Register now to get rid of these ads!

History UPDATE - vintage drag race pics youv'e never seen

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Verbal Kint, May 16, 2014.

1. Awesome. Love the Corvette flopper....

2. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

Love the pics!

Drag racing is as "traditional" as you can get when it comes to hot rods. JMO

Keep these cool vintage pics coming.

3. raven

raven

Back when they used real cars...

4. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

really cool, that 57 in post 17 looks like thy were using a trash can cut in half for a hoodscoop!

5. Very Cool, used to go to Glendive MT back in the high school day. Remember the view the minute i seen the mountains. Totally awesome.

6. That AMX is still up in Great Falls. He had it out at the Crusin the Drag event a couple of years ago. I think he still runs it. Early on there was a strip in Belgrade, Lewistown is still running, and I think one in Havre.

7. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Is that an original super/stock AMX?

8. jaxx

jaxx

that looks like the air strip at Great Falls - I grew up in Cut Bank, not to far from there. - jaxx

9. I love looking at those old photos! thanks for sharing!

10. dan griffin

dan griffin

Great stuff reminds me of my wastedchildhood.

11. portage

portage
    from Montana

Glendive, Mt.
    Local club called the "Hustlers" put the events on.

12. portage

portage
    from Montana

The AMX is now owned by a guy in Havre, Mt.-- and it hasn't been "raced" for years. It was originally campaigned by a guy from Lewistown, Mt---Dick Erlandson. It's apparently for sale, however, he thinks it's worth waaaay more than it really is!!!!

13. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boy! That shot of the '55 and '56 Chevys steppin' off really brings me back. Someone said this shows how far drag racing has come. Yeah it has, but in my opinion, not in a positive way. I raced D/A (flathead powered) in the early '60's with a car that we built (yes, safety hubs, scattershield, and all) for less than $500 dollars (ran in the 15's) and had a ball. I live 20 miles from BIR. Went to the National meet there one summer, and won't ever go back. You can't be any kind of amateur racer today.

14. tell the owner he should take his originals, lay them out for a production hard backed coffee table book.
    I think a collection of shots like this in a well done presentation would be appreciated highly and in todays "yearning for anything vintage" market, would sell out right quick like.

15. Any more or was that the whole lot?

16. I got another small batch of pics

Here is my favorite (I'll get the rest loaded tonight)

0349_001.jpg

17. The Corvette Fc is the Northwest Nite car. These pics sure look like screen caps from video.YouTube?
    Look like caps from Woody Woodford YouTube videos.
    See what you think.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  18. Another batch,

These pics are some local hotrodders, these guys are in there 70's now, most still have cars and raise hell occasionally.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the coupe in this article was well known back in the day while the owner attended college

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Great pictures thanks for posting.

20. Great pics, thanks!

21. I'm lucky enough to see a handful of these old farts every weekend. Its fun to watch the guys argue/compare notes while looking through the pics over breakfast.