, I'm looking for a S B or SR B downdraft carburetor to suit it ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1438494895.517731.jpg

Outback, Lil'Alb and waxhead like this.
  29. winfield knob 2.jpg Not sure how fast this will make my roadster go but it is the first and only one I've ever seen. Winfield shifter knob, bakelite with a brass insert.

Outback and brjnelson like this.
  30. pumpman

pumpman

Now THAT is definitely cool!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015